foxin by the fire

KillStone

right now i am sittin by a good fire watchin tv ready for lambing at 9:30 the odd thing is i know that without any doubt there is a fox about 200yds up the field.....oh how i wish i had a rifle! as it is i only have my 12bore and a load of 36gram BB. hopefully he will come down for the pigeons around 20 yrds from my garden. will have a walk round after lambing/between lambs and see what happens! right where's that FAC application form :angry:

**** it well i have just educated the first one i have ever missed as i said **** it!!!! :angry:??? i am now one moody lad!!! I have shot over 35 foxes but this is the first one to get away, chees i got my work cutout now, a lot of late nights ahead! think im gonna go tomorrow and fill out application for FAC, 2 questions u will probs know answers to 1.What is the minimum age i can get a rifle at an 2. what calibre should i b lookin at to knock they ******* over out to bout 170-190yds (i seem to be a better rifle marksman!) any answers will b greatly appreciated p.s. my ideas were .22-250 or .243 oh also how far is a .22hornet gd for on foxes

Edited by KillStone

**** it well i have just educated the first one i have ever missed as i said **** it!!!! <_<:good: i am now one moody lad!!! I have shot over 35 foxes but this is the first one to get away, chees i got my work cutout now, a lot of late nights ahead! think im gonna go tomorrow and fill out application for FAC, 2 questions u will probs know answers to 1.What is the minimum age i can get a rifle at an 2. what calibre should i b lookin at to knock they ******* over out to bout 170-190yds (i seem to be a better rifle marksman!) any answers will b greatly appreciated p.s. my ideas were .22-250 or .243 oh also how far is a .22hornet gd for on foxes

Cannot buy a gun or ammunition if you are under 17. Other than that I do not know. I tripped up on this one!

No fac till 14- 15 if i rmember right :good:

A 22 hornet will take fox to 200 yrds :good:

If i can help any more i will :good:

are the .22hornets dear on ammo and 2nd hand rifles as i cant seem to find many for sale. Can they be a reliable and accurate round in terms of trajectory? i am turning 18 in 1 week so must surely be aloud to buy a rifle after that?! as all i want it for is foxes and i have plenty of land that the farmer used to get a licence for .22lr and .222 could ther b a problem ( i am responsible and have held sgc for around 3 yrs no convictions etc.). dnt mean to take the **** but just really want to look into this in detail hope u dont mind!! <_<

are the .22hornets dear on ammo and 2nd hand rifles as i cant seem to find many for sale. Can they be a reliable and accurate round in terms of trajectory? i am turning 18 in 1 week so must surely be aloud to buy a rifle after that?! as all i want it for is foxes and i have plenty of land that the farmer used to get a licence for .22lr and .222 could ther b a problem ( i am responsible and have held sgc for around 3 yrs no convictions etc.). dnt mean to take the **** but just really want to look into this in detail hope u dont mind!! <_<

If i where you i would go 223 good all round calibre :good:

cool well i think my mind has been made up and will go tomorrow and get the forms as had to postpone tht today and fill it out for a .22 hornet with mod for fox and vermin control. next thing i will have to find a cheap 2nd hand gun safe local(ish)! thanks for ur time magman sorry to hav wasted so much of it! <_<

**** it well i have just educated the first one i have ever missed as i said **** it!!!! <_<:good: i am now one moody lad!!! I have shot over 35 foxes but this is the first one to get away, chees i got my work cutout now, a lot of late nights ahead! think im gonna go tomorrow and fill out application for FAC, 2 questions u will probs know answers to 1.What is the minimum age i can get a rifle at an 2. what calibre should i b lookin at to knock they ******* over out to bout 170-190yds (i seem to be a better rifle marksman!) any answers will b greatly appreciated p.s. my ideas were .22-250 or .243 oh also how far is a .22hornet gd for on foxes

If I were you I would start asap on bringing this fella into shottie range on your terms, start by establishing a bait station, a pointed metal rod driven into the ground with some tasty morsels on it, dead hens, rabbits anything you can find.

Tempt it in closer by providing a diner, set out in range under a yard light lol.

Best of luck.

Rob

cheers for the advice mate i guess we hav all missed em. i have an established bait station all set up and fed it the night before with two rabbits not tied down then the night of the miss the fox took three pigeons today i have put two pigeons out tied to the stake and they are still there but will know later if he comes, i was thinkin of waiting up for it with the shottie as there is a cloudless sky so meb wudnt need the lamp and there is a thick hedge i can hide behind. oh wat to do? even if i dont stay up tonight will continue wit the feedin as this is a proven method. even i can hit a stationary fox 25-30 yards out!

Just a little tip which I am sure you know already so if you think I am trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs I appologise!

When setting up your bait station make sure that you stake down the bait you use with some steel rod or something to stop Charlie grabbing it and running off, you want him to stick around to eat it rather than "Hit and Run"!

Once you have your bait station established and Charlie is using it regularly try to cut up the "bait" in as small pieces as possible and "tread" them into the ground. This will make Charlie spend more time in the same place scavenging for the smaller pieces to satisfy his hunger while you have more time to spend taking an accurate aim!

Hope this helps! Just out of interest roughly where abouts are you?

cheers fella im in buckinghamshire. yeah i knew to tie the bait down but never thought of cuttin it up etc wen i want to shoot it thought that sounds like a gd idea. generally i use pigeons as bait and tie them to a large metal stake by their feet but the foxes just rip the bird away from the foot is there a better way to secure the birds or will this always happen?so far this fox has had a brace of pigeon every night for 4 nights now and is coming at around 10 at night so think i will wait for the rain to stop then set up my infra-red triggered spot light and hopefully get the shot proper this time. have already filled out the firearms app. so will get the referees to fill trheir bits out and get tht through then i will start serious foxin!