New to this seeking advice

Fountain

Hi all new member here,

I've just purchase my gun today (686E) and I'm now after advice regarding:

Eye protection, any recommended?

Hearing protection, likewise.

Insurance, CPSA, BASC?

Cartridge choices, what load, shot size, is it best to by bulk?

I'd also like to have a few lessons to make sure my technique starts correctly along with generally tips and safety advice etc.

I'm based in the west Norfolk area and hope to start visiting various grounds (any recommendations) soon as I've sorted all the above.

Thanks for any advice.

Adam

Hi all new member here,

I've just purchase my gun today (686E) and I'm now after advice regarding:

Eye protection, any recommended?

Hearing protection, likewise.

Insurance, CPSA, BASC?

Cartridge choices, what load, shot size, is it best to by bulk?

I'd also like to have a few lessons to make sure my technique starts correctly along with generally tips and safety advice etc.

I'm based in the west Norfolk area and hope to start visiting various grounds (any recommendations) soon as I've sorted all the above.

Thanks for any advice.

Adam

hi adam, wellcome to pigeon watch,

good choice with the gun, i used to have one and i loved it, eye protection, hear you can spend between £10 and over £300 depending on if you want them for general protection or balistic protection.

hearing protection also comes in many forms, with me it was trial and error, i started out with the headphone type that i didnt like, then went onto plugs witch were better then went for the custom fit plugs £60 well worth it, insrance is a personal choice depending on your own views, cpsa is mostly for clay shooters, basc is more game shooting, as for cartriges, 28g are the general limit at most clay grounds, with shot size ranging from 7 to 9, 9 is more for skeet and close targets generaly id say 7 1/2, for game 30/32g shot size 5/6 eley, hull, always a good choice but there are many more,

always good to have lessons from the start so as to get it right from the word go before you pick up bad habbits

hope this helps :yes:

Lee

Adam

Welcome to clay shooting I am certain you will enjoy it- if you don't need CPSA for a while and BASC is rather expensive you could try NGO (national gamekeepers organisation ) for insurance- £25 ish covers you for any type of liability. - you will be able to shoot bird only at most shoots - if you can find what they call on here "straw bales" ie- small locally run clubs get some practice in there.

Dave

Thanks for the info, so with the custom ear plugs do you make a mould of your ear and send that off?

So far I've found heacham, wolferton, bawderswell, bodham, taverham shooting grounds. Heacham and wolferton nr sandringham being the closest to me. Does anyone attend these?

Hopefully I can get some practice with my uncle who had a clay shoot operate off his farm land until it finished with the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001. He still has all the traps etc.

I am new too, I bought one of these http://www.breconretail.co.uk/browning-ran...ction-591-p.asp great for starting I use the plugs and have muffs for watching or if the other half comes with. I would recommend you have a lesson or 2 first to check the fit of the gun and the other aspects. I pay £30 for a 50 bird lesson which seems fair (includes clays) and check out local dealers for cart prices £130 ish per 1000 or £4 a box of 25 is about as cheap as they get (most places let you buy 250 at the 1000 rate)

Thanks for the info, so with the custom ear plugs do you make a mould of your ear and send that off?

So far I've found heacham, wolferton, bawderswell, bodham, taverham shooting grounds. Heacham and wolferton nr sandringham being the closest to me. Does anyone attend these?

Hopefully I can get some practice with my uncle who had a clay shoot operate off his farm land until it finished with the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001. He still has all the traps etc.

I am new too, I bought one of these http://www.breconretail.co.uk/browning-ran...ction-591-p.asp great for starting I use the plugs and have muffs for watching or if the other half comes with. I would recommend you have a lesson or 2 first to check the fit of the gun and the other aspects. I pay £30 for a 50 bird lesson which seems fair (includes clays) and check out local dealers for cart prices £130 ish per 1000 or £4 a box of 25 is about as cheap as they get (most places let you buy 250 at the 1000 rate)

If you can afford it it, get yourselves along to the great North beats South clay shoot at Hodnet

"Fountain" i know you may think its a long way but im sure someone is putting transport on from Norfolk (Combine and trailer i heard :unsure: )

shaun

Yes, with most companies they recommend you visit them for a fitting or that you go to your local audiology department for a mould and post it off to them. I used a company that visits your home and does the whole lot for about £80. Also If you go to one of the big game fairs or motorcycle shows there is usually someone there who is offering that service. In my opinion it was worth the money over the ear muffs or the generic plugs that you can buy. :unsure:

yes mate get a candle and drip hot wax into your ear untill its full, leave to set of half hour, prize it out with kitchen knife and send it off www.helpmy*******eariskillingme.com :unsure: :):lol::lol::hmm::P:P:lol::lol:

yes mate get a candle and drip hot wax into your ear untill its full, leave to set of half hour, prize it out with kitchen knife and send it off www.helpmy*******eariskillingme.com :lol::lol::hmm::P:P:lol::lol::lol::lol:

What do you do to stop it dripping out of the other ear though?????????????????? it does not tell you on the website you have quoted :unsure: :)

Yeah I'm only about 35 mile from mid Norfolk shooting school so that's one option I have for tuition.

Went out earlier and got my first 250 cartridges. For an all rounder/low cost I was sold the hull cartridge comp x 28g 71/2. Hopefully they'll be ok.

What are those Napier pro 10 ear defenders like? Was thinking of a stop gap until I get the moulded.

Seen some deben and topgun glasses with four lenses, costs 35-65. Anyone own those brands?

Thanks for advice

Yeah I'm only about 35 mile from mid Norfolk shooting school so that's one option I have for tuition.

Went out earlier and got my first 250 cartridges. For an all rounder/low cost I was sold the hull cartridge comp x 28g 71/2. Hopefully they'll be ok.

What are those Napier pro 10 ear defenders like? Was thinking of a stop gap until I get the moulded.

Seen some deben and topgun glasses with four lenses, costs 35-65. Anyone own those brands?

Thanks for advice

Good cartridge ???

if your after a pair of defenders as a stopgap then can i suggest you go to your nearest ex army store and buy a pair there

mine is selling napier over ear protectors for a fiver.

shaun