Application for .22 rimfire

jim38curl

Hi All,

I'm in the process of applying for a FAC but have got stuck on the ammo section of the application.

I know there's lots of people on this forum that have talked abut this but some of the answers are different so i've ended up completely clueless

The app. mentions expanding ammo, do i have to apply for x amount of normal ammo and x amount of expanding.

What qty do i apply for of each. My brother in law has 300 kept and 200 purchased but i read on here that you should buy 1000 and keep 1500 ( sure i read it some where ) beacuse of the differences in batches.

What are the conditions ? Is that just where they ask what you are using it for.. i put down pest control and zeroing. Is that all i need to say as i just want it for rabbits and the occasional fox.

Also, the farmer signed my form to say i could use it on his land but there are at least 2 others that i know of that have also got permission for the same land, will the police have a problem with that ?

And lastly... how much is the licence ?

Thanks for any help / advice. ( brother in law told me most of this already but i've forgotten what he said and he's not in so thought i'd try you guys )

Jim. :lol:

jim 38curl,when i put in for mine 14 years i just put down pest control,and to buy 500 .22 and keep 800 thats all you need to put.or more if you want, it does not matter that others use a rifle on the land dont say to shoot foxs because you need a .243 to kill a fox i think the licence £50

Edited by mossy835

jim 38curl,when i put in for mine 14 years i just put down pest control,and to buy 500 .22 and keep 800 thats all you need to put.or more if you want, it does not matter that others use a rifle on the land dont say to shoot foxs because you need a .243 to kill a fox

:lol: 243 is almost too much gun, not saying that bothers me, but dont under estimate the humble hornet, 222, 223 they are all fine killing machines

and rimfire is as well as long as its under 60 yards and a headshot

as far as im aware your local plod can only give you a rimfire for shooting vermin, foxes are vermin, so therefor whether he likes it or not you can.

dont know this for certain,

rimfires can kill, you just shouldnt set out to kill foxes with them, only shoot them if they come along whilst bunny bashing

Cheers for info on expanding ammo. Do you think i would be able to ask to amend to a .243 when they do the home visit or would i have to start with a .22 as a starter gun before i stand a a fair chance of having .243 granted. Would you say then that 1200/1000 is a reasonable qty to put down with little or no chance of refusal.

Jim

I just got mine this week:

.22LR buy 500 keep 600 with moderator

.17HMR buy 500 keep 600 with moderator

.243winchester Buy 80 keep 100 with moderator

The copper said because I was asking for hunting they automaticly put on expanding ammo.

and the cost of application is £50

Best thing to do is phone up your local guy and ask him because these things tend to be open to interpritation.

Dave

In general use RF and LR mean the same thing. RF means Rimfire which relates to the method of ignition in the cartridge. LR stands for long rifle which is the type of cartride that most people refer to as a .22, there is another .22 caliber rimfire cartridge called the WMR which stands for Winchester Magnum Rimfire. It is similar in looks to the LR but the case is about twice as long and slightly wider.

Actually it is more accurate to say 'Possess' and 'Acquire'. Your certificate will differentiate. You will need authority to possess a few more than you acquire unless you are not going to buy any ammo until you have 0 rounds left from the last purchase - and that is a bit of a ******.

I would recommend possessing 1200 RF and acquiring 1000. Dont forget that bigger discounts are available for RF ammo if you buy 500 rounds plus. Also - it is handy to have 2 types - subsonic and high velocity. So it is handy to be able to buy 500 rounds of each.

B

as far as im aware your local plod can only give you a rimfire for shooting vermin, foxes are vermin, so therefor whether he likes it or not you can.

Not so Nick. The conditions on your ticket will state what you can shoot.

My conditions state that the .22 rifle shall be used for vermin and zeroing as well as use on “Approved ranges”. It doesn’t include fox! It is therefore technically illegal to shoot foxes with it, although I can’t see anyone wanting to make a case over it.

