FT/LB

Guest Callum.

Guest Callum.

Well it was on a website called Antics Online and i don't know anything else it doesn't say!

Its only a cheap gun and i don't want to buy a weak thing that won't kill quarry and leave it with a wound!

Just under 800fps is legal limit for a .177 8.4gr pellet like air arms field/jsb etc.

just under 600fps is legal for a 16gr .22 IIRC

Sub 600fps .177 is near pistol energy and only suitable for close range rats, there are plenty of springers you can buy for sub £100 second hand that will be powerful enough to kill-its better than buying a brand new piece of poo.

i think 900fps is more like 15 ft/lb usually unless its a really light pellet.

But yeah it sounds like a weak gun for a .177 ive got a basically new weihrauch 77k putting out close to legal limit if youre interested give us a shout. ive just brought a hw97kt so the 77k is redundent although it is basically brand new itself. cheers tom

Edited by farmboy99

I have found a quick way of doing the calc using a spread sheet.

=((pellet weight in grains/(7000*32.174))*muzzle velocity^2)/2

answer is in Ft/Lbs.

Put that into a spreadsheet and you have a good guide. I would have posted the small excel file, but it refuses to work for me. Email or PM me and I will send it if needed.

To calculate the Ft/lb of an air rifle you do the following calculation.

ft/lb = Velocity of pellet (feet per second) x Velocity of pellet (feet per second) x Weight Of Pellet (Grains) / 450240

eg, 712ft per second x 712ft per second x 10.6 grain pellet weight, divided by 450240 = 11.93ft/lb

Simple !!!

well, a legal 177 air rifle will chuck an average pellet out at about 900ish ft per second, thats about 11ft/lb. 570 ft/sec is slower than a 22.

hope this helps.

I think the maths has gone a little wrong there, an Average .177 at 900 ft sec will be well over 12ft lb, not, about 11ft lb, to be honest you would have to find a VERY light one to be legal at that speed!

;)