Advice on working your notice period – new job

V8landy

How many more days holiday are you entitled to? If you are owed a few days more either make sure you are paid for them or take them to finish earlier.

The earlest I would want to leave end August, if I left then I would loose out on 4 or 5 days pay (due having used hoiliday at start of year)

By leaving end of September i gain 4 days holiday pay, as they said they will pay me for days allready booked of for last 2 weeks August.

New compnay is happy for me to wait until 1st October, so in over all picture 4 weeks in not that long.

Yes never want to go back to old (current place) but now starting to relax about it and wind down.

3 weeks until 2 week holiday, then back for last 3 weeks in September/

I have lots of things to box up still! :yp:

Here's a few things for you to consider ;

Taking you to court for breach of contract is highly un-likely.

The legal cost's hugely out weigh the the risk/salary implications.

Few company's will do it, most will threaten it. (It of course depends on your position.)

Negotiate an earlier release date, if your leaving it's because your not 100% satisfied or engaged with the current employer. clearly as they've offered more money and your still going. This is their issue not yours, don't be held accountable for their shortfalls.

If you were happy you wouldn't have looked else where, your not and you did, so why worry about "burning bridges" or going back, you wouldn't want to.

And they cannot give you a negative reference, no employer can, they can only give impartial factual references.

Contract pressure is a common tactic used by most employers when dealing with leavers.

Your an employee not a prisoner.

Good luck

I agree 100% :yp:

My Mrs was told she must work the full 3 months notice, and the threat of suing for god knows what, OK go ahead, a multi billion £ world wide company suing a blue colar worker for a few hundred £ front page news, i dont think so

No way, 6 weeks was given.

and as you say, if it was that good to have left in the first place you aint going to go back,

Something learnt in my life, never go back- B) always go forward

Did you sign your current contract (the one that provides for the notice period).

If you didn't sign it you can argue that your aren't bound by it, and they in turn can argue that you acquiesced, but you are likely to be on stronger ground given all the circumstances.

If you signed your contract, well, there it is in black and white and you agreed to it - it's the agreed basis upon which both parties contracted and agreed to proceed.

Not many UK companies work to a three month notice period these days, the majority that do are particularly those which are American based but work in the UK. This is engineering industry anyway.

Looking at it in reality, there is very little they can do unless you are at a level where you are on what is known as 'personal contract' which is then only high level mangement.

You postion I have been in many times, basically where company wants you to stay but as in some cases they cant offer any incentive. Obviously not all of us move jobs because of money, but that is the lure most of the time.

I have been caught out though, stayed in a postion after being offered more and then it has never materialized.

I have had three occasions where i have left an outfit to be told you wont return unless you stay......Every time I have a phone call to come back when something else crops up.

Engineering is like a lot of professions in the UK, there ist'nt enough people to meet demand. Its one profession the europeans have'nt got the hang of yet.

Edited by starlight32

• 2 months later...
I agree 100% :oops:

My Mrs was told she must work the full 3 months notice, and the threat of suing for god knows what, OK go ahead, a multi billion £ world wide company suing a blue colar worker for a few hundred £ front page news, i dont think so

I suppose if she'd been made redundant she's have expected the full 3 months notice though?

:lol:

Nial.

If you were happy you wouldn't have looked else where, your not and you did, so why worry about "burning bridges" or going back, you wouldn't want to.

It's not a matter of whether he's happy or not, it's a matter of whether he signed a contract with a 3 month notice period.

And they cannot give you a negative reference, no employer can, they can only give impartial factual references.

Mungler can probably comment with more authority, but I believe that is balearics.

Many jobs are given on the basis of reasonable references, if they report...

"Broke the terms of his contract, did not work notice period"

..it doesn't look good wrt the new employer.

Contract pressure is a common tactic used by most employers when dealing with leavers.

Your an employee not a prisoner.

He's a free man who voluntarily signed the contract.

V8, you made the right decision to work it out.

:oops:

Nial.