Can you legally use a .222 on Muntjac?

Evil Elvis

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think ive answered my own question:

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

So from that Id say yes?

bout 2 weeks ago bout 11.30 on a fri night got me a nice big buck with my .222 using 40gr v-max. Head shot straight down and some very nice eating aswell. Have taken plenty of muntys with my .222. it is far more than capable to do it. happy hunting

Also at 11.30 at night did you lamp the buck? i'm sure thats illegal isn't it? do correct me if i'm wrong

George

Edited by groach1234

is anyone else going to answer the question with honesty or are your horses too high. i know the rules and i know my trade i have done it for long enough thankyou and very well indeed. youve all shot at things you shouldnt of im sure. 40gr is ample at 30 yds to the head. but this is not my norm round i usally use 55gr sp. but on this night 40gr were the load and foxes the game just happend upon a munty. muntys are classed as pests in my area and as it was a buck no probs there.a question was asked to which i answered :yes:

muntjac deer come under vermin control so lamping is fine

I think misinformed is the polite way of putting it, you can call them vermin to your hearts content, and in some instances I would agree, but they are covered by the Deer Act 1991 and Amendments.

40g is not allowed for normal hunting, neither is night shooting without an appropriate licence from Natural England.

Breaking the law is stupid with firearms, shouting about it is ******* ****.