mossberg 500 magazine tube

Ozzy Fudd

my friend rang me earlier, he has a mossberg 500 slugster model but reckons he needs a new magazine tube for it. ive checked midway but they only have the 5 shell versions, he needs a 2 shell version (permamently restricted obv).

does anyone know of anywhere you can get one? or will it be a case of buying a 5 shell one and restricting it to two? and if he does have to buy a 5 shell tube, whats the best way to permamently restrict it himself?

Edited by babbyc1000

What exactly is the requirement for the restriction?

I'll tell you a little story and you'll see why I'm concerned;

My franchi s/a has a tube magazine but the thing that goes on the end of the spring to push the cartridges got jammed one day so I decided to unscrew the tube to sort it out - and damaged it :yes: it had a crimped section to stop you putting more than two in it and also a plastic "stick" from the muzzle end of the tube which also stops you putting more than two in (this is held in with a circlip).

Well, after a lot of searching I ended up getting a local engineering firm to make me a replacement (which wasn't easy because they're pretty thin) but the new one hasn't got a crimped section - the "stick" stops me putting more than two up it but it can be removed which makes it a 6-shot! which would be great for decoying and to be honest I'm in half a mind to explain to the f.l.o. and have it put on my f.a.c. Or, is the stick enough to keep me legal for now?

how easy it would be to crimp a tube yourself?

not sure what the mossberg crimp is like, but the one on my supernova looks like it would need some engineering tools.

but it does look like it could be done to a fac tube.

might be easier to get a plug welded into the tube.

Get a pipe cutter and swap the blade for a small washer or something, use it like a pipe cutter but careful not to cut the tube. With care, it'll make a nice tidy crimp the thickness of the washer (doesn't need to be very deep to stop the thing on the end of the spring, which'll stop cart's) only reason I've not done it is, as I said, I'm in half a mind to have it put on my f.a.c.

Or, maybe something like the stick on mine but welded into the tube?

My magazine wasn't proofed in any was as standard but was crimped as in method IV, so my suggestion using a modified pipe cutter would work and return the gun to it's original, legal state - if I decide not to put it on my f.a.c. (to be honest, I might sort it and sell it as I'm in half a mind to get a nice over&under).

A cylindrical "lump" with a rod sticking out of it pointing at the reciever the right length would be my next suggestion but you'd need to fix it in place permanantly (I'd suggest drilling a couple of holes in the tube and welding in the holes when the cylinder is in place; a "plug weld" as the easiest method).

Will they sell you a 5shot mag without an f.a.c?

Get a pipe cutter and swap the blade for a small washer or something, use it like a pipe cutter but careful not to cut the tube. With care, it'll make a nice tidy crimp the thickness of the washer (doesn't need to be very deep to stop the thing on the end of the spring, which'll stop cart's) only reason I've not done it is, as I said, I'm in half a mind to have it put on my f.a.c.

Or, maybe something like the stick on mine but welded into the tube?

good idea, and thanks for the links guys :blink:

im not sure why it would need to be reproofed though; surely as the gun is already restricted it wouldnt matter how the new mag was restricted, as long as it was done permamently; i can see how you would have to get a previously unrestricted gun proofed, same way youd have to get a gun deactivated professionally, to prove its no longer in its original state, but as the slugster started out restricted...

or maybe im totally wrong, hangovers dont help brainpower :good:

What exactly is the requirement for the restriction?

I'll tell you a little story and you'll see why I'm concerned;

My franchi s/a has a tube magazine but the thing that goes on the end of the spring to push the cartridges got jammed one day so I decided to unscrew the tube to sort it out - and damaged it :angry: it had a crimped section to stop you putting more than two in it and also a plastic "stick" from the muzzle end of the tube which also stops you putting more than two in (this is held in with a circlip).

Well, after a lot of searching I ended up getting a local engineering firm to make me a replacement (which wasn't easy because they're pretty thin) but the new one hasn't got a crimped section - the "stick" stops me putting more than two up it but it can be removed which makes it a 6-shot! which would be great for decoying and to be honest I'm in half a mind to explain to the f.l.o. and have it put on my f.a.c. Or, is the stick enough to keep me legal for now?

You might want to get that sorted mate. Could get you into trouble :bye2: