410 Uses

gurus5000

I love .410's and have 3 now.

I must say the O/U Yildiz is my favorite. I have found that with the 3inch magnum cartridges, the ranges are pretty much as with a 12. I have killed pigeons up to 45 yards with it (paced out)

As for game, Ive shot Pigeons, crows and pheasants, squirrels, rabbits etc. with mine. You just have to be more accurate with your shot. It can be frustrating missing birds that you feel you would of got with a 12. But there really fun to shoot, and really impressive when you make a long shot with and really light to carry about.

The only problem is the cartridge prices and selection, i find the Eley magnum 18 gram ones good, avaliable in 5,6,7 shot.

got my first 410 2 weeks ago after using 12 bores for a year or so and its great fun to shoot nice and light. i use it for shooting rats and crows as i keep ducks and chickens. shot big crows out to about 30 yards no probs. 2 inch 9 gram eley 6's are the biz for rats. will definately be getting a moderated 410 soon!

I love .410's and have 3 now.

I must say the O/U Yildiz is my favorite.

The only problem is the cartridge prices and selection, i find the Eley magnum 18 gram ones good, avaliable in 5,6,7 shot.

Im jealous. Ive been eyeing up a 410 o/u yildiz for a long time, but they are just out of my price range.

Ive a 410 mossberg hushpower and find its an excellent gun. It was funny going from shooting 12 bores for years to using a .410. Litterally no recoil in comparison. I use mine for rabbits, vermin and small game like that. Ive even taken it on the clay range for some fun. I find you do have to be a LOT more accurate than with a 12 bore.

As henry c says, the only downer really is the cartridge prices, they are miles more expensive than 12 bore cartridges.

Guest cookoff013

lovely guns. really underated calibre imho. i had a go with a 410 and a 28g. you wouldnt believe how good they are. i`d use one, but i cant justify the space in the already full cabinet.

i was only using a 2.5" and i still was doing the business on clays. the recoil is slightly sharper, but not as `oompfy`.

how ballistics work, a number 6 shot has the same performance (in energy retention) whether its been shot from a .410 or a 12bore. just the patterns are smaller.

if you reload for a .410. you will make a killing !

What models would people recommend?

Cheers

Depends what you are looking for really... sbs, o/u, pump, etc...? There are all sorts out there. Investarm and falco do some cheap o/u`s but personally I dont like look of them. Mossberg do a good pump. I havent really looked at new sbs`s recently, but there are no end of old spanish sbs .410`s out there if you wanted something cheap.

One thing to note with .410`s is some manufactorers do a "junior" model aimed at youngsters. So, if your buying one, make sure it fits nicely.

Whilst on the subject, has anyone got one of the "rugby gun shop"`s o/u .410`s. I had a look at one the other week and appart from being their "own brand", it looked and felt really nice.

Mmmm cookoff I'm not sure " whether its been shot from a .410 or a 12bore. just the patterns are smaller." I'm pretty certain that the spread is the same choke for choke it doesn't seen possible but I have read the balistics and shot spread is the same just less shot in the pattern . More shot in a 12g gives a longer denser shot string with more fliers but the choke of a .410 produces the same effect as a 12. I don't know why but it is true I have read.

I've got a hushpower .410 and its brilliant. My 8 year old uses a webly and scott bolt action .410 there fantastic.

I wouldn't push the range on a .410 but I've shot crows, pigeons, rabbits with the hushpower no problem. I do use 3" magnums that are a bit louder in the hushpower but they stop what they hit.

i can only speak for what i've personally used so-

single barrel i had a baikal with a wood stock couldn't fault it cost £95 new at the time and was great but they do a synthetic one now for £167 at my local but he's a bit steep so you could probably get one for about £140 new

hushpower i own a baikal stealth and think its fantastic build on the same action as the singles just with a mod on it you can get then for £315 and upwards my local sells them for £379 the robbing ***!, mine's synthetic and i'll never get rid of it now i love it, i do like the look of the pedretti one though as they don't have the fore end the whole barrel is moderated so they'll be shorter and probably quieter but not sure on price

o/u i've not owened/used one but have had a good look at a yildiz o/u m/c and fell in love with it can't remember how much it was i think it was either £499 or £599 though so i'll not be getting one for a long time yet but they are nice, and i've used an investarms it was more in my price range but no where near as nice as the yildiz

Im jealous. Ive been eyeing up a 410 o/u yildiz for a long time, but they are just out of my price range.

They are a really nice gun mate, multi-choke, walnut stock ect!

I paid £499 for my non-ejector version. if your gonna shoot clays with it would probably be worth the extra money for the ejector version.

They are a really nice gun mate, multi-choke, walnut stock ect!

I paid £499 for my non-ejector version. if your gonna shoot clays with it would probably be worth the extra money for the ejector version.

i only shoot vermin mate so ejectors just mean looking round for empty's, still out my price range though i was made redundant nearly a year ago now so money is tight, but when i'm back in work i'll save for one i think, they are special! :rolleyes:

always had 410`s ..a 3" mag can do anything a 12g can, i shoot game and clays with it and do so with style.

nothing humbles men like getting beat by a 410 shooter <tho mine has a 20g barrel ontop too>

a good tool that is light n pointable and u can carry a full days ammo in 1 pocket plus its not that loud...if any1 hasnt got 1 go and get 1 now!

investarm 410/20 combi ftw!!!

Guest cookoff013
Mmmm cookoff I'm not sure " whether its been shot from a .410 or a 12bore. just the patterns are smaller." I'm pretty certain that the spread is the same choke for choke it doesn't seen possible but I have read the balistics and shot spread is the same just less shot in the pattern . More shot in a 12g gives a longer denser shot string with more fliers but the choke of a .410 produces the same effect as a 12. I don't know why but it is true I have read.

but the chokes dont have the same 000`s of restrictions. .410 is way different. take a single #6 pellet, leaves the barrel at 1400fps. regaurdless of calibre the both travel ar the same speed and have the same energy drop off.

the only thing is 12bore can handle biger shot charges, therefore bigger / more dense patterns.

theoreticly if i shot a .410 well it would be as good as a 12.

(but i cant !)

but the chokes dont have the same 000`s of restrictions. .410 is way different. take a single #6 pellet, leaves the barrel at 1400fps. regaurdless of calibre the both travel ar the same speed and have the same energy drop off.

the only thing is 12bore can handle biger shot charges, therefore bigger / more dense patterns.

theoreticly if i shot a .410 well it would be as good as a 12.

(but i cant !)

Not sure we are disagreeing I don't think Im expressing myself very well and we are trying to say the same thing

"No. 5

Does The 12 Gauge Shoot A Bigger Pattern?

How much larger in diameter is the pattern thrown by a 12-gauge gun than a 20-gauge gun with the same choke?

Everything including the degree of choke constriction being the same, gauge has nothing to do with pattern size. At any given distance patterns from the 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and .410 will measure approximately the same diameter so long as they are choked the same. The only exception is when extremely soft shot is used. Smaller bores sometimes throw slightly larger patterns with extremely soft shot due to a higher level of pellet deformation during firing, but the difference is seldom great enough to make a difference in the field."

This is what I meant!!! Although every gun cartridge/combination varies + or - 10% or so, I have read.

her is where the quote came from

http://hunting.about.com/od/shotgun/l/aastshotgunfaqa.htm