in search of perch

holly

last thursday i fished a stretch of the river wharfe fishing worm i had 8 cracking bites but failed to bank a fish , one 2lb plus perch wrapped me round a sunken tree one three quarter pounder slipped the hook at the net one hook lost on strike and the rest missed bites so it was not a good day . now the problem thats been constantly on my mind since is i had a brief walk up the bank and spotted a swim i had not noticed before, since then i swear this swim is calling me :yes: i have a week off work so tommorow i am setting off at 3.30am armed with worms (main bait ) red maggots a minnow trap for live bait and a camera hopefully i will add some pictures of some decent perch, if not :good:

Hi Holly

I've always found the art of fishing worm is not to strike with instinct. Fight the urge and delay the strike and it should bring more success.

As for loosing them once connected, did you change the hook after dropping the first 2? Can sometimes get a duffer. What size do you use?

Hi Holly

I've always found the art of fishing worm is not to strike with instinct. Fight the urge and delay the strike and it should bring more success.

As for loosing them once connected, did you change the hook after dropping the first 2? Can sometimes get a duffer. What size do you use?

hi yep hook changed twice (kamasan micro barb) started with 16 dropped to a 12 i have also reloaded with new 4lb line just to be on the safe side just about to set off with a new bait added to my list i got a packet of shell on prawns so will give them a go supposed to be a good bait for perch :angry:

I find you really don't have to use small spinners for perch. Even the little guys can open their mouths ever so wide, the only problem that occurs is when they wrap their lips around the whole treble making it a bit harder to remove.

The best perch (3lb 12oz) I ever got was on a large Mepps, with a white body, a silver blade and red tassle on the treble. I do use a wire trace as I am always in the vicinity of pike.

I fish lures far more than any other method, and on the Thames I get perch, chub, pike and zander.

As for bait fishing for perch, I agree red maggots in the feeder and worm on the hook is deadly, as is a livebait but then pike can be a problem. Freelining slugs has got me my PB chub as well. :angry:

well the day wasnt too bad started of getting bites straight away from small stuff turned out to be mainly tommy ruffe ad about a dozen on a size 14 with worm (which was twice as big as the ruffe) after about an hour the perch showed ad 3 small ones then the larger ones moved in and finished with 8 in total i left my rod out when taking photos thats when old slimey appeared i noticed my rod bouncing like a spring board . the next assault on this water will be with my spinning gear everywhere you looked in the river the fry were leaping about like mad obviously being chased .its certainly a nice stretch

post-14152-1279030341.jpg

post-14152-1279030352.jpg

post-14152-1279030362.jpg

post-14152-1279030370.jpg