New rifle pic

Down South

Ive, I hear what your saying and fully agree. Both .22LR and .17HMR can produce the desired result in the right hands. Though I havent actually taken any fox this year we have seen many out and the closest call for me so far was actually 15 feet beleive it or not.

If I remember rightly the home office report does actually state that the .17HMR is suitable for for fox under certain circumstances. This I take to mean range and ability. I have also noted that BASC also say the same thing, though I suspect this is due to the home office report.

I would never suggest anyone take a shot simply because they have been told its 'do-able'! Know your rifle, know your ability and stick within the margins. :lol:

If you're ticket says vermin and ground game you are not authorised to shoot foxes with it either

this is very true.

fox is not vermin.

Vermin, look it up in the dictionary; or do the police govern the meaning of works too?

Don't care what it says in the dictionary just trying to help you keep your ticket! Fox is a specific condition not covered under Vermin FACT.

Ive, thanks for that. Before I baught the rifle I was shown its capability by a neighbouring shooter one night. Dog fox at around 100yds, sat facing the gun and below us. 20gr bullet, hit in the chest, exited half way down its back leaving a hole you could stick your thumb in. Certainly hit his off switch.

I WAS ONLY WATCHING!

JRDS, when I was getting clearance for the .17 HMR FEO brought up the subject of using it on foxes. Suspecting a trick question I replyed that I thought it was not suitable but he suggested no further than 80yds. So what am I to assume mate? He knows my ticket is for vermin. Talk about mixed messages.

He knows my ticket is for vermin. Talk about mixed messages.

DS

The one thing all the different Counties have in common is that on a regular and frequent basis they all manage to cock the wording up in the condtions of use section . :lol:

I have returned my license twice now to have the wording ammended :lol: and i bet over 75% of this forum have had to return theirs at some stage.

Fox has got to be stated though even though they are vermin...........Feo's cock things up on a regular basis i'm afraid and are'nt always correct.

Recent eg

I was told by my FEO that under no circumstances could I obtain a open ticket before 5 years ...........After 4 years i'm now in possession of an open ticket :lol:

You can always keep quite though but i somehow think it'll upset the enjoyment of Fox Shooting.

Ive

I was told by my FEO that under no circumstances could I obtain a open ticket before 5 years ...........After 4 years i'm now in possession of an open ticket :lol:

MY FEO told me that I could apply for an open licence in 2-3 years, where 3 is the norm. She also added that if I did decide to do my DSC-1 it would probably help to get the open ticket in just 2 years!!

MY FEO told me that I could apply for an open licence in 2-3 years, where 3 is the norm. She also added that if I did decide to do my DSC-1 it would probably help to get the open ticket in just 2 years!!

Axe

My stumbling block was the .223 so if Brighton are saying that DSC 1 might get you open with Full bore after 2 years but does that mean you have to have owned a full bore for 2 years and shot a certain amount of ammo through it first??

Ive

As I am learning this as I go I thought it best not to quiz her about it and just get on with the application. From what I can tell, though having the DSC-1 would be a deciding factor, it would not alone grant an open ticket. So I would imagine that ownership and rounds spent would contribute. Funny though as I am unlikely to get the .243 until I have fulfilled the FAC requirements and acheived DSC-1. Who said catch 22, i'll get that bloody murphy and his law! :lol::lol:

Edited by Axe

Don't worry Stuart, i'll have a mountain of questions when I finally start looking in to it. I'll give you christmas off and a chance to relax before i start hounding you after the hols. You'll wish you never offered.

Actually, I have had a read on the BDS website. Don't really see it being to much of a problem. But then 50 questions from a bank of 300 :lol: whoa, didnt think i'd have to go back to school. But then it might be fun. :lol: