22 lr

camokid

All of what Dekers is saying is right, if I only got the odd bullet whining off I'd have kept mine, but I didn't, it was very common due to the land I shoot on.

Horses for courses, if it works for you I believe the lr is a better round to be using for rabbits than the hmr for many reasons.

I'm still tempted to get another, now I've more confidence as I've only had my FAC for a year or so.

Don't worry too much, get one, shoot it and see how you get on.

I know this is an academic question, but how far do we think a riqochet will travel, say from a gun, on a bipod?

I have never suggested .22lr does not ricochet and I totally accept that it does...SOMETIMES. The fact is all I ever seem to hear is it is dangerous, it's about safe practice, and it isn't a major problem anyway, if it was, the .22lr would not be so popular and the Government/police would have been more than happy to ban it.

Help me with a single incident of a Horse being killed by a ricochet .22lr?

Where are all the figures to back up the apparent deaths and injuries caused by .22lr ricochets?

Where are all the horse owners campaigning to ban this round as it is so dangerous?

The point I am trying to make is this ricochet business is way over hyped in my book, yes it happens, yes people should be aware of it and yes they should be mindful. It just seems to me there are a lot of horror suggestions, but Facts seem thin on the ground!

Perspective! :hmm:

It worries me some people have guns, i told you of two fatalities with .22 lr when you asked yet you still make light of it Dekers! If there was a horse shot you can bet most would pay out vast sums to the owner rather than loose thier fac etc. and publicise the incident. Most of us have heard of such instances occuring, some of the tales we hear must be true

The question of how far a ricochet will go fired from a bipod is again "up to" the maximum range of the gun. Many say fire a gun level off a bipod and they will all be in the dirt by 400yds - BUT this totally ignoors the ricochet which by it's very nature is unpredicable in angle of departure.

Anyone who makes light of ricochets is at best irresponsible and at worst partly responsible for the advice they give out to other NOVICES that could well lead to accidents maybee very serious ones!. I once read that about half a dozen people a year die through falling putting thier socks on as you mention other freaky accidents but is it then ok to recomend that its fine to put your socks on stood up at the top of a flight of stairs to all and sundry- I think not get real

We cannot remove risk and this certainly refers to the .22 lr and ricochet but WE MUST manage that risk responsibly

It worries me some people have guns, i told you of two fatalities with .22 lr when you asked yet you still make light of it Dekers! If there was a horse shot you can bet most would pay out vast sums to the owner rather than loose thier fac etc. and publicise the incident. Most of us have heard of such instances occuring, some of the tales we hear must be true

The question of how far a ricochet will go fired from a bipod is again "up to" the maximum range of the gun. Many say fire a gun level off a bipod and they will all be in the dirt by 400yds - BUT this totally ignoors the ricochet which by it's very nature is unpredicable in angle of departure.

Anyone who makes light of ricochets is at best irresponsible and at worst partly responsible for the advice they give out to other NOVICES that could well lead to accidents maybee very serious ones!. I once read that about half a dozen people a year die through falling putting thier socks on as you mention other freaky accidents but is it then ok to recomend that its fine to put your socks on stood up at the top of a flight of stairs to all and sundry- I think not get real

We cannot remove risk and this certainly refers to the .22 lr and ricochet but WE MUST manage that risk responsibly

I'm not making light of anything, try reading my posts, some facts would be appreciated and put in perspective, not what you think or can't quite remember or tales you heard down the pub you think must be true!! :hmm:

Edited by Dekers

I'm not making light of anything, try reading my posts, some facts would be appreciated and put in perspective, not what you think or can't quite remember or tales you think must be true!! :hmm:

The instance of the Guy shot through the eye and killed from a ricochet from a .22 lr is fact. The kid shot and killed out walking by a Golf course was fact again .22 LR as nobody was caught for this as it is thought the guy responsible was out poaching rabbits, perhaps if or when the culprit is taken we will have answers as to exactly why but other than a negligent discharge its hard to think of how else it might have happened. These are just two widely publisised instances that i know of and can easily recal as fact in the UK. Man you don't give up do you :hmm:

Did you hear of the guy who shot his mate dead climing a fence with a loaded shotgun with the sling tied round his trigger gaurd that my old FEO was investigating at the time of his last visit or the Stalker that was shot through his stomach and chest by a belgian client during a crawl in, how about the Badger watcher that got hit in the chest by a guy with a .223 thinking his night vision gear was a foxes eyes reflecting? these are also facts but as far as you are conserned if you don't know it and i cannot give presice details and names they didn't happen hey? :hmm:

The instance of the Guy shot through the eye and killed from a ricochet from a .22 lr is fact. The kid shot and killed out walking by a Golf course was fact again .22 LR as nobody was caught for this as it is thought the guy responsible was out poaching rabbits, perhaps if or when the culprit is taken we will have answers as to exactly why but other than a negligent discharge its hard to think of how else it might have happened. These are just two widely publisised instances that i know of and can easily recal as fact in the UK. Man you don't give up do you ???

