Rings

ollie

Hi guys, I have recently been thinking about putting a rubber ring on the pheasant poults legs before we release them every year so that we can distinguise how many birds from that current year have been shot. The idea would be to use a different coloured ring each year and it would also give me an idea of how many birds are being reared wild over the close season. I am just wandering if any of you guys have ever tried anything like this and also where would I be able to purchase the rings?

We did the same thing with wing tags twenty years ago ! It was so depressing that we never did it again !! lol

As it happens ,the last wing tag was recovered on year seven!

A few other keepers I know have tried it and with the same results and they have all stopped now .

If you are going to do it , then its easier with a wing tag and applicator than putting leg rings on .

Let us know how you get on ??

We did the same thing with wing tags twenty years ago ! It was so depressing that we never did it again !! lol

As it happens ,the last wing tag was recovered on year seven!

A few other keepers I know have tried it and with the same results and they have all stopped now .

If you are going to do it , then its easier with a wing tag and applicator than putting leg rings on .

Let us know how you get on ??

To be honest we usually have a good return of pheasants each year but I would be really interested to see what age the birds are that are being shot. We only release 70ish birds so puts rings on their legs wouldn't be too difficult. Markm have you any idea where I could get the plastic rings? Nipper where did you get the wing tags?

Hi guys, I have recently been thinking about putting a rubber ring on the pheasant poults legs before we release them every year so that we can distinguise how many birds from that current year have been shot. The idea would be to use a different coloured ring each year and it would also give me an idea of how many birds are being reared wild over the close season. I am just wandering if any of you guys have ever tried anything like this and also where would I be able to purchase the rings?

My son put cable ties on 9000 last season to see where they wandered to and from. Different colour for each release pen.

Cheapest way of doing it.

Andy

Do you live near a pigeon flying club.

Ask one of the members if they can let you know

They do this every week with rubber rings.

Before they send the pigeon to the races

They have little tool that stretches the rubber then you just put the leg in and then release it over there leg.

I used to help my dad do it, We could probably do a couple hundred pigeons in a couple of hours.

My son put cable ties on 9000 last season to see where they wandered to and from. Different colour for each release pen.

Cheapest way of doing it.

Andy

I would be scared of putting the cable tie on and the leg out growing it. Is there any possibility of this? Good idea though.

Do you live near a pigeon flying club.

Ask one of the members if they can let you know

They do this every week with rubber rings.

Before they send the pigeon to the races

They have little tool that stretches the rubber then you just put the leg in and then release it over there leg.

I used to help my dad do it, We could probably do a couple hundred pigeons in a couple of hours.

My best mate's father is in a pigeon club, however, would the rings not be too small for a pheasant leg?

I would be scared of putting the cable tie on and the leg out growing it. Is there any possibility of this? Good idea though.

My best mate's father is in a pigeon club, however, would the rings not be too small for a pheasant leg?

They are not rings as such, they are like rubber bands.

They might be able to be purchased in different sizes.

The tool will be the same, Also there are plastic ones that can be clipped on also these are not expensive.

only had a quick look but you may find some of these cheaper if you look on the net http://www.everythingforpets.com/deluxe_nu....7491.dept.165/

We tested them on the biggest cock bird we had, made the tie a loose fit on it and made this the minimum size for all the poults, which were ringed as they were debitted and sent to the release pens.

Andy

We tested them on the biggest cock bird we had, made the tie a loose fit on it and made this the minimum size for all the poults, which were ringed as they were debitted and sent to the release pens.

Andy

Dont do it mate, it will be pain all the way watching your neighbours weigh your birds in.

Very few of our birds ever stray as we have most of the shooting rights in the surrounding area.

Andy

I was thinking I could test the size on a stuffed pheasant I have in the house. I would also put them on the legs when we were debitting.