We could of shot alot more

Shotgunspud

Just before Christmas! Me and 3 other members of my family spent 3 days chasing geese around some of my ponds In Wales, there are a large number of Canada’s within the area, I had a lot of calls from local farmers saying shoot them please!! Which of course I am happy to help with.

Now I live in Kent and it’s a long trip 3-4 hours to Wales so going all that way for one goose is a bit much!! but on what the farmers were saying there were more than normal in the area, I had a ring around friends and local keepers I know asking would they like a goose for Christmas and found homes for 30 geese, so trailer was needed armed with decoys, callers, dogs, car full of shells were off!

Arrived at about 2pm got sorted and down to one of my ponds for 3pm,

First night,

Found the geese shooting them coming into a splash, we shot 9, there were a hell of a lot of ducks about but left the ducks no need for them! We were there for geese.

Second day/night

Set the decoys up in a grass field on one of the farms that called me and they came in like there was no tomorrow we shot 29 in an hour and pulled out of the field, we could of shot a hundred if we wanted to but job done farmer happy and plenty left for next trip. Night was spent in the pub.

Last day,

We were going to have a walked up day around my dads land, but when we were in the pub another farmer I shoot for was in and ask me if we would shoot one of his fields as he has a problem as well,

Knowing we had all the geese we needed! I was not decoying them this time as they poured in to us the day before, so a quick flight is was, as the farmer asks me to leave him six! For the pot it wasn’t too bad! we stood out in the open drinking coffee and joking and still shot 9 and 11 crows keeping them of the field, we could of again shot I would say well over a hundred Geese.

I know some of you may say that’s to many but if you saw the damage they were doing you would think again , also I am the only person that shoots the geese in that area, also some of you have probably said!! I bet they ditched them but I can erasure you every single goose that is shot on my ponds and farms I cover gets eaten! Even the old ones go to the stew pots, 47 geese 11 crows 3days 4 guns 4 dogs grate trip.

post-10973-1264506418.jpg

Are canada geese classed as wildfowl and therefore require the shooter to use steel shot or can you nail em with a lead shot?:lol:

Sorry if its a thicko question but I have been asked to sort some out and wanted to make sure I was clear on the requirements of the general licence.

cheers Folks

410PHIL :good: :good: :good::yes:

Hi

Got a few canadas there for your trouble......where abouts in Wales did you go as I shoot the foreshore at Lydney and there are a few Duck ponds around there which seem to be having agood bashing over the xmas period by the sound of things anyway

Cheers

North Wales, my dad own's most of the land and we rent it out for grazing. There are alot of duck in the area most coming off the river 7, the cold snap would of made the ducks hit the ponds! so yes lot shoot to be had as long as they didnt go over the top.

The Duck ponds sounded like a war zone around xmas around the Lydney area, it must of been non stop for a couple of hours but they did not fly around the foreshore just kept to the fields behind us, and i was hoping for a shot at them.

I seen a good few greylags yesterday but only 1 Canada, Do you know how long they stay around that North Wales area before moving on etc

Cheers

Are canada geese classed as wildfowl and therefore require the shooter to use steel shot or can you nail em with a lead shot?:lol:

Sorry if its a thicko question but I have been asked to sort some out and wanted to make sure I was clear on the requirements of the general licence.

cheers Folks

410PHIL :good: :good: :good::yes:

yes i alway class them as wildfowl and think they must have a rest from shooters, If you are shooting them over wet land you most use steelI know that, but park land you can still use lead?? Not 100% on that you had better ask BASC, but I am always on the safe side and use steel, bit more pricey but RC number 3-4 are bang on!!

Edited by Shotgunspud

The Duck ponds sounded like a war zone around xmas around the Lydney area, it must of been non stop for a couple of hours but they did not fly around the foreshore just kept to the fields behind us, and i was hoping for a shot at them.

I seen a good few greylags yesterday but only 1 Canada, Do you know how long they stay around that North Wales area before moving on etc

Cheers

A lot call it home all year round, but the numbers just seem to get bigger they dont seem to drop off, graylags and white front are starting to show now, i am off again next week for 5 days.

:good: sounds awsome shooting well done hopefully one day i will get a crack at a goose just learning pigeon decoying at the moment :oops: Lousy weather and work have been holding me up lately hoping to get out shortley well done any way i bet theirs a big thud when you hit one of them things :oops:

Actually mate, in your post no9, that is`nt what you said at all, wrong way round or not.

It`s good to see that you have the self discipline to know when to stop shooting, something sadly lacking in some others, but you really need to brush up on the non toxic shot regulations.

Sorry to be so blunt but it had to be said.

Actually mate, in your post no9, that is`nt what you said at all, wrong way round or not.

It`s good to see that you have the self discipline to know when to stop shooting, something sadly lacking in some others, but you really need to brush up on the non toxic shot regulations.

Sorry to be so blunt but it had to be said.

Don’t know what you reading but, when asked I did say must use steel over wet land unless you no different and I was not 100% on park land and said to ask BASC… but again I did say I ALWAYS USE STEEL ON DUCKS AND GEESE do I not??

Brush up on regulations if you always use steel you are well within them are you not?:yes:??