A different slant on stopping smoking

GW80

Hi all, i have been of the smokes for donkey's now, with out much cravens to, but this morning i would gladly kill for a benson & hedges!! any other quitters feel that this ??

Yep done all of that, stopped35yrs ago still hanker after a smoke but I am afraid if I did I could easily start again. :good:

Guest gloker

I honestly dont think the craving ever leaves properly. I stopped in 1999 and sometimes i could eat a cig sandwich! Even worse if im drunk. Trust me. The benefits of being a non smoker, far outweigh any craving or 'need'.

I smoked for about 20 years then quit using the Alan Carr method. That was about 8 years ago and apart from once or twice in the early days when I was very er, intoxicated, I've never wanted one. These days I wouldn't have a cigarette if you paid me £50. (Ok for £100 I would, I'm not THAT daft!).

Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did. Now if I could just do the same thing with beer , crisps and pies, I'd probably be quite healthy :good:.

Yep done all of that, stopped35yrs ago still hanker after a smoke but I am afraid if I did I could easily start again. :good:

Same as Stour boy, but I gave up 31 yrs ago - In the early years I occassionally Hankered for a ciggy -but thankfully "Common Sense" Plus the fact my brother needed a larangectomy and my sister died from Big C stopped me from going back on them.

Don't let a weed control your body - its just not worth it.

If you need additional help -Find It! but whatever you do -Don't Kid yourself by trying to manage ciggies-It doesn't work. Hope this helps

Sprocket.

Same as Stour boy, but I gave up 31 yrs ago - In the early years I occassionally Hankered for a ciggy -but thankfully "Common Sense" Plus the fact my brother needed a larangectomy and my sister died from Big C stopped me from going back on them.

Don't let a weed control your body - its just not worth it.

If you need additional help -Find It! but whatever you do -Don't Kid yourself by trying to manage ciggies-It doesn't work. Hope this helps

Sprocket.

This is the sad thing about it, i have saw too many good people die due to this horrible weed. my mum died too young due to smoking and 3 aunties went the same way, an uncle with emphasyma and my fathers is currently going thru it and still smoking!!! This is why i'm probably getting so annoyed about me still wanting to smoke!!!

This is the sad thing about it, i have saw too many good people die due to this horrible weed. my mum died too young due to smoking and 3 aunties went the same way, an uncle with emphasyma and my fathers is currently going thru it and still smoking!!! This is why i'm probably getting so annoyed about me still wanting to smoke!!!

I used to wake up in the middle of the night -Hot/Cold sweats and craving for a ciggy, however the longer you give up the easier it gets. Take one day at a time -Think about wasting all the effort you've already applied - Stay Strong don,t let a liitle bit of Weed beat you -As they say "YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE"

It's nearly 9 months now and yes I still get the occasional craving. Some times you can't imagine how easy it would be to dig my old favourite pipe out and get it smoking again. When I do get these cravings I try to think how my brother must have felt and what he must have thought when the doctor told him that he had lung cancer and they were not sure if it was operable , he tells me it was like having someone holding a loaded shotgun at his head and not knowing if they were going to pull the trigger or not. Thy imagining what that must have felt like and it soon gets rid of the craving!!!!!!!!

You hear so much about Cancer nowadays that it so often just seems to be "just another word" until it is a member of your own family that is diagnosed with it, then you find out just how devestating and hard to handle it can be! My brother had a lung removed and is fine now but it really drove it home for me, we were all so terrified that we were going to lose him!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I think this comment from Bellman says it all - "Just stop it's easy I've done it lot's of times." (I'm guessing/hoping that this comment was made tongue in cheek, I certainly hope so) :good: :blink: :blink:

Edited by Frenchieboy

Hi all, i have been of the smokes for donkey's now, with out much cravens to, but this morning i would gladly kill for a benson & hedges!! any other quitters feel that this ??

Slight high-jack here, but GW did mention B&H. The new packets are ****. E-mailed them saying they were "an unmitigated disaster" so could they send me a nice silver cigarette case. Although they acknowledged my mail, I'm still waiting for the case!!!

Cheers, cough.

Right, so I've smoked twenty a day (or more) for 40 years. I NEED to stop, what's the options?

Come on men, help me here :good:

If you are really serious about wanting to stop go to your doctor and ask him to refer you to the stop smoking clinic. They will tell you all of the options and discuss what is the best one for you.

