WHAT METHOD DO YOU USE?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT METHOD DO YOU USE?

• Walk slowly light on all the time
    • Keep light off and use sparingly whilst walking
    • Keep light off and use sparingly whilst sitting up
    • Mixture of both walking and sitting up
    • Depends on the night.

dont use the lamp for walking get a little torch for that.

use the lamp to have a quick scan of the field and always switch the lamp on whist pointing in the air, when you see the target you want have a very quick look and guess how far you have to go to get the target in range, then slowly stalk closer.

then when you think you are in range get into shooting position, switch on the lamp again (pointing in the air) bring scope down to target and that should get you a ncie big bag.

am sure there will be others with a lot more experiance than me replying to this thread :) so i could have got it totaly wrong as i dont do much lamping.

the only thing i will point out, distances can be very diseptive when loking through a scope and using a lamp.

if you got the money have a check out of the NV scope on the BBS thats up for sale at the moment.

ROB :lol:

Good post.

I now use a Clulite which has 2 bulbs, so a 'normal' one for walking if needed and then switching to the halogen for the actual lamping.

Normal method is, wlk quietly and slowly, stop, scan round and if anything looks a bit pink, keep swinging past and switch the lamp off. Get ready with the rifle and hit it again with the lamp, this method only gives you about 3-5 seconds to get a shot off.

I have heard that dazzling them, and then switching off/on gives you longer as they are still seeing stars, I haven't tried this, but I am out next week so will give it a go then.

I don't use a gun mounted lamp, I have a lampee do that for me :)

I will be interested to hear other shooters comments about this.

My first forray into lamping started this season. So I probably don't have the experience for all scenarios. However, I can suggest a few additional things. Firstly, its always handy to know your shoot. Try and work out the places the rabbits come out and feed. Secondly, as Rob said have a quick scan with your lamp and mark the positions of the Rabbits, estimate the position you need to get to, turn lamp off and quietly make your way up. Remember though, rabbits have big ears, though you cant see them they can see and hear you just as well as they do in daytime. And I did learn the hardway. :*)

If you have a bright torch use the rim of the beam rather than the spot, to check your position on the rabbits but always bring this down then accross and past the rabbits. Where possible I try and move around with the light off. I also try and make sure my outline can not be made out against the background. This will have a similar effect as seeing the light walking about.

If im ever struggling to get near i'll hold up for a while but too much on the light can prevent them getting closer. I have had many rabbits this way.

If you do get a runner and want him to stop switch you lamp off then back on but in front of its path. This works great with two lamps as your buddy can hold the rabbit in place while the other can line up a shot.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards,

Axe.

Now i've been lamping for 10 years now and one of the biggest problems is judging distance as your light source draws the target closer than what it really is.I can tell you that 35 yds at night looks like your that close that you could use the butt of the rifle instead of the pellet.

Some good tips already mentioned especially doing your homework where the major zones of activitie are and laying down personal markers identifying the range which can be seen at night is also a good tip.

I have personally found(when going solo) that on land not regulary lamped it's best to leave the lamp on why you approach ,the softer or diffused the light the better .On regulary lamped land i reccomend a really STRONG red filter (make your own ) but still leave the lamp on why you approach ,however prior to fitting this filter i always do a long range scan with the full beam first.I have come to this conclusion that too many times now i have stalked to within range only to turn on the lamp and spook the Rabbit or to find the things ****** off anyway and by keeping the lamp on i can track it if it bolts to the safety of the hedge where it'll take cover only for its red eye to give it's posistion away(Not much foliage in winter B) )By doing your homework you'll need to get between the warren and the rabbit as this will panic it if it does bolt so its not always wise to approach via the shortest route :lol:

To be effective you'll need a powerful lamp ,dimmer and a set of strong and mild red filters.Amber is the other colour i use.

This is what works for me on my permissions and might not suit everyone.

Geeze :lol:

Looking at the lenght of this post and i'm only just warming up.

