Foxing in the Snow

ollie

Well decided today as the snow was still on the mountains that the chances are the foxes are still below ground. So myself and my Fathers best mate headed to do a few holes with the terrier. It is about a mile walk from the road to the river where the holes are located and the whole way there were loads of fox tracks so the signs were promising. Anyway the 2nd set of holes we came to the terrier left me about 100 yards from the holes and straight in (when this dog does this you know its a fox). these holes are on a steep bank so I took my positon at the top of the bank and my dads mate at the bottom.

10 mins gone and the first fox comes out to the mouth of the hole and looks straight up the bank at me; I can't move as its looking straight at me and eventually its goes back into the hole. About 5 mins later out it comes again, only this time in a hurry across the bank and heading down the Glen; so I follow and bang the fox rolls, look down at my dads mate and he fired aswell so we must have fired at identical times, anyway dead fox shared. The terrier never showed after this fox so we figured the Vixen could be in aswell; sure enough about 15 mins later she appears and again runs across the bank only up the glen this time and I follow and bang she rolls again; I look down at my dads mate and again he fired at the same time :good: so we had shared two. This time again the terrier never appeared so we thought there could be another one in it; sure enough about 10 mins later another one appears and my dads mate fired and the fox turned back in. We though initially that he had missed but we walked to the point where he fired and there was a lot of blood, we walked to the mouth of the hole and the terrier was trying to drag the dead fox out but unfortunately we couldn't retrieve it because we didn't have a spade.

Anyway 3 less foxes, the last one looked like a dog fox so that would make it 2 dogs and a vixen. Now this is the first time I have ever bolted 3 foxes from the same hole and the wee terrier did incredibly well to bolt the 3 of them within about 45 mins by himself. This is now 6 foxes this terrier has bolted in the last 5 days.

post-21-1263489707.jpg

Myself pictured with the 2 foxes we shared

post-21-1263489779.jpg

The terrier getting his well deserved reward

lovely stuff, really beautiful hills in the background

nice dog too! 6 in 5days!

Yeh thats 2 outings, the last outing the dog bolted 3 aswell but out of seperate holes and unfortuantely I wasn't there that day. The farmers will be well pleased as this is a big sheep farm.

Nice one mate! cant wait to get my JR/BR down a hole after this ridiculous ban is lifted, ive said since i had him as a pup the first fox we bolt and i shoot i'm going to mount! he's showing a lot of promise and at 6 months old he should be big and strong enough soon. I havent had my own terrier before but have been with my friend/hunt terriers a lot as a teenager and wanted my own ever since!

Nice one mate! cant wait to get my JR/BR down a hole after this ridiculous ban is lifted, ive said since i had him as a pup the first fox we bolt and i shoot i'm going to mount! he's showing a lot of promise and at 6 months old he should be big and strong enough soon. I havent had my own terrier before but have been with my friend/hunt terriers a lot as a teenager and wanted my own ever since!

Do you think the ban will ever be lifted? This pacticular dog has been bolting foxes on a steady basis for about 2 or 3 years and you never usually have to stand any longer than half an hour. Also very rarely have to dig which is a bonus.

good going ollie , i havent got out for a dig yet the places i go the ground is still hard and the spade would just bounce off it and if the fox didnt bolt then my terrier would stay for hours till she was dug to, the last 2 digs at the end of last year was 2 and a half hour digs to her 6 ft and 7ft and there was no chance of her walking out , so as i say with the ground still hard i wont risk putting her in a hole yet

well done 'ollie' and also your farthers mate and the terrier,I love the pic with

the terrier collecting his reward :hmm: it's funny how they wont leave it go,

even when the foxes are stone dead.

Good luck luck to you all on your fuiture hunting trips,and thanks

for the story and pics... :yes:

Regards...(julian)

good going ollie , i havent got out for a dig yet the places i go the ground is still hard and the spade would just bounce off it and if the fox didnt bolt then my terrier would stay for hours till she was dug to, the last 2 digs at the end of last year was 2 and a half hour digs to her 6 ft and 7ft and there was no chance of her walking out , so as i say with the ground still hard i wont risk putting her in a hole yet

Alrite mate. I don't know how you can be annoyed with all that digging. The one thing I will say about that terrier is that he usually bolts them, I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of foxes it has failed to bolt and if it can't bolt them we can usually just call him out. The only time we will dig is in the spring time if a Vixen is killing lambs. A lot of the terrain we are on is close to the shore with rocks so you couldn't dig if you wanted to. The terrier in the pic has a brother which is very keen aswell but he just isn't as good as this guy yet.