Bipod or Tripod for stalking???

Hi, what is your favourite means of resting the rifle whilst on a stalk? I dont mean the harris type bipod, but the longer sticks, which are the best two or three legs? ???

hi Tim

i have both 2 an 3 leg sticks always found the 2 legs the better just on speed more then anything, i always carry a bag with an old pillow in it, it molds to the any floor and gives a good steady rest.

The sticks will take a few shots to get used to but there very good if it was me go with th2 leg. :good:

thanks for that ??? I have 2 leg type but wondered how much more messing about the three leg type are cos obviously you would have stability in both planes :lol::good:

Yes 3 are good mate never had any problems with them, it's just a bit quicker with 2 legs, but sometimes the extra second you need with the tried leg is the difference between the deer moving on! plus open stalks (no cover etc) just extra unwanted movement again can make the difference,.

That's the way i look at it anyway i go with 2 but in the right place 3 are just as good.

A

Hi, what is your favourite means of resting the rifle whilst on a stalk? I dont mean the harris type bipod, but the longer sticks, which are the best two or three legs? :(

If you are talking about the shot then 3 legs.

If you are talking carring them about, then the 2.

Lots of options these days, people often "doctor" up fishing gear, cut sticks, whatever.

The retracting types can be best for carrying, but they are not cheap and take time and are noisy to set up!!

So what is the best!!?? :good::D:D

If you are talking about the shot then 3 legs.

If you are talking carring them about, then the 2.

Lots of options these days, people often "doctor" up fishing gear, cut sticks, whatever.

The retracting types can be best for carrying, but they are not cheap and take time and are noisy to set up!!

So what is the best!!?? :good::D:D

Again all true...up to you mate really :(

I have always used the 2 leg type, and found them very good, as well as making a good walking stick, giving balance on uneven wet ground which is fairly common in Scotland. I went out foxing with a mate who had a 3 legs and what a palaver to set up banging and clattering, on the strength of that I wouldn't give em floorspace

I have a set of telescopic 2 leg sticks which I find very good. I can see the 3 legged being awkward if you are constantly on the move, but for a static position they may give a more stable position, but that again depends on body position with the 2 leg sticks.

Practice and see which ones you get on with, I practice with a PCP in my garden granted its not quite the same, but its good for speed and position

other option is to have 2 sticks, tie a piece of thin rope to the stick long enough to reach the ground when you set up stand on the piece of rope giving you the third leg, and added stability, I use tripod but agree it is more fidley(?) and makes more noise

doc

ps where in Barry do you live, my parents live in Marine Dr, used to live there for 25 yrs before moving with work down to Hampshire, I am back and forth a lot, you must have to travel for your stalking.

pm me if you ever fancy meeting up when I am visiting folks

Edited by docholiday

other option is to have 2 sticks, tie a piece of thin rope to the stick long enough to reach the ground when you set up stand on the piece of rope giving you the third leg, and added stability, I use tripod but agree it is more fidley(?) and makes more noise

Good advice from Doc, this is the method I use. :rolleyes:

Another bonus is that you then have a length of rope available to drag the beast or hang for gralloch.

I think you get what you pay for with sticks - and yes I've been through the using garden sticks, canes ect phase but now use a 3 leg set of 'Bogpods' . The dont clater together , you set the height then use them as a walking staff and because of the pivoting heady you can track a moving deer before the shot. They are rock solid and have taken some good long shots off them and for open ground stalking I cant see past them.

I am amazed that most shooters don't bad an eyelid at paying £100+ for a harris bipod but seem to opt for the cheapest shooting stick available and can't work out why they shoot badly!

Depends what sort of environment you're in? In woodland, stalking muntjac or fallow, I reckon a single thumbstick that you can quickly lean against a tree is best. In moorland, stalking red deer, I'd probably take the tallest Harris I could find because I'm tall enough to use it at its smallest setting for prone shooting, and extended it's ideal for when you're sitting/laying back on a downward slope. I'd never take a standing shot at a deer (at range on open moorland) with just a pair of sticks, or even a tripod, regardless of the quality - the front end of the gun might be steady as a rock on a tripod, but my body sways and my heartbeat makes the stock twitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...