Did you hear of the guy who shot his mate dead climing a fence with a loaded shotgun with the sling tied round his trigger gaurd that my old FEO was investigating at the time of his last visit or the Stalker that was shot through his stomach and chest by a belgian client during a crawl in, how about the Badger watcher that got hit in the chest by a guy with a .223 thinking his night vision gear was a foxes eyes reflecting? these are also facts but as far as you are conserned if you don't know it and i cannot give presice details and names they didn't happen hey? ???

ONE instance of a ricochet, you think! ??????

And you fail to comprehend..please explain to everyone here what shotguns and .223 and pub talk and people Shot, has got to do with .22lr ricochets ...Perspective, why do you insist on suggesting .22lr it is so bad, it patently obviously isn't...

Any chance you could try reading.......start here......

I have never suggested .22lr does not ricochet and I totally accept that it does...SOMETIMES. The fact is all I ever seem to hear is it is dangerous, it's about safe practice, and it isn't a major problem anyway, if it was, the .22lr would not be so popular and the Government/police would have been more than happy to ban it.

Help me with a single incident of a Horse being killed by a ricochet .22lr?

Where are all the figures to back up the apparent deaths and injuries caused by .22lr ricochets?

Where are all the horse owners campaigning to ban this round as it is so dangerous?

The point I am trying to make is this ricochet business is way over hyped in my book, yes it happens, yes people should be aware of it and yes they should be mindful. It just seems to me there are a lot of horror suggestions, but Facts seem thin on the ground!

Perspective!

Edited by Dekers

I believe Dekers to be right. On many occassions I've fired hundreds of rounds at steel plates straight on and even at a slight angle with the .22lr. The only ricochets were those that hit the side of the steel plates, and they were more like deflections that landed a very short distance behind the target in the dust. Without evidence to back up the claims made, there is no arguement.

Back on topic, if you are considering a .22lr mainly because of the noise it produces, (or doesn't), check out youtube. There are some very good videos on there of people comparing the noise of .22lr shots with and without suppressors on their weapons ???

I believe Dekers to be right. On many occassions I've fired hundreds of rounds at steel plates straight on and even at a slight angle with the .22lr. The only ricochets were those that hit the side of the steel plates, and they were more like deflections that landed a very short distance behind the target in the dust. Without evidence to back up the claims made, there is no arguement.

Back on topic, if you are considering a .22lr mainly because of the noise it produces, (or doesn't), check out youtube. There are some very good videos on there of people comparing the noise of .22lr shots with and without suppressors on their weapons ???

Shooting steel plates on a range is nothing like out hunting, i have never had a ricochet on a range either. I am not decrying the .22LR i wa using mine about 1/2 hr ago on some bunnies around the garden (please dont tell me thats unsafe its a blooming big garden with the nearest neighbour over half a mile away) as it was although i saw a few no clean and safe shot presented itself this morning but it is an almost everyday tool for me, not a wednesday evening down at the range thing or once in a blue moon. Anyone who does not respect the fact that this round is very prone to ricochet and actually uses it regulary in the field is an accident waiting to happen. My last word on the subject now it is pointless discussing such with those who are not actually out there in the fields using it on a regular basis. Talk like this to most experianced FEO's and your ticket will simply be removed if you have one

Anyone who does not respect the fact that this round is very prone to ricochet and actually uses it regularly in the field is an accident waiting to happen. My last word on the subject now as it is pointless discussing such with those who are not actually out there in the fields using it on a regular basis. Talk like this to most experianced FEO's and your ticket will simply be removed if you have one

I think you're misinterpreting Deker's post, I respect both of you and have gained a lot of useful tips from both of you and it seems to me that you are both in agreement. The .22LR is prone to ricochet, the HMR less so. This doesn't mean that every round from an LR will and no round from an HMR will.

I think Dekers felt your post was a little alarmist but maybe accidents have happened, I don't know of any incidents resulting in death from a ricochet (whether animal or human) so I can't comment on that. I just remain mindful of the possibilty when using the LR.