What would you buy?

Steve29

This is really a theoretical situation as I'm not in this position yet, but hopefully will be in the next 6 months or so. It would just be interesting to hear your thoughts.

If you had £700 - £800 quid to spend on a shotgun which met all of the following criteria, what would you buy?

- 12 gauge O/U

- 3 inch chambers

- Multi choke

- 28-30 inch barrel

- reasonably light

Basically i'm after one gun to suit all situations as I do a lot of rough/pigeon shooting, some driven game and some clay shooting.

???

I was in the same situation a couple of years back, and my budget was slightly higher. I was intending to go for a Beretta silver pigeon or similar. I ended up going for a Lanber 12g o/u instead as it just felt perfect. The quality of the gun looked brilliant, felt solid, looked nice, nice wood and fitted me perfect. It was multi choke, ejector, 30inch barrels and if i remember rightly came in at £700 or less brand new.

Ive had the gun now for a couple of years and its still going strong. Still feels really good when I take it out of the cabinet and looks brand new still, even tho I tend to use it more than some of my other guns.

Does it have to be an o/u. I bought the lanber because i specifically wanted an o/u. But, my first "expensive" gun, was one which I bought because i wanted one which could do everything - rough shooting, pigeons, clays etc... and because of those reasons I bought a beretta 391 semi. Jack of all trades really, and a 2nd hand one is £600 upwards these days. Of course, some shoots frown on semi`s, but ive never had a problem. Everyone I shoot with trusts me, so it doesnt matter what im shooting with, they know im not going to accidentally kill someone.

If i was you, id just nip down your local gunshop and see what they have in your budget. Try a few out to see how they fit, then come home and do some more research on the models you like. Certainly dont rush into buying something until you have done all your research.

You say you want a light gun =more felt recoil

3" chambers /only needed if wildfowling

For a first gun clays pigeon rough shooting o/u prob best choice

semi auto not best choice for first gun frowned on for game shooting

browning

miroku

beretta

light gun 3" chambers =more felt pain

This is really a theoretical situation as I'm not in this position yet, but hopefully will be in the next 6 months or so. It would just be interesting to hear your thoughts.

If you had £700 - £800 quid to spend on a shotgun which met all of the following criteria, what would you buy?

- 12 gauge O/U

- 3 inch chambers

- Multi choke

- 28-30 inch barrel

- reasonably light

Basically i'm after one gun to suit all situations as I do a lot of rough/pigeon shooting, some driven game and some clay shooting.

:lol:

Yes.

Light is better, as feeling the recoil a bit more is better than lugging a lump of dead weight around when rough shooting I find. And if the gun fits then felt recoil won't be a problem anyway (unless you're a right nancy boy that is :lol: )

But don't really need 3" chambers, but a lot of guns with them anyway.

Yes.

Light is better, as feeling the recoil a bit more is better than lugging a lump of dead weight around when rough shooting I find. And if the gun fits then felt recoil won't be a problem anyway (unless you're a right nancy boy that is :angry: )

But don't really need 3" chambers, but a lot of guns with them anyway.

:unsure: My thoughts exactly, i'm used to getting knocked about a bit playing rugby so can handle the extra felt recoil. Might blacken me up a bit on clays but only really do more than 50 in one go twice, maybe three times a year.

Beretta silver pigeon! Might even have one for sale then!

I'd love one, so get in touch if you do! Be at least six months before i've cobbled the cash together though.

Good to hear what everyone has to say, at least confirms i'm looking around on the right lines. Interesting to see that no one mentioned Bettinsoli Diamond, Yildiz SPZME, Webley 912, Lincoln Premier, etc?

Steve

For that money you really shouldn't consider anything but a good s/h Browning/Miroku or Beretta. They are different. I like the former (and it is said that new Berettas may suffer from quality control problems, though you won't be buying new)) but you ought to pick up and mount a few of each to decide which suits you best. I also think 30 inch is the better bet in the long run. (It's not so long ago that I started out myself. It's a learning curve, that's for sure.)

I would go for a gun that feels right rather than feels light, a heavyer gun that fits well and is balanced will feel lighter than a lighter ill fitting or badly balanced gun.

If your are interested I have a Beretta 687 going for the top end of your budget 28" multi but not 3" chambers, I am selling for a friend.

I have a Lanber as my only gun, I bought it new 12+ years ago and has not missed a beat, shot clays every other weekend for a couple of years until my local shoot closed, now use it for Pigeons and and vermin and clays occasionally, I can not seem me getting rid of it (can't afford the 687 :unsure: )

Edited by Red 9R

I would go for a gun that feels right rather than feels light, a heavyer gun that fits well and is balanced will feel lighter than a lighter ill fitting or badly balanced gun.

If your are interested I have a Beretta 687 going for the top end of your budget 28" multi but not 3" chambers, I am selling for a friend.

I have a Lanber as my only gun, I bought it new 12+ years ago and has not missed a beat, shot clays every other weekend for a couple of years until my local shoot closed, now use it for Pigeons and and vermin and clays occasionally, I can not seem me getting rid of it (can't afford the 687 :unsure: )

Thanks, but like I said, im not in the market just yet.

why can't you afford the 687? If you already own it, surely you just have cartridge costs and the occasional scrub up to pay for, so no different to your lanber? :unsure:

Sorry was not very clear there,

Unfortunately I don't own it, I am selling it for a friend (he is the guy that got me into shooting) he is retired and not in the best of heath so not getting out as much as he would like, I guess he is realizing some of his assets, if he wants to go out for a day I have said I will take him and he can use my gun.

If you were interested I would pass his number on to you by pm and tell him to expect a call:)

Edited by Red 9R

Get some lessons using different guns, preferably of the type you are interested in. If you are set on your budget then as previousley said, a good browning or berretta, which ever fits best (they are quite different so it's highly likely that one will fit and one won't). Browning or berettas hold their money well so as long as you buy well, should you decide to sell it you shouldn't really lose anything.

What about considering a baikal?

For my money they are better than most "budget" guns and a good second hand one could be had for £200ish.

The quality of the metalurgy applied in Baikal production is arguably better than berrettas which have corrosion issues where the rib an barrels meet.