Cheers

Ive

Edited by deadeye ive

Like i said i'm just warming up B)

Work as a pair with 1 gun , 1 main hand held POWERFUL lamp(red filter) and a 100m beam scope lamp(amber filter)

The spotter keeps still and keeps the main beam on the rabbit whilst you with the gun move into posistion and within range.(Keep out the way of the beam though)

Now your spotter could be 250m away as keeping the main beam absolutley still is critical especially on well lamped land and the light is probably not bright enough as a result of diffusing for you to take the shot so this is where your scope light comes into play with the different colour beam rather than spook the rabbit (which could well be on red alert )only confuses it even more .

Like i said this is what works well for me especially on the Golf course as the cover is normally small copses as opposed to privet hedge rows.

Cheers

Ive

Edited by deadeye ive

In the olden days B)

we used to use a car battery and a car spot light, one would carry the battery and lamp the rabbits then change over when your shoulder went all num.:lol: So it really had to be a team effort.

Then came the invention of the "small"gun mounted lamps :)

since then me and bro used to have our own fields to lamp. We used the spot from a distance, with just a short burst of the lamp and walk up closer to the area were the rabbits were then lamp again.

Its just a matter of what works best for you. :lol:

i,m with Rob on this one , but i like Deadeyes idea of walking up with light still on them , i shall have to give it a try .

The other thing i do if the rabbit starts to spook is put the light beam in front of them to try and stop them running , some times works as they seem reluctant to step into the path of the light , just gives enough time to get the shot off.

Just 1 last point before i bore everybody to death. B)

When a rabbit is spooked at 35yds(12 ft lb range) and bolts for safety and it reaches the hedgerow it just carries on and dives well into the cover provided never to be seen again .

When spooked at distance most will bolt to cover provided and sit on the edge or just inside allowing for your lamp to pick up there eyes. :lol: The ones that do seriously bolt in this senario are 17 HMR Fodder i'm afraid (you'll never get near them :) )

Again ,These are my own personal observations when lamping on short grass.

Long grass however can be different .................If you notice a rabbit trying to get as low to the ground as possible for example then you normally have all the time in the world for he thinks he's safe and won't bolt. :lol:

Cheers

Ive

A funny thing happened to me while out lamping a few years ago.

I'd managed to get between a rabbit and its warren, and as "Ive" said he got as close to the ground as possible, allowing me to get closer than you would normally

expect.

The problem I had was finding a good point of aim, and was firing overhead, after about 3 missed shots Mr bunny ran straight towards me. So I booted him up in the air and the dog caught him. B) :lol:

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. As they can become very confused by the lamp.

S.S

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. As  they can become very confused by the lamp.

No I cannot recall being booted up the **** then being bitten by a dog. Sorry.

***** B) :lol:

ROFLMAO - Nice one Snakey

And just to keep Ive happy :)

I sometimes use the method Ive explains, Holding the light on and walking it in. It can work succesfully, expecially when the rabbits have not been lamped to often. I get the impression that the glare of the lamp prevents them from working out wether or not the light is getting closer. Its also useful in pairs, as while the rabbit is stunned by the light your shooting partner, if you have one, can move around into shot.

I know some will argue the fact but I really think lamping in two's is far better than one. Another technique we use in pairs is pin spotting to one side of the rabbits, this is usually between a suitable shooting point and the rabbits. The idea is to hold the rabbits in place by drawing thier attention to the spot without shinning the lamp on them. All the while they are concious of the spot, your partner can stalk round to the suitable shooting postion and take the rabbits out.

The other reason for shooting in pairs is safety. I was out last night with Sussex Lad on a Golf Course shoot that has a very thick wood at the back. This drives up and down a course valley of chalk which is rather hazardous. Whilst working our way down to the back of the woods Sussex Lad took a stumble on the wet chalk, jokingly I said I wouldnt post it (Sorry Brian :lol: ) Mid you the same happened to me later. The point is, if your out and about in remote areas and fall hurting oneself a second person is going to be very useful indeed. In addition, on the way back to the club house we noticed kids playing on the fringe of the last hole. We spotted them with a single lamp without too much effect, but when the second lamp went on they became more cautious. Had this of got out of hand a second person is obviously of use.

You got me waffling now ive. :lol::lol:

Regards,

Axe.