freelander boffins wanted

deejay

I have recently purchased a 2002 freelander ,and as I got stuck going uphill in the snow last week ,which I thought it was a bit odd.

So I checked to see if the four wheel drive viscous thing was doing its job and looked out of the window ,only to find the back wheels were the only ones turning and the front ones stationary .

Now anybody with any knowledge of this before I take it back to garage ,would be great ,just so I dont look a complete fool .

Thanks Daz.

A woman in our office bought a Freelander as her Boxster is no good in snow. Trouble is she doesn't have a clue about four wheel drive. She told us that she activated the 4X4 function by pressing a button with a snowflake on it. Then she pressed the button with three little arrows in a circle because it was the traction control.

I reckon she activated the air-con :hmm:

Thanks for the link pretty usefull info on there and has been of help ,so it looks to me like its doing what it is supposed too.

I have to go and pick the caravan up from storage on thursday (just a fenced off field ) so this could be the proof in the pudding.

Thanks

Im guessing the OP put the car up on a jack/axel stands to check the 4wd was working. If so its possible that the offside front wheel was rotating but the drivers side wasn't (the front and rear wheel with the least resistance would be going around)

:hmm: I just bought a 3 door freelander, and havent read the manual yet....whats the yellow switch on the gear lever all about?

Hill descent?

The freebies front wheels are the only ones turning usually, if it finds its front wheels spinning it transfers drive to the rear making it a 4 x 4. Id say you might have a problem as when l use mine when in mud etc. the front ones always turn slipping or not. One thing to try is to get it on a straight road and loosen your grip on the wheel, if its pulling one side dramatically then you may have a broken shaft/transfer box could be up the spout.

Let us know how you get on - it could be that you looked out the window just at the point when it was transfering to the rear and was trying to get some grip by crossing over the power - It also has been know for people to make them rear wheel drive or front wheel drive only!

Tom

i hear this is a common problem just check to make sure that the front drive shaft is in place in the oldest ones it is a common fault there is a counter weight on the shaft held on buy a rubber anti friction bush that wears and the weight just spins on the drive shaft and an expensive repair so they remove the front drive **** making it rear wheel drive

That has nothing to do with the transmission, monocoque refers to the chassis design and now used on the vast majority of cars on the road, 4x4 or not.

I think you'll find the vast majority of proper 4x4's are built on a seperate chasis still. Then again the Freelander is not a proper 4x4! Apparently with a monocoque you can get torsional twisitng of the body of the car.

all sounds like the usual freelander rubbish this :lol: only kiddin, although i am a defender owner myself :good:

the common misconception with four wheel drive is that people tend to believe the wheels cant slip, this is not the case as you found out. split it down in terms of axles. on the front axle if one wheel loses traction, the power from the other wheel will be sent the the slipping wheel by the differential. same happens on the rear axle. if there is no middle differential between front and rear axles in the tranfer box, then power from all 3 wheels can essentially be thrown to the one slipping wheel..NOW you have the viscous couple which is like an automatic lockable centre differential (locks the front and rear axle together)..but there is still an open diff on the front and rear axle, and now only one wheel can spin on each axle seperatly, BUT if you get cross axled (lose traction on one wheel on each axle)..your still ******** and you wont budge..which essentialy is what happened to your poor freelander :yes:

What about discoverys? Talking of Discos do they have automatic diff lock? Does it even exist? Was on a shoot in January where an idiot drove his disco into a bog. Only the back wheels were spinning. I told him to put it in 4wd and he said it was permenant. I told him to lock the diffs and he said it was automatic on a disco (52 reg). Is this right or was he talking ****? In the end it needed a ford Explorer with big chunky tyres to get him out!

Discos are permanent 4WD, but they vary as to whether they have difflock or not.

Some of the DiscoII have a difflock lever in the cab, others don't but the transfer box still has the internals and spigot so you can get aftermarket devices that link to a lever or even a solenoid to give that back. Others don't even have the spigot etc so you simply cannot lock the centre diff.

Edited by john_r

freelanders will automatically put drive to the wheels that aren't slipping. even if 3 wheels have no grip it will still put drive to one wheel. this is done by the viscous couplings and some clever electronics.

the hill descent button uses the abs system to automatically brake individual wheels to maintain a set speed down a hill. you have to be brave the first time you use it and trust it as it only works when it is engaged and your foot is off the brake.

these are very capable off road vehicles unfortunatley let down by reliability problems.

Discos are permanent 4WD, but they vary as to whether they have difflock or not.

Some of the DiscoII have a difflock lever in the cab, others don't but the transfer box still has the internals and spigot so you can get aftermarket devices that link to a lever or even a solenoid to give that back. Others don't even have the spigot etc so you simply cannot lock the centre diff.

earlier discos are vary capable, they are pretty much defender chassis and drivetrain, the only difference is the body..the bloke who got stuck in the bog 52reg would have had diff lock to lock the centre but unless youve got muds on and sum momentum your gonna get stuck anyway :good:

freelanders will automatically put drive to the wheels that aren't slipping. even if 3 wheels have no grip it will still put drive to one wheel. this is done by the viscous couplings and some clever electronics.

if thats the case freelanders would be the best 4x4 ever and everyone that goes to pay n play sites n comps would be using em...

....and thats impossible to achieve, as, if 3 wheels have no grip (ie are slipping) then that 4th wheel would be completely stationary with no drive at all being sent to it :)

I have spoke to a mechanic at ,les potts in sunderland and he thinks too that it could be the shaft or transfer box .Also I have only just noticed a knocking coming from the front nearside wheel ,could this be the shaft ,it only happend when I jacked the frot end up to see if the wheels were turning .The front ns wheel was trying to turn but thats when I noticed the knocking .

Thanks for all the replies and the help .

Daz