Missing and missing and missing

sitsinhedges

I really feel like giving up on the clays, I just can't hit anything lately :/

Went today and I might aswell have been firing blanks off on the Sporting.

I used to do alright with my old Lanber Sporting Deluxe but having treated myself to my two dream shotguns a couple of months back, Beretta Silver Pigeon S in 20g and Urika 391 Light 12. I may aswell just sell them and save myself a whole load of frustration.

I could have 10 tries at an easy target and just not hit it once, I just don't know what to do and I can't really afford a fortune on coaching lessons.

Both the guns fit me fine though they are both light guns, 6 + 6 1/2 lbs, maybe that's why I just don't know. Never struggled with the Hatsan 20g and its lack of weight though, in fact shot rather well with it :lol:

The only thing I did OK on today was Skeet with 20 out of 25 hit. Struggled to hit anything before or after though.

I took a friend on an introduction course last week with the result of him outshooting me afterwards and he'd never picked up a gun before :sly:

Really fed up :rolleyes:

Any ideas :lol:

well if you hit 20 outa 25 on skeet mate,it aint all bad news surely :rolleyes: keep at it ,are you losing concentration?or thinking too long about what your doing? we all have off days, just keep at it mate,im sure all will come good in the end :/ or book yourself a couple of lessons with an instructor, :sly: atb BB

If it's any consulation....I am also going through the 'lull' , past 2 clay shoots, I have shot appallingly, even the 'kid' out scored me on one stand..!! my Lanber Sporting Deluxe and I are not communicating.....I did loan a Caesar Guerini Maxum 34" for 5 pairs at my last Clay shoot, just to try, nothing to loose, and could not miss..!! after the shoot we left a few traps put and I carried on using this Caesar and I was dusting clays all over.........confused....yes I am...I shot very well before the 'lull'.........

ATB

Tony

I used to do alright with my old Lanber Sporting Deluxe but having treated myself to my two dream shotguns a couple of months back, Beretta Silver Pigeon S in 20g and Urika 391 Light 12. I may aswell just sell them and save myself a whole load of frustration.

I could have 10 tries at an easy target and just not hit it once, I just don't know what to do and I can't really afford a fortune on coaching lessons.

Both the guns fit me fine though they are both light guns, 6 + 6 1/2 lbs, maybe that's why I just don't know. Never struggled with the Hatsan 20g and its lack of weight though, in fact shot rather well with it :lol:

The only thing I did OK on today was Skeet with 20 out of 25 hit. Struggled to hit anything before or after though.

I took a friend on an introduction course last week with the result of him outshooting me afterwards and he'd never picked up a gun before :sly:

not to far from me why dont you come along to a local shoot/practice ground and we can have a look

guy i go with is cpsa coach/ref/safty officer and he give good advice free of charge

helped me out no end when hitting(missing) loopers i just used to walk past a stand if it had any on intill we spent a hour on them

offers there if you want it

well if you hit 20 outa 25 on skeet mate,it aint all bad news surely :/ keep at it ,are you losing concentration?or thinking too long about what your doing? we all have off days, just keep at it mate,im sure all will come good in the end :sly: or book yourself a couple of lessons with an instructor, :lol: atb BB

The thing is that I am shooting as poorly as I was when I got my licence back 2yrs ago. I used to go decoying with the Lanber then and would get 20 odd pigeons for a couple of boxes of cartridges.

I am standing there now wondering how the hell I just missed that, they're not even hard targets :rolleyes:

I am standing there now wondering how the hell I just missed that, they're not even hard targets :rolleyes:

The only easy target is the one you can dust mate :/ i have been in this position myself,seem to dust long rangy birds,but miss ones at the end of the barrels :sly: so now i treat all birds presented as difficult :lol: well at least until ive hit them :lol: BB

Are you sure you are not shooting over the top - I had a Beretta390 and couldn't hit a thing - I pattened it and it shot 3ft high at 30yrds -- this wasn't due to not fitting - when I looked down rib all I could see was bead -- A mate also had problems with 391 not long ago and while we were waiting to shoot I said to him - lean on the trailer and point at the centre of a trap that was 30yrds away behind us (it was safe area) - now hold gun still and move your head down side of barrel and tell me where it's pointing - Hell he said over top of trap - now try mine - the barrel was pointing where he placed bead -- I like a flat shooting gun and that means barrel and rib are almost parallel - Perhaps your Lanber was same. I used to dry check from bedroom window at something 30-40yrds away. - Beretta's to me especially 390-391's do shoot high. The lad with 391 now has a DT10 and that is spot on.

Dave

Are you sure you are not shooting over the top - I had a Beretta390 and couldn't hit a thing - I pattened it and it shot 3ft high at 30yrds -- this wasn't due to not fitting - when I looked down rib all I could see was bead -- A mate also had problems with 391 not long ago and while we were waiting to shoot I said to him - lean on the trailer and point at the centre of a trap that was 30yrds away behind us (it was safe area) - now hold gun still and move your head down side of barrel and tell me where it's pointing - Hell he said over top of trap - now try mine - the barrel was pointing where he placed bead -- I like a flat shooting gun and that means barrel and rib are almost parallel - Perhaps your Lanber was same. I used to dry check from bedroom window at something 30-40yrds away. - Beretta's to me especially 390-391's do shoot high. The lad with 391 now has a DT10 and that is spot on.

