Mechanic help wanted

christy

Hi folks, god do hate trying to do anything on the car-all so simple but it always comes with a naffing problem. Todays is, I am trying to fit some new shoes to our 98 Fiesta. Easy really...well probably, if I could get the poxy hub off!!!

I kinda thought take the wheel off, tap the hub with a hammer and it will fall off. Erm...no. The handbrake IS off and the hub spins freely. Locked on solid. Is there something I need to know? Something to undo first? I had a look at the bearing nut but discounted that. Do I need a puller of some sort?

Heeelp please :)

It wont come off cos the shoes have worn it down leaving a lip that's now catching the old shoe. Keep braying it with a club hammer, it'll come off and when it does cover the bearing both sides and grind the lip off. It'll be possible to ease the self adjuster for the shoes, but the above is a much simpler option.

Hi folks, god do hate trying to do anything on the car-all so simple but it always comes with a naffing problem. Todays is, I am trying to fit some new shoes to our 98 Fiesta. Easy really...well probably, if I could get the poxy hub off!!!

I kinda thought take the wheel off, tap the hub with a hammer and it will fall off. Erm...no. The handbrake IS off and the hub spins freely. Locked on solid. Is there something I need to know? Something to undo first? I had a look at the bearing nut but discounted that. Do I need a puller of some sort?

Heeelp please :yes:

You probably don't want to take the whole hub off, just the caliper.

Typically two large bolts hold this onto the hub.

Have you got a manual?

[edit] Sorry, just realised you're talking about the back wheels :) [/edit]

If there's any adjustment back off the brakes as much as possible.

As above, hammer from behind, working your way round to 'ease' it off.

If it doesn't move try 'easing' it a big harder.

Nial

Edited by Nial

There is probably two screws into the drum. You will need to undo these first, it might be tight and need a tap but shouldnt be too bad.

The screws are normally in the outer face, and would be sandwiched between the wheel and the hub when the wheel is on.

Good luck!

nope you had it right the hub nut has to come off knock the tabs down first

and you will need a big bar it was as tight as Alexander Darling when I did

Vicky's Fiesta.

You sure Holmes? Only reason I say is cos none of the above mention taking the hub nut off.

Ok I'll go with it...is it a normal thread or a lefty?

Thanks to all for the replies-keep em coming...

You sure Holmes? Only reason I say is cos none of the above mention taking the hub nut off.

Ok I'll go with it...is it a normal thread or a lefty?

Thanks to all for the replies-keep em coming...

Never ceases to amaze me people that dont know how to do something are willing to risk their lives bodging about with brakes for the sake of a few quid saved at a garage. Unless of course it isn't your car and you don't give a toss - what you say it's your wife/girlfriends and your kids travel in it, hey no problem bodge away :)

and yes you will need to remove the hub nut, it wont be tight. When you put it back together use the correct torque and technique or you will be needing new wheel bearings 3 months down the track or if you ignore the grumbling wheel bearings you will have 3 wheels on your wagon.

Never ceases to amaze me people that dont know how to do something are willing to risk their lives bodging about with brakes for the sake of a few quid saved at a garage. Unless of course it isn't your car and you don't give a toss - what you say it's your wife/girlfriends and your kids travel in it, hey no problem bodge away :)

and yes you will need to remove the hub nut, it wont be tight. When you put it back together use the correct torque and technique or you will be needing new wheel bearings 3 months down the track or if you ignore the grumbling wheel bearings you will have 3 wheels on your wagon.

Hardly rocket science fitting shoes. If the garage didn't ask me 50.00 per hour and then ####### me it takes an hour and a half to do I would be there.

Are you a KwikFit fitter by any chance :yes:

Nope :) just trying to make you think about what you are doing, don't bite me.

hi sprinter

wish i contacted you afew months back as i had the same problem which i

thought i could fix myself then last week the bearing collapsed and the wheel

fell off while my girlfriend was driving to work luckily only doing 20 mph

at the time lesson learnt so that is good advice u are giving and free

dolphin

I have just asked jeaves and was transported to a site that shows in detail the process. Hells bells what a complicated bloody process. I have replaced shoes on various motors over the years, always a cinch-15 mins a side. But this one has springs and things everywhere I look.

Looks like I am going to have to hand over a fortune to the robbers down the road. :)

I have just asked jeaves and was transported to a site that shows in detail the process. Hells bells what a complicated bloody process. I have replaced shoes on various motors over the years, always a cinch-15 mins a side. But this one has springs and things everywhere I look.

Looks like I am going to have to hand over a fortune to the robbers down the road. :)

Sounds like a plan take it to a mechanic..... look on the good garage scheme,or the ATA website for a decent garage and you should't get ripped off.

Haggis.

If you take both drums off you can look at the other side if you get stuck. also if you place the springs on the floor the way you took them off helps. thats what i do at work if i havent done it before also long nose mole grips are good for removing springs

And yet you still try and get the drums off without removing the hub nuts :good:

I'm not familiar with that model so can't comment but the reassembly is key re correct torque etc.

Remember that you aren't paying the garage just for doing the job, you are paying for them knowing how to do it safely.

ATB,

Jon.

If you take both drums off you can look at the other side if you get stuck. also if you place the springs on the floor the way you took them off helps. thats what i do at work if i havent done it before also long nose mole grips are good for removing springs

Thanks, good idea, think I'll use your plan and have a go tomorrow.

You don't need to remove bearing nuts on these, have a look behind the drums (suspension side) I think you'll find there are 4 bolts (either 17mm or 19mm) that hold the drum and hub on, you can remove these and the drum comes off with the hub, the rear bearings on these are preloaded are torqued up pretty tight (cant' remember exaclty as I left the trade in 2000) but if you undo the 4 bolts you won't need to remove the bearing.

Before you remove the drum, there'll be a rubber grommet near the 4 bolts that you can remove and use a screwdriver to remove some of the adjustment off the shoes to make the drum removal easier.

Edited by Deker

You don't need to remove bearing nuts on these, have a look behind the drums (suspension side) I think you'll find there are 4 bolts (either 17mm or 19mm) that hold the drum and hub on, you can remove these and the drum comes off with the hub, the rear bearings on these are preloaded are torqued up pretty tight (cant' remember exaclty as I left the trade in 2000) but if you undo the 4 bolts you won't need to remove the bearing.

Before you remove the drum, there'll be a rubber grommet near the 4 bolts that you can remove and use a screwdriver to remove some of the adjustment off the shoes to make the drum removal easier.

Thats a better idea if you dont want to mess the bearings up,try and find 2 studs with same thread to put into the stub axle when you put it back as its a pig to line up otherwise, cant you find diagrams or instructions online?

Haggis.

Removing the hub is all well and good but its hard to line all back up when reassembling. I work in a garage we would charge 1.5 hours as its our expertise your paying for. I am not saying this is a difficult job but if you carnt remove the drum should you really be playing with your brakes. I am not getting at you buddy your not the 1st or last. If i remeber rightly the drums are hard on these same as focusus all fords tbh we use a slide hammer to get them off its the quickest way without knackering the drum. The rust lip as already mentioned is why its stuck solid. Have a look at the good garage scheme as already mentioned whe are members and you will get good quality work by all its members. You get what you pay for in the long run if the wheel falls of 30 miles down the line you have a case for the garage to repair the car free of charge.