.223 40gr Vmax re-loading

Had my 1st loads made and tested them this morning, they were 40gr Vmax over 23gr and 24gr of N130 and set back quite far from the lands.

The 23gr grouped @.475 centre to centre at 100yds with four of the shots @.155 :angry:

The four 24gr shots grouped @.844 so we had a clear winner.

I took it back to about 225yds measured on google earth rather than paces and shot three more to see the drop, well happy with the 1.1" group considering I just blatted them off one after the other instead of the previous heavy breathing and waiting for things to cool down. They however dropped about 3.2" on average which seems a bit slower than I had expected. With my scope height being 1.9" and the BC of .200 I think they are only doing 3200fps using a ballistics program.

The only book we had with the n130/40gr hornady combination started loads at 21gr and went up to 24.6gr from memory, does anyone have any different info?

I obviously need to chronograph them but I'm not sure what to do, my aims were cheapness, velocity and accuracy for those 250yds foxes. Factory stuff which always seems to do about .8" is going up and no one ever seems to stock the same rounds when I go back a year later.

post-650-1269189534.jpg

post-650-1269189615.jpg

Had my 1st loads made and tested them this morning, they were 40gr Vmax over 23gr and 24gr of N130 and set back quite far from the lands.

The 23gr grouped @.475 centre to centre at 100yds with four of the shots @.155 :D

The four 24gr shots grouped @.844 so we had a clear winner.

I took it back to about 225yds measured on google earth rather than paces and shot three more to see the drop, well happy with the 1.1" group considering I just blatted them off one after the other instead of the previous heavy breathing and waiting for things to cool down. They however dropped about 3.2" on average which seems a bit slower than I had expected. With my scope height being 1.9" and the BC of .200 I think they are only doing 3200fps using a ballistics program.

The only book we had with the n130/40gr hornady combination started loads at 21gr and went up to 24.6gr from memory, does anyone have any different info?

I obviously need to chronograph them but I'm not sure what to do, my aims were cheapness, velocity and accuracy for those 250yds foxes. Factory stuff which always seems to do about .8" is going up and no one ever seems to stock the same rounds when I go back a year later.

post-650-1269189534.jpg

post-650-1269189615.jpg

I believe for the purposes of measuring groups you measure from centre to centre of the bullet holes, so your groups are better than you thought.

Andy

Their all dead foxes :D

As addictive as reloading is, I became very fixated with trying to shoot same whole groups with my 223 @ 100yards...

Ok.. I've managed to do it after lots of trial and error- but I doub't Mr Fox really cares ?!

Cheers for the replies, I am very happy with the groups but was hoping for something flatter out at long range as my range finding at night is awful with night vision. At least I have an idea of holdover now which was about 1/2 a dot.

One of the cases also showed burning at the bottom (where the rim is on a .22lr) is this a bad sign? pic below:

They Correct way to measure is out side to outside and then take off the bullet diameter from the total :D

Sorry should have said, I opened the calipers to .224 and then zeroed them which I think gives centre to centre when you measure edge to edge :unsure:

post-650-1269241142.jpg

post-650-1269241174.jpg

Hi,

All my working life I've used a traditional vernier but now have an electronic version. Because it was not possible with the old, I would never in a million years have thought about your zeroeing trick. Simplicity is genius. Many thanks for the tip which may have been blindingly obvious to everyone else but not to me.

Cheers

Benny, are you 'avin a larf, or are you genuinely concerned about your shooting? (refer to the group pictured above)

I might be missing the point but I am over the moon with the group, I am concerned (probably unnecessarily) with why its so slow though. The reloading book I looked at showed 23gr being not that far off the maximum of 24.6gr which would be giving circa 3800fps+ and so I was hoping for 3500-3600fps and aiming straight at anything I could see through my 7.5X scope.

I guess its not going to happen with a 19" barrel :good:

• 2 weeks later...