The problem would only arise if you shot a fox and it didn’t drop. If this was witnessed by one of our friends in the “animal rights” camp, you could find yourself being prosecuted for failing to uphold your conditions. All theoretical I know, but perfectly possible, and avoidable by simply asking for the condition on your ticket to state “Vermin and the occasional fox”

My .17 hmr was originally put onto my FAC “For fox ONLY” :lol::lol: which p!$$ed me off no end because it was bought as a rabbiting rifle for those longer range rabbits. I had to send it back to have “Vermin” added otherwise it would have been technically illegal to shoot rabbits with it. :lol:

The same scenario exists for deer calibre rifles such as my.243. Some deer shooters have this calibre for “Deer” and “Fox whilst in the process of stalking deer”. Which sounds OK, until you fancy a night out lamping. At which point you are then committing an offence because it is illegal to shoot deer at night and you cannot therefore be shooting foxes whilst deer stalking.

All these scenarios can be avoided by asking your local firearms dept to put the conditions that YOU require on your FAC.

I therefore have the .243 for “Deer” AND for “Fox”

1000 rds .22lr; possess 1200 (including expanding). This will set you back @ £50 and will ensure that you have the consistency you want.

400 rds .17hmr; possess 500. Can’t afford much more than that.

200rds .243; possess 250 including “Missiles” if you want to reload expanding ammo’.

G.M.

.22 rifle shall be used for vermin and zeroing as well as use on “Approved ranges

I had to send it back to have “Vermin” added otherwise it would have been technically illegal to shoot rabbits with it. 

not trying to disagree with you, you have alot more years experiance in the area than me, however you just said (correct me if im wrong) that your 22 can only be used for "vermin and zeroing" and therefore cannot be used for fox, however you then said that your hmr came through as fox only, so you sent it back to be made vermin, and you can shoot foxes and rabbits with it?

from the way you describe it, it sounds like they are both the same conditions, yet your interpriting it as something different.

i think the firearms dept. have a large role in this, kent is still in the dark ages,

example, 6.5 will be licenced as a vermin round

22mag (22wmr) goes on your ticket as a 22 rimfire

and they put things like : "make unknown, .22rimfire weihrauch rifle", on your ticket.

and also vermin in kent means you can shoot foxes and bunnies or any vermin, where as my impression is that it dosent where you are?:lol:

in all the fac's from kent ive seen ive not seen a ticket with a condition for a individual spececies (other than deer) on it.

im genuinly confused now, you know gemini reading your posts only makes me more confused :lol: help! :lol::lol:

from the way you describe it, it sounds like they are both the same conditions, yet your interpriting it as something different.

Sorry didn’t explain it properly.

When I had a piece of land turned down for .243 I was told that I could use the .17hmr for foxes instead. This was then put onto my ticket as “For fox only” and the word vermin was left off.

I had to send my FAC back to have the condition-

The .17hmr rifle, sound moderator and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall only be used for fox control, vermin control and for zeroing on land over which the holder has permission etc…

Without the vermin wording on the condition it would be illegal to shoot rabbits crows etc, so for the sake of peace of mind it was easier to have this put on instead of just hoping for the best.

NOW! How about this for something to think about.

Prior to sending my ticket back for the conditions to be re-worded, I sold a .36 cal Black Powder pistol. I sent off my letter to the firearms dept at West Midlands advising them of the sale, and thought no more about it…..until a week later when I received a letter from them asking me to return my FAC so that I could have this pistol REMOVED from it. :lol:

I have NEVER had to have ANY firearm removed from my FAC in 35 years and it was only due to having to send my cert’ back that I decided to have the conditions sorted at the same time.

Has anyone else been told to return their FAC to have an item removed, or was this because it was a pistol, but even so…….WHY :lol::lol::lol:

G.M.

when I applied for my licence - I got told that the firearms copper would adjust the amount of ammo I could buy/hold anyway - but I played it safe so I can buy 500 at any one time and hold 750. he had no problems with it - so I wished I went for 1000 now :lol:

i have, buy 1000 hold 1200

altho as i use shared storage and my dad can have i think 7,500 and 2000 at anyone time, plod dosent know how much i have

also being under 17 means my dad has to give me the ammo on my ticket, so makes it cheap, and all i do is get a few hundred signed over every few months and use his ammo

no one is to know where who's ammo is, so its not a problem.