Rifle barrel twist.

Hi all. I'm after a little advice on rifle twist. I'm not completely in the dark and i know the basics about rate of twist of a bullet per so many inches of barrel needed to keep the bullet on the straight n narrow so to speak. But there a various rates of twists out there. And thats where you lot come into it. Can you give me any feed back on the various guns you you use with ceratin rates of twist. And if possible what ammo is best for the rate of twist in the barrel. It wont be long when my variations comes back, and i'l be off down to pick my first center fire up. I would like to be seen as knowing a little knowledge about the issue, then to be seen as a total novice and basically being sold a gun with the wrong ammo which aint going to be any good for it. I Know the smaller the bullet the less twist it needs an vice versa for the longer bullets. But i would be gratefull if any of you could enlighten me a bit more. By the way its a .223 i'l be going for.

ATB

Gareth

Edited by deputy dog

most .223 will come in 1 in 8 or 1 in 12.

I like the 1 in 12 as it shoots the 40 grainers fantastically and gives a nice flat trajectory. Only trouble is youre pretty much limited up to 55 grainers unless your rifle turns out not to be fussy on what it shoots. The 1 in 8 is better suited to the heavier bullets as a rule of thumb but as has been mentioned, you may get lucky and find your 1 in 8 will shoot lighter bullets as well.

The 40 grainers suit me down to the ground, and if If i want a heavier bullet for when its blowing a hoolie, il switch to 55's as they shoot well also.

In VERY simple terms the twist rate stabilizes the bullet. The tighter the twist the heavier the bullet and the longer the twist the lighter the bullet.

Now, that is the theory, but for some reason unknown to me, my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .223 with a 1-8 twist seems pretty much at home with everything from 40-75g. :hmm::hmm:

Thanks all for your posts. There is a nice bit of info for me to digest and store in my vault. Been looking at the Tika T3 synthetic lite combo from Sportsman Guncentre in Newport. Comes with CARL ZIESS duralyt scope on the top an other bits n bobs, all for just over £1500. But i'm not heart set on any thing as yet. Going to have a look around an feel a few first. I'l let you all know how i got on when i purchase my new toy lol. Thanks all again.

ATB

Gareth

Edited by deputy dog

:hmm: have a good look around, bet you end up with a tikka :hmm:

Iv looked at nealy all the tikka guns from the Hunter wood to the sythetic variants. They all look really nice. I have a CZ in .17. But when i get my first center fire which hopefully will be in the nest few weeks. Waiting for my variations to come back. I want to up grade to a gun that is better quality an will hold its money better if i decide to sell it. I most prob end up with one of the Tikka combo's i'v seen. But which one i'l have i just cant decide yet. Have a feel of a few like. But Knowing me i'l have some thing completey different lol.

with .223's you can stand a chance of getting a decent one secondhand. I picked up a remi 700 sps with a few things done to it with mod and mounts for £650 seems to shoot most bullet weights well and now with reloading is a very accurate gun. The plus point with them is you can get a huge range of custom parts for them

with .223's you can stand a chance of getting a decent one secondhand. I picked up a remi 700 sps with a few things done to it with mod and mounts for £650 seems to shoot most bullet weights well and now with reloading is a very accurate gun. The plus point with them is you can get a huge range of custom parts for them

Thats what i thought al4x. Like said i have got about £1100 but could push it a push it a bit further.. But reading different posts on here Tikka's seem to be one of the more favourable guns to buy. If i can pick a decent second hand gun on this forum it would be a bonus and cash saving. But i dont realy know what to look for like hidden damages or barrel ware. How can you tell a real badly worn barrel.

Thats what i thought al4x. Like said i have got about £1100 but could push it a push it a bit further.. But reading different posts on here Tikka's seem to be one of the more favourable guns to buy. If i can pick a decent second hand gun on this forum it would be a bonus and cash saving. But i dont realy know what to look for like hidden damages or barrel ware. How can you tell a real badly worn barrel.

I bought mine from a small dealer who seemed knowledgeable and it was an unmarked gun so I took his opinion it was little used and so far no complaints. After all you can soon spend your budget if you stick a decent scope on it and buy some reloading gear. .223's tend to suffer barrel wear less than most centrefires so you do have a bit more leeway on buying them. Obviously some people sell them on if they can't get them to shoot properly so you do take a bit of a chance but the thing is as you've paid less you could then sell on and not loose.

I bought mine from a small dealer who seemed knowledgeable and it was an unmarked gun so I took his opinion it was little used and so far no complaints. After all you can soon spend your budget if you stick a decent scope on it and buy some reloading gear. .223's tend to suffer barrel wear less than most centrefires so you do have a bit more leeway on buying them. Obviously some people sell them on if they can't get them to shoot properly so you do take a bit of a chance but the thing is as you've paid less you could then sell on and not loose.

The scope by the looks of things, is the most important. So if i can get a decent second hand gun for the right amount. I will most prob go a little further on a decent scope. Its a bit of a learning curve for me and a bit of head work. But i'm sure that i'l be ok witha bit of help from you and other good forum memebers who take their time to post advice an knowledge. Can't wait now though lol.

The scope by the looks of things, is the most important. So if i can get a decent second hand gun for the right amount. I will most prob go a little further on a decent scope. Its a bit of a learning curve for me and a bit of head work. But i'm sure that i'l be ok witha bit of help from you and other good forum memebers who take their time to post advice an knowledge. Can't wait now though lol.

I was in the same boat a few weeks back, which gun, what scope and so on. Now im set up with a schmidt & bender 8x56 scope, t3 rifle 1:8t and havent looked back, the clarity and quality off the scope glass is top notch. Just purchased all my relaoding gear and will soon start loading to save a few bucks. Need a couple more minor items like a .223 rcbs hand primer shell holder, IF ANYONE HAS 1 LOL. Anyway im sure whatever choice you make will be the right 1.

I was in the same boat a few weeks back, which gun, what scope and so on. Now im set up with a schmidt & bender 8x56 scope, t3 rifle 1:8t and havent looked back, the clarity and quality off the scope glass is top notch. Just purchased all my relaoding gear and will soon start loading to save a few bucks. Need a couple more minor items like a .223 rcbs hand primer shell holder, IF ANYONE HAS 1 LOL. Anyway im sure whatever choice you make will be the right 1.

[/quo I

Mayfly, i basically know what gun i'm going to buy. But the scope i'm not to sure about. There is plenty of quality glass out there, but its so hard to choose. My local dealer is doing Tikka 3 combos with Carl Ziess Duralyt 3.5-12x50 scope to sit on top and silencer for £1599. I dont mind fixed mag scopes, but much prefer one's with a zoom on. For the longer range shots. But as i have mentioned. If i can get a decent second hand rifle for a good price. Then i can put the scope of my choice on top. As for loading gear, my best mate an shooting buddy has the complete workings. And he said all i got to buy is the bullet makings and we'll do the reloading up his house. We been doing it for years any way for his .223. But i suppose in time i'l buy my own for my flat. I'l pick bits n bobs up over the months and then start out doing my own.

ATB

Gareth