pug 206

shot shot

I've just put a deposit on a pugeot 206 1.4 LX manual, '99

Knowing the vast knowledge pool that PW is, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, and more importantly, is there anything to look for? It's going to be serviced as soon as I get it, so is there anything that should be checked?

thanks in advance :yes:

I had problems with the suspension on mine eventually.

If the roads in your neck of the woods are as bad as some of the roads I've bounced along in Ireland, I'd take a serious look before buying proper :yes:

And the oil filter was a swine of get to - but mine was a diesel.

And the driver seat springs went too.

And no matter what we tried, it always veered to the nearside.

I hated my 206 with a passion !!!

I had problems with the suspension on mine eventually.

If the roads in your neck of the woods are as bad as some of the roads I've bounced along in Ireland, I'd take a serious look before buying proper :sly:

You have no idea :yes:

And the oil filter was a swine of get to - but mine was a diesel.

And the driver seat springs went too.

And no matter what we tried, it always veered to the nearside.

:good: it may have that problem already

I hated my 206 with a passion !!!

I'll give it a thought, thanks for the input :good:

Misfiring problem with 1,150cc models could lead to spiked catalytic converters. Make sure central locking system works Reports of 1,150cc 206s still being sold with faulty ECUs and a shortage of chips to repair them in March 2001.

Reports of side airbags going off for no reason.

Reports of water getting into electric door locking control box of late 1998/early 1999 build cars. Easy DIY replacement using Haynes manual, saves typical £55 garage labour cost (part alone £75). (Peugeot Customer Services will sometimes pay for the job.)

'Whirring whine' from 1.4HDI may be failing timing belt tensioner, which is a roller bearing device like the idler pulley, but with a reddish rubber/nylon damper. Gates cambelt kits include this part. Wise also to replace waterpump which is driven by the timing belt

Water gets in through bonnet vent and plenum chamber underneath is not well drained so drips are carried in through vents in the control box. Also wets the carpet and leads to steaming up in winter.

Repeat of Peugeot 106 problem of sudden losses of power caused by faulty throttle position sensing potentiometer seems to re-occur on some 206 1.4s.

If driven through floodwater, gearbox can suffer from water ingress via breather.

Technical problems with automatic gearboxes on 1.4s led to many orders being cancelled in early 2001. Continued problems seem due to nothing more than an external hydraulic valve, replacement cost £45 + labour. Though some cars have needed a new autobox every year. Problems persist with automatic transmission management systems.

External factory fitted sunroof prone to rattles for which Peugeot has no cure.

Reports of severely rusted exhaust systems on GTis after just 12 months. On 2.0 litre cars, one piece exhaust systems prone to rotting through of back box which Peugeot dealers say necessitates replacement of entire system at £900.

On 206 GTIs used for short runs from cold emulsified oil can block the feeds to the hydraulic tappets leading them to fail within 3 years. The cure is to fit oil feeds and tappets from the 2.2 engine. Independents can do this for half the price.

Reports of engine mountings repeatedly failing on 1.4s.

On 2.0 HDIs, rubber cushioned timing belt pulley needs replacing at same time as timing belt (60k - 70k miles) otherwise can separate.

Fault in indicator stalks very common on 206s, especially Multiplex, from July 2001. Many owners force and break them. Free fix available in France from December 2002, in UK from January 2003 for cars under warranty. Replacement column stalks £26.50 from www.gsfcarparts.com

Lower ball joints frequent MOT failure point.

Seat runners of 3 door frequently fail.

End of plastic dipstick of 1.6 HDI engine can break and drop into sump requiring removal of sump to retrieve it.

The electronic control unit distributing Multiplex current for the headlights seems to be failing regularly and is £500 to replace.

Valve box problems with automatics (typical symptom won't change up into 4th).

Borrowed from HonestJohn, hope it helps

Edited by ph5172

I've just put a deposit on a pugeot 206 1.4 LX manual, '99

Knowing the vast knowledge pool that PW is, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, and more importantly, is there anything to look for? It's going to be serviced as soon as I get it, so is there anything that should be checked?

thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Your gonna ram the **** out of it what ever is wrong with it, thus turning it into an oil eating dog with a slipping clutch. Your male, thats what happens.

Make sure its safe and do a plate check to make sure its not been written off as so many '1st cars' are (due to the afore mentioned)

Best of luck and don't push your luck to far with it!

:lol:

There not a bad looking car, nor a bad drive. The pedals are a bit close together for mens feet but you will get used to it, just dont try and drive one in wellys! We see a few at work but not normaly too much greif. driveshafts can get a bit knocky but a new shaft wont be more than about £100 fitted. its french so the electrics are never spot on but there is worse you can buy out there!

thanks for the replies guys, ph5172, it's most appreciated :rolleyes:

as for some of you :lol: I'm 6' 5", can't fit in a corsa, can barely fit in a clio, and anything vw is wayyyy outside of my price bracket.

It's particularly clean inside and out, The clutch and gearbox are spot on, the brakes are near perfect. Ok, so it may not growl "look at me!!!!", but the price is right, and i can fit behind the wheel :lol: