which calibre should i go for

Guest topshot_2k

Guest topshot_2k

Got my renewal forms, currently allowed a .223 for foxing but would like a rifle for mainly fox but option of deer shooting on our farm so would i be better losing the .223 and having a .243?

Is the .243 considered acceptable as a main foxing tool? or do they prfer to have a smaller .22 for fox and the .243 for deer only?

any advice welcome :blink:

Edited by topshot_2k

Download the Home Office guidelines that the Police are "meant" to follow.

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered suitable for the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or 6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally too low-powered to be used against fox except at short range, but may reasonably be permitted for use against such quarry in certain circumstances. However, sole use against fox would not normally be sufficient “good reason” to acquire such a rifle (see paragraph 13.15). Combination shot gun/rifles should have the rifled barrel in a similar calibre. Expanding ammunition should be authorised for shooting foxes. Those involved in shooting foxes will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds and acquire 200 at any given time, but consideration should though be given to each shooter’s individual circumstances, particularly where re-loaders are acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.14 on allowing applicant’s flexibility to reasonably shoot other species on named land.

13.29 Suitable calibres for shooting deer range from .243 to .45-70. For the larger species of deer (Red, Sika and Fallow) .243 calibre is, but .270 and larger calibres are generally more suitable allowing a 130-150 grain bullet weight, a muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second and a muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds. For the smaller deer species (Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer) .243 calibres are optimal. See paragraph 13.32 for information about legislative requirements for the shooting of deer in Scotland, which are based on the performance of the ammunition not the calibre of the rifle.

Download the Home Office guidelines that the Police are "meant" to follow.

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered suitable for the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or 6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally too low-powered to be used against fox except at short range, but may reasonably be permitted for use against such quarry in certain circumstances. However, sole use against fox would not normally be sufficient “good reason” to acquire such a rifle (see paragraph 13.15). Combination shot gun/rifles should have the rifled barrel in a similar calibre. Expanding ammunition should be authorised for shooting foxes. Those involved in shooting foxes will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds and acquire 200 at any given time, but consideration should though be given to each shooter’s individual circumstances, particularly where re-loaders are acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.14 on allowing applicant’s flexibility to reasonably shoot other species on named land.

13.29 Suitable calibres for shooting deer range from .243 to .45-70. For the larger species of deer (Red, Sika and Fallow) .243 calibre is, but .270 and larger calibres are generally more suitable allowing a 130-150 grain bullet weight, a muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second and a muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds. For the smaller deer species (Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer) .243 calibres are optimal. See paragraph 13.32 for information about legislative requirements for the shooting of deer in Scotland, which are based on the performance of the ammunition not the calibre of the rifle.

:blink: :hmm::P:lol:

AND...page 77

Good Reason to Possess a Firearm

.243 Fox ...YES

.243 Deer ... YES

'Meant to follow' indeed, unless the force is in Gloucestershire, they don't like 243 for fox, maybe the county isnt as big as other counties. They dont like 308 either, I tried for a 243 due to windy conditions, they suggested .17hmr ? Think they have been recycling all the drugs from busts for to long.

Might as well add this bit as well

1.6 The Secretary of State and the Scottish Ministers attach great importance to the consistent administration of the Acts, as does the Association of Chief Officers of Police. All forces should seek to comply with the advice and guidance and follow the procedures set out in this document. However, chief officers of police are the ultimate authority responsible for the administration of the legislation in their force area, and it may be necessary to depart from the guidance when each case is assessed on its merits and the circumstances justify such a course of action. In such circumstances, chief officers for the force concerned will need to be able to justify their decision.

If your firearms dept say no, get it in writing from the Chief Constable then seek help from the likes of BASC, the licensing dept are meant to follow these guidelines, not make up their own rules.

Guest topshot_2k
which species of deer frequent the farm, 243 is a very versitile rifle if your firearm dept will grant you the variation.

Muntjac and roe.

I just thought that the .243 with light bullets would be ideal for fox and with the heavier bullet have the option to tackle all the deer species rather than a .223 that limits me to muntjac/fox

Guest topshot_2k
i'm keeping my .223 just for Fox (currently also use it for Muntjac) and getting a 6.5x55 for deer

thing is i wouldnt shoot enough deer to justify a dedicated rifle yet

.243 in my opinion is a varmint round due to the lightish projectiles and the high velocity, so good for foxes OK for deer, for a good all rounder id be thinking .25-06 0r 6.5x55 if i was dedicated deer rifle it would be .270 hevier round, slower less mea damage

if i was dedicated deer rifle it would be .270 hevier round, slower less mea damage

.270 is a very fast round! much faster than a 6.5x55 (although you can tweak it either way if you homeload).

As for a .243 for fox and deer.....its a perfect calibre for both! And i don't even own one (part of the 6.5x55 lot).

No need to download a round for fox and then have a heavier round for deer...just use the larger on for both. No need to change around your zero, and you will always have a round capable for every eventuality when your out on the ground.

just my opinion.

ATB

DD

Guest topshot_2k
No need to download a round for fox and then have a heavier round for deer...just use the larger on for both. No need to change around your zero, and you will always have a round capable for every eventuality when your out on the ground.

just my opinion.

ATB

DD

Whats a good bullet for both fox/muntjac? I Was going to use the 55gr ballistic tips for foxing as have been told these and flat shooting and devastating on fox

Whats a good bullet for both fox/muntjac? I Was going to use the 55gr ballistic tips for foxing as have been told these and flat shooting and devastating on fox

55 grain out of a .243 will be devastating on fox, and muntjac. Munties aren't much bigger than your average charlie after all.

Ballistic tipped ammunition is designed to explode rather than expand, so the bullet breaks up into little bits and causes more terminal damage.

Stick to something like 80 or 90 grain for fox and muntjac. Designed to do the job after all :good:

85gn Sierra Gameking is a perfect allrounder in the .243Win for Fox/Munty/Roe.

If you do decide to go for a different bullet for Fox then I would look at 75gn VMax...bucks the wind better than the 55gn and

is flat enough for any lamping ranges.

You won't have any problems with Northants FEOs geting .243 for fox and deer.