cartridges

Me personally..I use 28g-7.5 / 28g-8 for clays, my lad uses 21g-7.5/24g-7.5 for clays (these 'lighter' loads are cheaper to buy)

30g-6 / 32g-6 / 34g-5 for game, as for prices, it does seem to vary from region to region.

ATB

Tony

As for chokes - I use 1/4 & 1/2 for clays, and 3/4 for game with my Semi-Auto

Edited by TonySmith

I use 28g-7.5 / 28g-8 for gereral clays :yes::lol:

Tend to use 5 for most things out in the field, crows, pigeon, rabbit, etc, and usually 1/2 choke. You will get a lot of variation here, as land, experience, quarry, situations, range etc will be that bit different for everyone. :o

28g 7.5 or 8 for clays

30g 6's pigeons

30g 5 pheasents

I only use 30grams for game as I use an old side by side. I would prefer to use 32grams but I not sure it would handle it (or my shoulder as it's a light gum)

hope that is some help

• 2 weeks later...

I use 28 gram 7.5 shot Hull Sovereign or Eley V.I.P for sporting clays and I use a 3/4 choke,

24 gram 9.5 shot RC 1s for skeet and I use a 1/4 choke usually but sometimes I can't be bothered to change my choke so sometimes use 3/4.

For Decoying I use Eley HB Pigeon 32 gram 6.5 shot with a 1/4 choke. Nice dense patterns for the close work.

For Roost shooting and high birds usually 34 gram 6 shot cartridges. My old man just splashed out on some 36 gram Fiocchi 6 shot so now gotta get through them. Slight over kill but do get good results at range with them. I use a 1/2 choke with this load.

Bigger game and crow shooting I use a 32 gram 5 shot Fiocchi load. I use full choke for the crows and usually 1/2 choke for Pheasant when walking.

Fox shooting get a 3" magnum with 52 grams of 3 shot lead with 3/4 choke. Sorts them out a treat.

I use a semi auto mostly but now gonna brush the dust off my dad's old side by side he has given me so gotta get my shoulder ready for some abuse.

Edited by chezza1986

Generally the same here too.

28 grams of 7 1/2`s or 8`s for clay, 32 gram 5`s for rabbits and pigeons (might go as far as 35 or 36 gram 5`s for really high pheasants), Steel 5`s or 4`s for duck and generally 3`s or 1`s in hevishot for geese (36 grams for the geese and 31 grams for the ducks), although depending on the price I have been known to use 1`s and bb`s in steel for geese depening on price and aavailability of hevishot.

If i were you the best all rounders would be:

Eley Hawk 12g 28g 7.5 ...

They are cheap in price are functional in all surroundings, as some clay shoots don't allow any bigger shot size, and they still have enough punch to take down any bird, other than bigger game such as geese...

It probably would be better to go up to 30g and shot size 6 for game... but the 7.5 is the perfect all rounder

Only disadvantage is that the plastic wadding is often frowned upon on some game shoots or at farmers discression...

hope this helps

If i were you the best all rounders would be:

Eley Hawk 12g 28g 7.5 ...

They are cheap in price are functional in all surroundings, as some clay shoots don't allow any bigger shot size, and they still have enough punch to take down any bird, other than bigger game such as geese...

It probably would be better to go up to 30g and shot size 6 for game... but the 7.5 is the perfect all rounder

Only disadvantage is that the plastic wadding is often frowned upon on some game shoots or at farmers discression...

hope this helps

And obviously illegal to use on ducks and geese in england anyway.