getting rabbits

I've been into pigeon shooting for a while now but now all the land i shoot on is all rape and no good for pigeons but there is a lot of fallow land that is crawling alive with rabbits and i love rabbit stu.

It seem as soon as i walk near the fallow they all disapear. I've never really done any rabbit shootint apart from the odd one or two that happen to walk in front of my barrel.

Is there a set art to getting a nice bag of rab's for lovely bunny stu.

ferrets or an fac are the best ways. but if say u wanted to out tonight?? i used to go out with my shotgun and a lamp! u should know the land and where the rabbits are. make sure you wait untill almost dark. walk with the lamp off. when u get to where u know there are a few rabbits-whack on the light and bang. i had a few like that! was great fun. u can catch them right out in the middle of fields. they run strate towards u! brill.

o and i used a lamp like this-

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store...htext>TOURCH

it is easy to hold under the forpiece of your gun.

all the best ad

ferrets or an fac are the best ways. but if say u wanted to out tonight?? i used to go out with my shotgun and a lamp! u should know the land and where the rabbits are. make sure you wait untill almost dark. walk with the lamp off. when u get to where u know there are a few rabbits-whack on the light and bang. i had a few like that! was great fun. u can catch them right out in the middle of fields. they run strate towards u! brill.

o and i used a lamp like this-

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store...htext>TOURCH

it is easy to hold under the forpiece of your gun.

all the best ad

nice one. looks alright to give a go for a cheap way to start. i've ben toying with the idea of ferrets for a while now too. i didn't know if you could sit and wait or it just be just luck

nice one. looks alright to give a go for a cheap way to start. i've ben toying with the idea of ferrets for a while now too. i didn't know if you could sit and wait or it just be just luck

In my experience, ferrets are a great way to bag a few rabbits. However, they come with all the usual 'pet keeping' duties and in the field, can often leave you waiting for ages for them to surface. You'll also need land that is reasonably maintained; i.e. clear of bramble/weeds/grass to enable you to see the holes and get clear, safe shots at any bolting bunnies. That said, it is fantastic sport. Long nets and purse nets are also great with ferrets and ensure clean kills; perfect for your stew!

Again, in my experience, a .22 rimfire fitted with a moderator and a good old red lamp are by far the most efficient tools for rabbit hunting, whilst a shotgun just tends to clear the field after the first shot.

SS

In my experience, ferrets are a great way to bag a few rabbits. However, they come with all the usual 'pet keeping' duties and in the field, can often leave you waiting for ages for them to surface. You'll also need land that is reasonably maintained; i.e. clear of bramble/weeds/grass to enable you to see the holes and get clear, safe shots at any bolting bunnies. That said, it is fantastic sport. Long nets and purse nets are also great with ferrets and ensure clean kills; perfect for your stew!

Again, in my experience, a .22 rimfire fitted with a moderator and a good old red lamp are by far the most efficient tools for rabbit hunting, whilst a shotgun just tends to clear the field after the first shot.

SS

oh yeah you are right. letting a 12 bore off is like having a firework display on the feild your shooting.

i went out with a mates ai rifle wednesday and couldn't belive my eyes after killing a rabbit out right at 60yards while the rest of the rabbits looked around like nothing had happened and then stone cold killed another with the second shot. Fair enough the air rifle was running 45ft pound but bloody hell being a shot gun shooter its opened my eyes and i want one... on FAC of corse ;):good::yes:

• 4 weeks later...
I've been into pigeon shooting for a while now but now all the land i shoot on is all rape and no good for pigeons but there is a lot of fallow land that is crawling alive with rabbits and i love rabbit stu.

It seem as soon as i walk near the fallow they all disapear. I've never really done any rabbit shootint apart from the odd one or two that happen to walk in front of my barrel.

Is there a set art to getting a nice bag of rab's for lovely bunny stu.

you need to have good knowledge of where they are. then if you are stalking make sure you have the wind in your face and the bunnies infront as this makes it a lot harder for them to pick up on your scent and give you away. then stay low and keep covered if you can by using hedges and stuff. on the approach take all the time in the world to slowly creep or crawl towards them carefully watching for their heads poppin up and ears twitching if this happens then they are beggining to get spooked so stop and stay deadly still till 5secs or so after they started to feed again then when they are in range fill them with lead

Edited by nicelydoesit