Food

ostrea

Hi i have an eleven month old ESS had her now for a week, took her to my Vet during the week for a check up she is nice and healthy but the vet said she has never seen so much Tartar build up on such a young bitch.

The trainer i bought her from has been feeding her on Wagg what seems to be the most popular food for working spaniels?

At the moment still feeding her Wagg but also a bone and dental chews.

I've been using Gilbertson and Page -Dr John's Silver for ages the dogs love it. Its VAT free as it is a working dogs formula (gold if you are out most days) and costs about 1/2 the price of Beta Field which the dogs went off for some reason and I never went back to afterwards I mix in a 1.2kg can of meat between the three dogs - nothing left so its got to be right no plaque build up as it is crunchy - I feed dry or for a treat pour gravy leftover on top

Just a thought are you giving her bones or paddywack :unsure: to gnaw on that keeps teeth shiny and clean

Edited by Delbert

Wagg = ****e

Go for Quality feeds, remember price doesn't equal quality though, mine like Vitalin, Dr Johns, Skinners and even some local made complete feed.

Mine are on BARF, and would never turn back, I'm abit of an amateur butcher because of it and hate the smell of tripe early in the morning, but dogs look well,do well and teeth are like a pups, no build up what so ever.

You can buy a supplement called 'Plaque Off' that keeps dogs teeth clear of nasties. It is made out of sea weed and you only need a tiny amount sprinkled in with food every day. My 7 year old ESS has been on it for about three or four years and her teeth are sparkling white despite her eating everything from dog food to kitchen scraps.

Well worth the money as it saves on expensive dental work.

Thank,s everyone. As its a Sunday and no farmer supply store open i had to make do with Pets at home store, Fair play to one of the assistant there first thing she said was that Wagg is **** especially for a 11month old pup, I had run out of Wagg and they only sold 15kg bags so she had a broken bag in the warehouse and sorted enough to mix in with James Wellbeloved junior for weening over the next seven days.

Ill order some 'Plaque Off' supplement tomorrow to give her as well.

Wagg = ****e

Go for Quality feeds, remember price doesn't equal quality though, mine like Vitalin, Dr Johns, Skinners and even some local made complete feed.

Mine are on BARF, and would never turn back, I'm abit of an amateur butcher because of it and hate the smell of tripe early in the morning, but dogs look well,do well and teeth are like a pups, no build up what so ever.

Sweeping statement, I've actually been in where they make Wagg, infact I've been in quite a lot of animal feed establishments, you'd be a little surprised as to see what's actually made where.

Personally I think all kibble food is utter ****, minimal nutrition & plenty of packing. I feed my dogs a raw diet, chicken, lamb, rabbit, fish & tripe, the only cooked food they get is house scraps.