ideas how to tackle this field

daveydw

Any tips how to tackle this field it runs along side a country lane and has big flocks eating the rape everyday but cant get near them as i can only realy setup a hide at the top or bottom of the picture

the flight line seems to be sraight across the road into the field and they stay in the circle area feeding i dont seem to be able to get them down towards where my hide would be

i have tried to decribe it in the link below

Visit My Website

Edited by daveydw

how long and wide is the field, is there any cover between the road and the field?

you could also flag off the area you can;t shoot with white carrier bags tied to sticks

hi the field is about 200 yrds wide and probably about 300-400yrds top to bottom and the pigeons stay about in the centre

If its 50ft or more from the centre of that road to the edge of the field, you could put a hide up with your back to the road (I assume there is a hedge between the road and the field).

If not, then as nickbeardo suggests, flag off the area where the birds are gathering and I would set up at the bottom of the field, directly in line with where the arrow in your diagram is pointing.

Bales are the best bet if the hedge does not allow you the legal 50ft away from the centre of the road.

How busy is the lane I think it hard to drive birds from there prefered area even with bags .

They will more than likely move fields more than move to there not prefered area in said field.

Aslo which way the wind blows can dictate your actions you really need it coming over the lane so the birds go over you and turn back in.

Regards OTH

I'm pretty sure it's not actually a legal requirement to be more than 50 feet away from the road. I was surprised when i found out, but apparently that's the case. Therfore i'd set up somewhere in the top left hand corner of the field as it's pictured, and only take shots down the field.

here you go...

"In particular, care should be taken when siting Guns near roads. Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered."

only takes one busybody..

here you go...

"In particular, care should be taken when siting Guns near roads. Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered."

only takes one busybody..

Absolutely correct, it's an offence IF someone is injured, interrupted or endangered. But i would still be careful about where i set up, especially if near a fairly busy road.

i had this problem but with a feild next one i can get on and shoot the other one i couldnt shoot on for may reson like you have, i put long poles with big bags on which did the trick and moved pigeons on. but there are so many feilds of rape here it is a big problem with getting at the birds and keeping them moving.

you can back onto the road,interupted_ if they have to avoid you

injured,if they are shot or if for example you shoot a bird and it lands on them.

endagered,if you wave a gun at them,or you don't make yourself known to them if they approach.

I saw a guy two weeks ago set up 10 feet from the ashford A20 near Lenham,back to the road behind a hedge,in plain sight of the passers by and road users,he was facing the field,I drove back 4 hours later,he was still there.

Two of my farmers allow us to dig hole and secret hide

Really!!?? I was about to suggest that as a joke - make a man-sized burrow right next to where they feed, with a camouflaged lid that you could pop out of, like a giant Clanger! Brilliant.

Assuming the farmer won't allow you to dig a hole, could you do anything with bangers to move the birds to another part of the field where your decoys are?

sounds a silly idea to me, sorry! - laying on your back with a head/neck rest and using a cover hide (as they do a lot of geese) is a better bet if you want to be in the middle of the field, that way you can shoot a much bigger arc (and more comfortably)