Strange happening just now

kyska

I've just took my hmr and sak mod to the farm to have a play with some shooting sticks I've just bought.

Took the first shot and had the strangest thing happen to me, bullet hit target but then got a really strange whooshing/hissing noise from the barrel end then loads of smoke, lots more than usual, it must of lasted a second maybe longer! :good:

So, being intrepid I carried on and it all seems to be worked fine, any idea of what happened then? Has my moderator given up? It did sound a bit different but no noisier.

had that happen on me,fired at a rabbit,sort of wierd bang and rabbit fell dead but,a fizz and splut after the shot,

left it alone for a while to be on the safe side and then checked it out.

if the rabbit had not been hit,i would have checked the barrel to be totally safe.

seems to be the powder,as the silencer is still the same one and no problems since.maybe a bit of damp powder. :good:

al

Edited by albob

Took the first shot and had the strangest thing happen to me, bullet hit target but then got a really strange whooshing/hissing noise from the barrel end then loads of smoke, lots more than usual, it must of lasted a second maybe longer! :look:

I get this problem quite often when ive used the hmr for quite a few rounds then put it away without cleaning it and then the first shot the next time I use it is exactly the same as you describe. Must of happened about 10-20 times now never bothered me as the accuracy is still the same. I never use anything to cleam ny bore apart from a bore snake so it rules that out. I have a sak mod and its only been cleaned once in around 10,000 rounds so it could be unburnt powder I suppose.

i will say in my case,their was no oil in the barrel or the mod.

al

Mine neither, I'm particular to make sure the pull throughs are clean.

I'll take the mod to pieces, what do i clean the insides with?

Mine neither, I'm particular to make sure the pull throughs are clean.

I'll take the mod to pieces, what do i clean the insides with?

hot water and fairy liquid on my sak mod and towel to dry it.

that is why i put it down to powder dampness.(also gunsmith/shooting buddy,also thought the same)

al

Edited by albob

hot water and fairy liquid on my sak mod and towel to dry it.

that is why i put it down to powder dampness.(also gunsmith/shooting buddy,also thought the same)

al

Thanks al, do I need to do anything else? Additions of oils, wd, dijon mustard etc? or just towel dry and reassemble?

Thanks al, do I need to do anything else? Additions of oils, wd, dijon mustard etc? or just towel dry and reassemble?

bit of oil on the threads only,just dry it well and it will be a bit noiser until a few shots have been through it.

make sure you tighten it up well.

quote>>> the running man.. must have just been a duff round our kid,ide say uve done all you can,so just see if it happens again.

yep,that is all it is and as long as the bullet head leaves the barrel,then less to worry about.

al

ps,save the mustard for the rabbits,they taste better than a mod(no not steve b or cranfield. :lol: :look:)

Edited by albob

Kyska - change of direction. Is that a Malamute?

No, its one of my siberian huskies! They're here, well 4 of them anyway, big grey one in the front, staring forward is the same one in my avatar.

post-19934-1272796112.jpg

Edited by kyska

I've just took my hmr and sak mod to the farm to have a play with some shooting sticks I've just bought.

Took the first shot and had the strangest thing happen to me, bullet hit target but then got a really strange whooshing/hissing noise from the barrel end then loads of smoke, lots more than usual, it must of lasted a second maybe longer! :look:

So, being intrepid I carried on and it all seems to be worked fine, any idea of what happened then? Has my moderator given up? It did sound a bit different but no noisier.

I've had it happen loads of times. The unburned powder in the mod has set alight. It'll not harm you, but I usually use it as a sign to clean the mod.

It'll happen after about 300 shots, if you don't clean the mod.

I've had it happen loads of times. The unburned powder in the mod has set alight. It'll not harm you, but I usually use it as a sign to clean the mod.

It'll happen after about 300 shots, if you don't clean the mod.

mine has not been cleaned after that amount many times since and it has not happened. :look:

al

mine has not been cleaned after that amount many times since and it has not happened. :good:

al

I'd not cleaned mine since it was new, which is a about a 1000 rounds, it was quite spectacular, the mod was so hot you couldn't touch it!

I'd not cleaned mine since it was new, which is a about a 1000 rounds, it was quite spectacular, the mod was so hot you couldn't touch it!

the mod was so hot you couldn't touch it!..was this through firing at say a target for zeroing or individual shots?

was it still accurate with that many rounds through it and what barrel length do you have on your hmr?

i`m on 500 rounds through it at the moment and will consider what hartfordwmj says but,as my barrel is 20 inch,i would expect the powder to be fully burnt,as opposed to say a 16 inch barrel or less.which i would possible expect it to happen.

al

Edited by albob

the mod was so hot you couldn't touch it!..was this through firing at say a target for zeroing or individual shots?

was it still accurate with that many rounds through it and what barrel length do you have on your hmr?

i`m on 500 rounds through it at the moment and will consider what hartfordwmj says but,as my barrel is 20 inch,i would expect the powder to be fully burnt,as opposed to say a 16 inch barrel or less.which i would possible expect it to happen.

al

First shot after cleaning, not sure of barrel length, but quite possibly a 16 inch, I'll measure it.

Al, it went bloody ballistic, like I said, whooshing and smoke pummling out about 10 inches, I quickly took the mag off and just pointed it towards my backstop expecting some explosion.....what a girl.... :good:

It worked fine afterward, in fact I got the best 5 shot group I'd ever shot.

Edited by kyska

First shot after cleaning, not sure of barrel length, but quite possibly a 16 inch, I'll measure it.

Al, it went bloody ballistic, like I said, whooshing and smoke pummling out about 10 inches, I quickly took the mag off and just pointed it towards my backstop expecting some explosion.....what a girl.... :good:

It worked fine afterward, in fact I got the best 5 shot group I'd ever shot.

in that case then,i would say hartfordwmj is correct and as you have the lesser barrel and by your description,yours was way different to mine.

mine was internal and not at the mod end.no flames or bad smoke at the mod.

that is the thing to remember to,if the zero is checked regular and the groupings are not good,then it is time to clean the mod. :good:

that is how i do it.

al

Edited by albob