Licence running out question.

Guest rimotu66

Guest rimotu66

Folks, my car/bike licence runs out this year but I dont know what to do, do I get a reminder or form or something ? Am a bit concerned as Ive heard quite a bit about them coming back minus your bike licence.

Jon.

Folks, my car/bike licence runs out this year but I dont know what to do, do I get a reminder or form or something ? Am a bit concerned as Ive heard quite a bit about them coming back minus your bike licence.

Jon.

Renewed mine last year, and it still had bike entitlement, just checked!!

Andy

Guest rimotu66

Cheers guys but am still no clearer, can I keep the one Ive got, dont you have to send it off?? Yes it is a picture type licence. The link to the dvla only says about renewing at 70 y/o which I'm not just yet :no: I'll do a bit of searching and come back if I find anything. :lol:

Jon.

I'd photocopy your original licence just incase.I remember watching Watchdog few years back and it showed peoples licences comming back without their HGV,PSV and bike.DVLA denied knowledge and i think the people ended up retaking their tests.

Guest rimotu66

Here it is guys, http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...cence/DG_078070

Looks you have to send your card and paper bit back unless you have lost it so I might conveniently lose mine so Ive got proof as I have heard and read quite a bit about people getting there licences back with entitlements missing, and photo copy's dont seem to do any good with the dvla. :)

Is this just another way of getting bikers off the road????:hmm:

It's the 'photo that expires every 10 years, therefore the licence must be renewed at this interval. I work in the motorcycle training industry, and DVLA 'losing' peoples bike entitlement is more common than you'd think. We have retrained many people over the years that this has happened to. If the DVLA send the licence back with the category A (motorcycles) missing there is no way to have it reinstated other than passing your test again, so that means CBT, theory and then the new two part practical test. It can add up to a lot of money.

My advice (off the record you understand) is to apply for a new licence, supplying new 'photos, after having 'lost' your original. If it then comes back minus category A, you would miraculously 're-find' the 'lost' licence, thus PROVING you had cat. A.

Guest rimotu66

Spot on Rover, there was even a guy who was a bike mechanic for the police and he test rode the bikes he worked on, he lost his bike entitlement upon renual and even with police back up the faceless wonders would not reistate his bike licence.... :) DVLA

So yes, either I will apply for a new one before it expires or 'lose' mine before I apply for my new one.

Just checked, it runs out end of Dec this year.

Guest rimotu66
Costs you if you loose it, a photocopy of original should cover it (if you want to be really anal get the local police/solicitor to copy it and keep it on file)

I dont mind 'wasting' money if it keeps my bike licence, 'Anal' ? have you got a bike licence? You havnt read all the post's? Ive already said about the police mechanic who lost his bike licence and even with the police support the faceless wonders with there heads up there rear holes would not give him it back. No, I will be keeping my original as proof. :)

Guys if you are that worried just photocopy.

Your entitlements are held on record and each transaction with DVLA is microfiched......

The photo expires every ten years and they will send you a reminder to the address YOU have told them you live at.

It is a requirement and your responsibility to tell them about your change of address and changes of address are free.

So no complaining when your reminder is sent to an old address and you get pinged with an out of date licence because YOU could not be ***** to comply with your requirements.

They will listen to arguements and will admit when they are wrong.

They issue millions of licences so accept that their data imput is done by someone paid per keystroke ...................

Look on the front of the licence and you will see the date of issue and expiry of hte current photocard ( its not always ten years as the date of issue reflects the last transaction such as a change of address but the expiry date will be ten years from the last reknewall) On the back is the dates of the expiry of your current entitlements)

Check direct gov as the rules change all the time.

Edited by happypig