how to keep ferrets?

rascal_2005

Same as what every one else said, its best to have a big hutch as good workers idealy should be kept fit so i recomend hutches with plenty of room with different levels or with runs bennif you can put tubes in for them to run through.

Make sure you keep them is a cool shadey area and dont use chicken wire if you making a hutch as they can chew it also id say put some decent locks on it.

Id use wood shaveings and shredded paper as good cheap bedding and litter.

Give them as much handleing and interaction as possable as what you put it is what you get out keep them clean and healthy.

Keep some flea and tick spray on hand as they pick up a few after ferreting trips.

Feed them eigher raw meat or dry ferret/cat biscuits.

Same as what every one else said, its best to have a big hutch as good workers idealy should be kept fit so i recomend hutches with plenty of room with different levels or with runs bennif you can put tubes in for them to run through.

Make sure you keep them is a cool shadey area and dont use chicken wire if you making a hutch as they can chew it also id say put some decent locks on it.

Id use wood shaveings and shredded paper as good cheap bedding and litter.

Give them as much handleing and interaction as possable as what you put it is what you get out keep them clean and healthy.

Keep some flea and tick spray on hand as they pick up a few after ferreting trips.

Feed them eigher raw meat or dry ferret/cat biscuits.

i have to agree

i keep mine in a 6 x 4 foot cage with 3 levels keeps them nice and fit also helps stop them getting bord

How are they with young (3 and 5) kids?

I appreciate that they will probably 'nip' now and again, but are we talking about finger tips etc.?

I know zero about them, but stupidly opened another thread on here, where there are about 8 young ones looking for homes, in front of my 5 year old

Its unuseal for them to draw blood there are loads of myths that give them bad press.

If you get some kitts they will nip at first (all kits do) but with loads of handleing they will soon grow out of it.

Of course its not adviseable to let children unsupervised near them or to poke fingers through wire.

You might be best starting with 2 male (hob) brother ferret kits as they are slightly easyer to start with than the jills (females) as they go in season in spring and summer and need taking out of season or they can get infections and sometimes can die from this.

http://www.britishferretclub.org.uk/

This should help you out.