I wish I hadn't started - stripping a moderator

Mungler

So, I have an HMR which came with an "un named" metal moderator (on ticket as "make and model unknown").

The rifle started to throw stray rounds and I had been putting off cleaning the mod for ages - mentally I thought that if I told myself it was sealed, and I never unscrewed it, then I in fact would have a sealed and maintenance free sound moderator ;)

So, I unscrew it, and it's solid with crud and the internal constructions is like a series of washers. Well they come spilling out and will they go back in? No.

I guess it's some sort of Parker Hale varient mod and I'll need a rod/tool to put it back together - neither of which I have.

So, if that's how the moderator wants to play it and that's how it has to be to clean it, then it's offski.

And this brings me onto....

What's the best HMR mod? I hear it's the DM80 - if so, where can I get one and can I get one "off ticket" for say an airgun and use it on the HMR.

I cannot face sending the ticket back for a variation etc and going through that grief.

Also, if the moderator on my ticket is "make and model unknown" couldn't that just as well apply to any mod (make and model unknown) - one unknown mods got to be the same as the next unknown mod. I suppose the question is whether the DM80 (if sold as an airgun mod) will cope with and work on an HMR.

Over to the forum brainy massive.....

Cheers all.

I use a Parker Hale moderator on my .22LR. To put the washers back in, I cut the flat bit off an old long screwdriver that had the same diameter and used the rod as a guide.

Regarding other moderator's, I used a SAK on my CZ 17HMR, but have now changed it for a DM80. I don't know if there is any difference, as I've not tried it out for comparison yet.

Could it be an ASE UTRA?

I purchased on many years ago and they have a reputation for being hard to re-assemble.

Have a look at this - it may help:

Ian, that is the one!

EDIT:

Who wants to buy it - unassembled of course :lol:

Edited by Mungler

You don't need to strip/clean mods - oops too late nugget.gif

You are kidding right? ask Mungler how much sludge was in there!!

My dm80 comes off after every shoot, 10 shots is enought to fill it with crud.It then unscrews, into 2 pieces and is left to dry...the **** then brushes off.

Pictures to follow:

Edited by Evil Elvis

Outer casing160342.jpg

WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF CRUD IN THERE BEAR IN MIND THAT WAS LESS THAN 10 ROUNDS....A MIX OF HORNADYS AND REMMINGTONS

I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR AGES YOU MUST CLEAN HMR MODS...

.BUT HEY WHAT DO I KNOW, THE CHAP I WAS SHOOTING WITH LAST NIGHT HAS PUT AT LEAST 2000 THROUGH HIS .....BUT WAIT...LAST NIGHT HE WAS COMPLAINING THAT IT WAS PATTERNNING LIKE A SHOTGUN AND DIDNT HIT A SINGLE RABBIT....NORMALLY HES A DEAD EYE ****.....HMMMMM WONDER WHAT IT MIGHT BE................

Someone bound to say that its more than ten, or that i didnt clean it last time.....or just say im a liar.......

BUT IF YOU DONT CLEAN YOUR MOD, SOONER OR LATER ITS GOING TO GO POP....OR AT LEAST THE SLUDGE WILL ERODE YOUR BARREL CROWN....AND ILL SAY

:Di TOLD YOU SO!!!

Edited by Evil Elvis

looks pretty clean to me

Yes BUT what i was truying to illustrate....thats less than ten rounds....Munglers fired 100s through his parker hale.....magnify that amount!!

\the dm80 will never get so full you have to throw it.and if you clean it every time it wont leak corrosive acidic sludge into your crown and rifling destroying it.

Edited by Evil Elvis

You cant strip a t8 thats why im ordering a dm80 for my cf too.

Why are you derailing an informative thread MR MOD? :lol:

I was trying to inject some common sense :lol:

How about, if you are supposed to strip them and clean them every so often why would they make non strippable mods?

[OK I accept the point rimfires are messy, and non-strippable mods are mainly used on centrefires]

:lol: Im trying to get the point accross that so many people are blase about claening hmr mods that sooner or later someone is going to get hurt....I love my hmr but its a filthy round!!!

I think it should be taken seriously. :lol:

My new centre fire mod will be strippable!!! :lol:

You definitely need a rod of some sort to reassemble that mod, without it its a virtually impossible task. With it it's still a royal pain in the *****.

As an aside I found the Utra way better than the SAK on my HMR, with a noticeable difference in sound reduction. Just a shame it's such a headache to service.

Same on my FAC for HMR, make unknown, although I wrote down it's details on renewal, ah well.

If it an Asa , it's a 4mm rod. The one supplied , imo, is a tad short. It's a bit of a fiddle, takes me about 5 mins to get the stack right. Main thing, is to get the angle right, on the baffles. Once in, tighten screw up, a tap on the table, barrel end down, to settle them in and tighten up again.

Not tried other models, but chuffed to bits with the Asa and clean it only about 4 times a year.

Dave