Dave

To be honest I'm not sure where I'm shooting.

I mostly use the 20g Silver Pig S because my main interest is pigeon shooting and general mooching and I want a light gun to use (carry for miles). This one is a real beauty with wood far better than the average S.

I did pattern it when I first got it and found the bead would cover the bull for the first barrel but the second would shoot maybe 6 inches higher even though they boresight as identical to each other. Maybe different recoil characteristics.

What I do know is that I've got to the point where I'm not enjoying something that I've put a great deal of effort into anymore.

Well I just went up my shoot (luckily it's only a few minutes away) and shot at four pattern plates.

I looked at the plate then mounted and shot the gun without aiming as such, just peripherally aware that it was there and though there was some lateral difference the charge of shot tended to be in the top half of the target at 15metres with the bottom of the pattern catching the 100mm bull.

Does this tell me anything :rolleyes:

Apart from it's raining :/

I'd stick with the one gun, chopping and changing gauges, weights etc won't do you any favours. Sell one, use the cash to get some lessons.

Relax - shooting should be fun, i'm sure most of us have been in your position before - if it was easy, we'd all be winning high gun!!!

Could it be that your not maintaining swing and stopping therefore shooting way behind? Can your mate lend you a heavier gun to try and see if that cures you. If that turns out to be the problem then you will have to learn to swing through and not rely of the gun weigh to pull you through.

Could it be that your not maintaining swing and stopping therefore shooting way behind? Can your mate lend you a heavier gun to try and see if that cures you. If that turns out to be the problem then you will have to learn to swing through and not rely of the gun weigh to pull you through.

Yeh, I was wondering that.

I suppose the heavier Lanber I used to use probably swung itself more.

Maybe I ought to get it back out and see if it cures me.

I still need to get on with these light guns though, they're so pleasant to carry around the fields.

I'd stick with the one gun, chopping and changing gauges, weights etc won't do you any favours. Sell one, use the cash to get some lessons.

Relax - shooting should be fun, i'm sure most of us have been in your position before - if it was easy, we'd all be winning high gun!!!

I was sticking with the 20g Silver Pigeon by and large, it's a perfect gun for the fields and if I can find my mark I intend to keep it forever.

I have had some great shots with it but too many poor ones aswell. It's a beautiful gun :o

Both the guns fit me fine though they are both light guns, 6 + 6 1/2 lbs, maybe that's why I just don't know. Never struggled with the Hatsan 20g and its lack of weight though, in fact shot rather well with it :o

No such thing as an easy target, just those that you think are easy.

From what you've said it sounds as though your guns do fit you ok, though i would say too light for clays. What loads are you using? Do you suffer from recoil? Flinching maybe? Just a thought.

It sounds like a confidence problem to me, everyones form dips at times, nothing to worry about. You need to build confidence by going back and starting again with the basics. When things go wrong it's very easy to forget things like positioning, hold/kill points etc. in your rush to kill the target. Take your time and talk yourself through your set up on every shot. If you miss don't be afraid to change what you're doing. It will soon come back to you. Watch any top shot and they're almost robotic in the way they address any particular target. If you're having trouble with sporting birds at the moment leave it for a while and shoot skeet, you're doing ok on that and breaking clays is what will build your confidence, not missing them. If you'd have come away today having scored say 85/100 on the skeet i'm sure you'd be far happier and less frustrated? You'd also be building up that all important confidence, and more importantly you'll start enjoying it again. :o

Well I just went up my shoot (luckily it's only a few minutes away) and shot at four pattern plates.

I looked at the plate then mounted and shot the gun without aiming as such, just peripherally aware that it was there and though there was some lateral difference the charge of shot tended to be in the top half of the target at 15metres with the bottom of the pattern catching the 100mm bull.

Does this tell me anything :o

Apart from it's raining :o

Well if it was me I'd like to see it shooting a bit lower than that ! I reckon at 15 meters it should only be shooting 4-6" high. From the middle of the pattern . I always pattern a new gun helps alot with the mount in my opinion! Good luck it takes time shooting a new gun

Yeh, I was wondering that.

I suppose the heavier Lanber I used to use probably swung itself more.

Maybe I ought to get it back out and see if it cures me.

I still need to get on with these light guns though, they're so pleasant to carry around the fields.

How is your game shooting with these guns because you need a lighter gun sometimes when walking fields and its a case of horses for courses you might be better using the heavier lanber for clays (more resistence in your swing and more likely to follow through)aand the lighter ones for game :hmm::good:

How is your game shooting with these guns because you need a lighter gun sometimes when walking fields and its a case of horses for courses you might be better using the heavier lanber for clays (more resistence in your swing and more likely to follow through)aand the lighter ones for game :lol:;)

I seem to hit the snapshots but struggle with those high coasting pigeon that seem to just drift over effortlessly though I did find my mark with the AL391 light 12 a few weeeks ago and posted about the amazing high shots I was pulling off.

The next day in the same situation I shot like a monkey though :good:

Don't really want to use a heavy gun for one thing and a light one for another, think that would just confuse the situation.

The 20g really is such a pleasure to use :o