I wish I hadn't started - stripping a moderator

Mungler

Okay chaps, a big thank you. I have now identified the mod and after watching the vid and the guidance on here have managed to strip it fully, clean it and it is now drying out. I had a dry run at putting it back together using a long PC / electrical screwdriver and it worked a charm.

Cheers chaps. I'll let you know how the grouping goes - it really was getting like patterning a shot gun.

I don't know how many thousand rounds I put through whilst ignoring the whole cleaning bit but I would estimate a medium size coffee cup of crud - it was full to the top.

P.S.

Baz, you are right about the crown - mods should always be removed before being put back in the cabinet.

i've just swapped to a Country Pursuits mod instead of the SAK i had on my .17 - it's very slightly quieter. very little in it though.

again £30 for an off-ticket new.

I think thats what I had before the whisper. It lasted less than 12 months, non cleanable due to some strange idea of using wadding in the internals. eventually parts of that wadding started dropping down into the path of the bullet sending them off in all directions.

Took it back to the shop I got it from and done a deal on the whisper. I have to say the whisper is a piece of cake to clean and I too clean it regularly, not as often as every 10 but certainly every 50 or so. And the whisper is calibre specific which makes a bit of difference, not a lot but a little.

:lol: Lol Badshot, i dont clean after every ten usually( depends how many bunnies around) lol, there werent many rabbits around where i was last night, could have shot 50 hares but alas...cant do that where i was!!!!

If its ten or 100, its gets cleaned and off the barrel!!! :lol:

kin ell ee I am going to go blind watching your avatar. :lol:

Though it was a bit much every ten :lol:

Have to say mate has dm80 and noise wise there really is nowt in it. Think it is easier to get a whisper though.

And I thought the t8 was designed as a throw away mod after so many rounds? Could be wrong though

I'm using a Sirocco Mod on my .17HMR with stainless steel baffles and yes it gets cleaned :lol:

I tried a SAK and cant get a decent group with this moderator on either the 17 hmr or the .22 so I have an un-named second-hand mod on the .22 which was so baked with crud it was mountainous on the baffles :lol: it took me two hours to get it apart and clean it :lol:

I'd read that the Utra was supposed to be the mutts happy sacks for an HMR but will probably just put a SAK on mine when variation comes back, although the comments about crud draining out of the mod are making me think I might go for a 20" instead of the 16" I have the LR in as that's too short to sit in the cabinet properly without the mod on.

And I thought the t8 was designed as a throw away mod after so many rounds? Could be wrong though

i have found a way of cleaning mine, bottle brush and parker hale solvent....then let it dry....off the gun!!!

I'm using a Sirocco Mod on my .17HMR with stainless steel baffles and yes it gets cleaned tongueff.gif

yep, got my scirrocco changed to stainless steel, lasted 50 rounds befroe the baffles were cracked.......good luck"! :lol:

[quote yep, got my scirrocco changed to stainless steel, lasted 50 rounds befroe the baffles were cracked.......good luck"! :lol:

Crikey................. :lol: I've not noticed any cracking and its had several hundred rounds through it. I do clean it, well, probably a little too regularly :lol: but it maintains the accuracy i need and I simply dont get consistant accuracy with the SAK.

Thanks for pointing out another failing of the Sirocco though, I'll keep looking carefully :lol: