Training GSP for Gun Work

sinex

Some background, Had an 18 year break from dogs, no hunting or shooting back ground, Just started training my 12 week old GSP on the whistle, he's pretty good, so a proud farther might say, 3 blows come back, 1 to sit or hup hup as have been told, 2 to go, any advise here appreciated, my real question is, I want to do is introduce him to the sound of guns, where might I take him in the Northants area?

Be carefull of doing too much too early, your pup is very young to be training to the whistle and introducing to

shot at 12 weeks old (In my opinion).

Stick to the very basics of whistle training if you must (Recall and stop) but I would advise leaving

the introduction to shot until much later. I have seen more than enough gundogs ruined due to

introducing to shot too early and too quickly.

I have trained a few GSP's and am based in Northants so happy to offer help as-and-when you

do decide to go ahead.

PM me if you would like to chat further.

Edited by Browning

I wouldn't take him near a clay ground for a long time, pointers are generally more sensitive than most so do take some effort to get it right. Mine started coming out in the truck lamping from about 4 months so heard plenty of rifle shooting from inside. First tried her near shotguns at 8 months and thought I'd blown it as she wasn't keen at all. However left it and got her beating at 18 months and with the excitement and scent ignored the shooting entirely and has gone on from there. Now is by the door when the cabinet opens and is spot on when round guns.

• 3 weeks later...
Be carefull of doing too much too early, your pup is very young to be training to the whistle and introducing to

shot at 12 weeks old (In my opinion).

I would disagree with the above :good: IMO they learn so much without realising at that young age. I would use the whistle every time you use a voice and/or hand signal so the puppy gets used to all the different commands.

I do use a starting pistol sometimes when we're all just running out in the field but that is a very different sound to a shot gun. Mine have been around 3/4 months old at the start of the shooting season so the pup just comes with me when I'm picking up (on a lead obviously) and just hears the bangs without having any problems. Once you get some months older maybe it's worse - just like people find it harder to get their dogs to swim when they leave it until they are older.

I would disagree with the above :good: IMO they learn so much without realising at that young age. I would use the whistle every time you use a voice and/or hand signal so the puppy gets used to all the different commands.

I do use a starting pistol sometimes when we're all just running out in the field but that is a very different sound to a shot gun. Mine have been around 3/4 months old at the start of the shooting season so the pup just comes with me when I'm picking up (on a lead obviously) and just hears the bangs without having any problems. Once you get some months older maybe it's worse - just like people find it harder to get their dogs to swim when they leave it until they are older.

Obviousely your methods work for you then...however, I will stand by what I said and will stick to my methods, which have proven to work for many dogs over many many years.

i have heard party poppers can work initially. thinking of getting someone else to pull the popper in the another room just before giving the dog dinner. of course need to get the dog first but should only be a few weeks if everything goes according to plan.