Last nights foxes and festive periods mixed bags

sako751sg

post-18885-1262630430.jpgpost-18885-1262630405.jpgpost-18885-1262630262.jpg

post-18885-1262630211.jpgpost-18885-1262629971.jpg[attachment

=31819:jsw_040.jpg]

Have been baiting the ma-in-laws place for the last month,waiting to shoot it with the big moon.Have fed 3 different areas,all within 70 yards of the house and shootable from different rooms,with ripped up breasted pheasant carcasses.Had 2 foxes on boxing night with the new .17 hmr but the bait was still going with fox tracks everywhere in the snow so decided to try last night aswell.No need for a lamp with a good moon,and with the snow its a great way to control your foxes.The first shot was at five to midnight,and nailed a dog from the study with the .17.I knew it was a good hit but the fox legged it so with the snow dinging on i thought i had better check for blood before his marks were all covered.Where he was sitting was a big splash mark of blood and loads of it all the way to the wood,which was about 50 yards away from where he was shot.I stuck the dog in but he came back after about 5 mins with nothing,so i stuck him in again.After about 15 mins i saw him walking about 100 yards away down the track carrying the fox,which was alive and no more,and i was one very happy dog owner.The shot had been in the neck but had missed bone and he was a mass of blood.There were others after that,but i had to wait until 3am before one stood for a shot.Again it was from the study,but this time i had to use the .243 as she has smelled our follow up for the first one and didnt came any closer than the 140ish yard mark.This time the fox went nowhere and the v-max stopped her on the spot.I called it a night at 5.30am but there were marks after that so theres at least another one using the bait.When i woke up 9,the bait was surrounded by crows and maggies,and in the next couple of hours i nailed 4 with the .17.

A few more pics from a couple of walked up shoots with the wee man.He got a W&S .410 for xmas,but its a tad heavy and he hasnt shot anything with it yet,but he will get there.Boxing day we covered 100ish acres and had a pheas,two frenchies,two snipe and a cushie.Not a big bag but an enjoyable one.

New years day we covered about 250 acres and with the snow so deep Mackenzie(wee man) took the camera and not the gun and just snapped away.We ended up with ten pheas,three frenchies,one woodcock,one snipe and a cushie,which was an excellent mixed bag and hard work.He also took some excellent pictures on the walk and he was fair chuffed with the results.Hopefully he gets as good with the gun.

post-18885-1262629559.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

Nice one with the foxes, however there was a call for restraint from BASC for shooting wildfowl and waders from 28th December.

Henry,im sure you will have read the whole restraint document therefore will know the actions they were guiding folks to take.Actions included setting bag limits or lowering bag limits in accordance with bird behaviour.Im almost sure shooting one snipe and one woodcock would come under a sensible limit for the species mentioned.

Dave.

Henry,im sure you will have read the whole restraint document therefore will know the actions they were guiding folks to take.Actions included setting bag limits or lowering bag limits in accordance with bird behaviour.Im almost sure shooting one snipe and one woodcock would come under a sensible limit for the species mentioned.

Dave.

Absolutely, however this, IMHO, is more important....

BASC urges all countryside users to minimise disturbance of waterfowl and their habitats

Absolutely, however this, IMHO, is more important....

Your opinion is bang on Henry,and mirrors mine,and thats the reason you see no waterfowl in the pictures.I listened to the BASC rep on the radio and with that statement he was urging all people,and he mentioned all the public,to stay away from waterways and areas where fowl are to stop them taking flight and using energy for no reason.What you see in the picture,is a good representation of bird species found on pheasant and rough shooting areas and there were no fowl for me to disturb and i didnt go with the intention of disturbing birds that were soon to be on the banned list.If some folk think it is wrong to shoot one snipe and one woodcock that was flushed during the walk 6 days before a ban,then maybe a subscription to the RSPB would be in order.

Nice pics there. :oops:

You've got a lot more snow than us.

Cheers,

Mark.

Cheers Mark,and all.Seems everyone is saying the same about the amount of snow here.We do usually get more and we would be at an absolute standstill if the wind got up too.Its the worst i can remember and i have never seen the wildlife so affected before.Im presuming by your pics you stalk a bit.Very interesting to see what heads are thrown this year,as the minerals needed for antler growth must be in short supply at the moment,and i wonder if we will get an extra amount of malforms due to frost damage?

Im presuming by your pics you stalk a bit.Very interesting to see what heads are thrown this year,as the minerals needed for antler growth must be in short supply at the moment,and i wonder if we will get an extra amount of malforms due to frost damage?

Yes, I had my best buck season last year, 28 for 40 stalks, including 7 medal heads and a nice 9 point freak.

The Roe around here have still been able to get plenty of feeding, I've been seeing them out on Rape, Kale, Beet tops, turnips and the game crops. But we've only had 6-8" with less in some areas and had a bit of a thaw today.

I saw 2 bucks on Saturday morning that had at least 6" of new antler growth.

In some parts we get a high percentage of freak heads but it certainly will be interesting to see what comes of them this year.

Cheers,

Mark.

post-18885-1263152210.jpg

post-18885-1263152221.jpg

Yes, I had my best buck season last year, 28 for 40 stalks, including 7 medal heads and a nice 9 point freak.

The Roe around here have still been able to get plenty of feeding, I've been seeing them out on Rape, Kale, Beet tops, turnips and the game crops. But we've only had 6-8" with less in some areas and had a bit of a thaw today.

I saw 2 bucks on Saturday morning that had at least 6" of new antler growth.

In some parts we get a high percentage of freak heads but it certainly will be interesting to see what comes of them this year.

Cheers,

Mark.

Cracking ratio of bucks to outings Mark,and the same with the ratio of medal heads.Havent seen anything near 6 inch yet,about an inch is the most i have seen.Had a 10 pointer last year that scored 157.5 points and after 3 years of trying it was good to get him.

• 2 months later...