Any opinions welcome

NorfolkPoacher

looking to add .270 to my ticket, anyone got any hints or opinions, cheers, Dave

Great round, for foxes and deer. Plenty of factory ammo on sale, if you prefer not to reload.

A sound mod is a must, for both the sake of your hearing and shoulder.

i use a 270 for everything and its a fantastic round hard hitting puts them down fast. i reload so i alter my rounds to suit from woodland to deer on the hill but factory rounds are good as well. i mostly stalk roe and fox from 25 to 150 metres no meat damage on the roe i have some dates booked for muntjack in a few weeks time but i cant see it making any difference i use 130 gr for longer shots on fox and when woodland stalking i use 150 interlock slowed down very effective and very accurate both loads come in under half an inch at 100 metres but the 150 rounds wouldnt want to be any longer than 150 metres unless i upped my load i use a mod but even without the mod its not as bad as most people say only the noise hope this helps,wayne

In my limited experience of the .270 (I used a Tikka T3 in Canada) it's one hell of a boomer! Not light recoilling, not by any means mild, but a fantastic round. With a moderator I'm sure it would calm down a lot and as a one gun rifle for everything from large Deer right down to Fox I recon it will handle the job well.

Edited by njc110381

A professional stalker I know, is getting rid of his for another 308..

He says it's far to barky, and the recoil is just plain silly.

So he's getting shot of it!

I did exactly the same! Ran the .270 for two seasons and really didn't like it.

Chipped it in for a .260. Stops the beasts just as well, and doesn't loosen my fillings every time I pull the trigger.....

looking to add .270 to my ticket, anyone got any hints or opinions, cheers, Dave

You will get mixed reaction to this calibre, it most certainly has its uses but it is noisy and unkind to you generally.

You say you are looking to add it, the question really must be.... what for? What requirement do you have that you think a .270 is the tool for?? :good::good:

Mate of mine has a custom .270 which is a pleasure to shoot and having shot this rifle and a much lighter Steyr Mannlicher rifle in the same calibre think carefully about the characteristics of any rifle you consider in this calibre as the lighter SM was a horrible thing to shoot.

You will get mixed reaction to this calibre, it most certainly has its uses but it is noisy and unkind to you generally.

You say you are looking to add it, the question really must be.... what for? What requirement do you have that you think a .270 is the tool for?? :good::blush:

I want an versatlile fox, deer and Boar rifle. Im also adding .308 but just want a .270. My mate has one for sale cheap i thought it worth a try. the balistics look pretty good and ammo is a plenty. cheers for posts.

It is not bad at all to shoot! I just started mine recently and I was expecting mammoth recoil but it's exaggerated. Yet to get her fine tuned so can't tell you how she is in the field,(don't think the deer or foxes will get much chance to complain though :blush:).

Ps im a skinny malinky too so if it kicked I'd know. Just don't pick a really light gun!

It is not bad at all to shoot! I just started mine recently and I was expecting mammoth recoil but it's exaggerated. Yet to get her fine tuned so can't tell you how she is in the field,(don't think the deer or foxes will get much chance to complain though :blush:).

Ps im a skinny malinky too so if it kicked I'd know. Just don't pick a really light gun!

hi not sure if you reload but if you want i have a few tried loads which work well all the best,wayne

Edited by mereside

Lots have been written on here about the mighty .270 . I used one for many years on deer in this country and in north America . Hits hard and kills them clean . My only complaint about the .270 is the noise . Its very barky at first light in woodland . I now use a .308 for deer and find it more versatile for deer and foxes . Dont let any body put you off by saying that it crunches your shoulder when fired ,its no different than a .308 in the recoil department . Anybody who carnt shoot one because of the recoil is a woosie .

Harnser .