The first and most important thing to remember is the "YOU MUST WANT TO QUIT"!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Took a long hard look at what I got from smoking.... bit of a buzz.... accompanied with short of breath, clothes, car, and house all stank, mouth like an ashtray all day, always skint.... doesn't balance, ... chucked the habit 27 years ago. I'll do a cigar every two or three years or so, but can take it or leave it now. Think about it... do you actually enjoy smoking once you get past the hit, do you actually like the smell on your hands, clothes or breath. Seeing any amount of people with related diseases wont stop most, unless you are already at the stage of realising that you don't really enjoy all the downsides, ......you have to teach yourself to dislike it. Every time you take a crafty drag, focus on how vile you feel afterwards and how disapointed you are with yourself, build on this, eventually you will be able to get this feeling and actually avoid taking that drag, then focus on how good you feel about yourself. At this point you are well on the way but it's a long road!!!

Mind control..... maybe........ a load of old tosh...... probably......but it worked for me and if it works for just one of you then it was worth me spending all the time typing this.

Good luck

Took a long hard look at what I got from smoking.... bit of a buzz.... accompanied with short of breath, clothes, car, and house all stank, mouth like an ashtray all day, always skint.... doesn't balance, ... chucked the habit 27 years ago. I'll do a cigar every two or three years or so, but can take it or leave it now. Think about it... do you actually enjoy smoking once you get past the hit, do you actually like the smell on your hands, clothes or breath. Seeing any amount of people with related diseases wont stop most, unless you are already at the stage of realising that you don't really enjoy all the downsides, ......you have to teach yourself to dislike it. Every time you take a crafty drag, focus on how vile you feel afterwards and how disapointed you are with yourself, build on this, eventually you will be able to get this feeling and actually avoid taking that drag, then focus on how good you feel about yourself. At this point you are well on the way but it's a long road!!!

Mind control..... maybe........ a load of old tosh...... probably......but it worked for me and if it works for just one of you then it was worth me spending all the time typing this.

Good luck

Actually I'm a big believer in that sort of thing, I don't think folk realise how powerful the mind can be. It's just focusing it that's the hard part. :good:

If you are really serious about wanting to stop go to your doctor and ask him to refer you to the stop smoking clinic. They will tell you all of the options and discuss what is the best one for you.

The first and most important thing to remember is the "YOU MUST WANT TO QUIT"!

Thats exactly what I did 66 days ago and havent had another one .The smell of smoke even annoys me now !!

After 40 years, I will never smoke again ! :good: :blink: :blink: :good:

Guest gloker

Hi, the options are will power. (doesnt work) hypnotherapy (some people swear by this and is very effective for some) and nrt (nicotine replacement therapy) basically patches, gum, lozenges and mimic cigarettes. These are all available over the counter but can be free through nhs quit. Go to your gp and tell him you want to stop smoking and he has to help you. He may even give you a script for patches there and then. If it wasnt for smokers i wouldnt be as busy going to ill people ringing 999 for chest pains and difficulty breathing. I have seen first hand all too often what smoking does to the human body. I hope this helps if you want any more info pm me.

Don't give in to it, ever.

I have been on and off for 17 years - sometimes go months without then end up with a belly full of beer and a mate who's smoking and bingo, packet of fags appears.

The worst bit is finding half a dozen left over fags in the packet in the morning... "oh well, I'll just finish the packet and that will do". I did that in the middle of May and this is the first day off them since.

Strange, weird habit that I hate and love all at the same time. Need to stay off them this time though.

Hi, the options are will power. (doesnt work) hypnotherapy (some people swear by this and is very effective for some) and nrt (nicotine replacement therapy) basically patches, gum, lozenges and mimic cigarettes. These are all available over the counter but can be free through nhs quit. Go to your gp and tell him you want to stop smoking and he has to help you. He may even give you a script for patches there and then. If it wasnt for smokers i wouldnt be as busy going to ill people ringing 999 for chest pains and difficulty breathing. I have seen first hand all too often what smoking does to the human body. I hope this helps if you want any more info pm me.

It's not just me that has no will power then when it comes to smoking. I can be as stubborn as a mule over other things but smoking beats me every time :rolleyes:

I've got to stop, and permanently. :lol: