Shotgun "plinking"

sandspider

Come on chaps, lighten up a bit. As long as a safe area is used and noise isn't a problem what's the issue? I've shot all sorts of stuff with most of my guns. Although they are tools for a serious job they are also toys for us to have fun with and as long as that fun is also safe what's the problem?

Even a FAC states "for zeroing". It doesn't say at what. I love to shoot at apples. They're a great target that explodes when hit, are free, biodegradable and the size of the kill zone on our quarry. If you stand and shoot at windfalls in a large orchard they're also at unknown ranges so you can push your bigger calibres out to silly distances to see what the drop/wind is doing.

A shotgun doesn't have conditions of use, you can shoot what you want with it as long as it's safe and not an illegal quarry!

Exactly, can't stand when people come and try to make it sound like you are being reckless just because they don't trust themselves with their hardware to do the same.

Mike G. what do you zero your scope, or pattern your shotgun on, or do you just go out in to the wild and just shoot and hope your scope is zeroed or cartridge does its job adequatly?

Edited by Shuck.

Id like a place to do it but id never try on one of my farm permissions.. I asked BabbyC the other day about his permission as he always seems to be shooting car doors/remote control vehicles and other items :rolleyes:

lucky ******* :lol:

:lol:

most of it belongs to my family or close friends, at richies dads farm yard theres an old pug 106 that richie rolled not long after he passed his test, if youve ever any doubt of the capabilities of .22lr hv rounds then rest assured at 50 yards they were punching through one side of the car, travelling through the seats and puting large dents in the outer skin of the far door. thats a very sobering thought isnt it :hmm:

as long as its all done in a safe, legal and controlled environment then theres nothing wrong with it imo, some people on here need to realise that just because they enjoy different aspects of shooting than someone else it doesnt make it wrong.

and anyway, apart from all that, its fun :good:

Hi Sandspider .

I think what you need is a mentor , someone who can show you the ropes . I was a member of a practical shotgun club we shot just about anything we could lay our hands on , as the police used our range , riot shields police car doors and riot helmets all got a test fire the same as the police had been doing with them ,

5 litres of budweiser vigourously shaken and shot at 15 yds is a good target , I doudt if many members havent shot the odd can or two .

Main thing is to get to know the capabilities of your gun and be safe with it , one of the first things we did with new members was to take the on a range and show them the effects of a shotgun on various items , it kind of puts things into perspective .

Perhaps if you ask nicely someone here will help you out ,we al started as newbies once , if you was in my area I would have been glad to help .

Have fun and be safe . learn your craft .

Dave

Eh? 5 litres of beer shaken and blasted :rolleyes::hmm::lol:

5 litres of budweiser vigourously shaken and shot at 15 yds is a good target , I doudt if many members havent shot the odd can or two .

bout the only good use for that stuff :good::yes:

its one of our traditions that we shoot a can of beer with the first shot out of a new gun, sort of a good luck thing :lol:

What about the wheelbarrows?:angry:

I mean we had an active following of wheelbarrow bashers on here for a while did'nt we?

I would'nt bother finding out what a shotgun does to an apple, most people on here will tell you (whether they have done it or not) that it will be pretty messed up.

That goes without saying most things that you shoot with a shotgun at any range less than 20 yards is pretty well knackered.

May I suggest COD4 as a more sensible alternative to satisfy your lust for wanton destruction?:good:?

I am waiting with baited breath for the start of the wheelbarrow shooting season. I saw a really old one just the other day and thought I really must get some no.4's for that one.

The dishwasher and bus shelter season will soon be here as well.

I am waiting with baited breath for the start of the wheelbarrow shooting season. I saw a really old one just the other day and thought I really must get some no.4's for that one.

Only No 4's for a barrow??

Must be wooden barrow boy grocer type and not of armoured steel construction?:angry: Need 3 1/2" at least for them.

4's?! :yes:

thats inhumane, nothing smaller than a 36g 0 for a wheelbarrow! :good: and dishwasher season runs september to december, bus shelters are protected (due to them usually belonging to someone, like the bus company, oh and being in a public place doesnt help :angry:) so they dont get shot :lol:??? ???

4's?! :yes:

thats inhumane, nothing smaller than a 36g 0 for a wheelbarrow! :good: and dishwasher season runs september to december, bus shelters are protected (due to them usually belonging to someone, like the bus company, oh and being in a public place doesnt help :angry:) so they dont get shot :lol:??? ???

That is only in Northern Ireland.

66grams of 4's in a 3 1/2" case will sort them out. I am a AA class wheelbarrow shot don't you know?