Rabbit shooting with Steel shot

Hi All,

Am looking at trying a batch of steel shot cartridges for rabbit shooting but was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them, and if there is a big difference in price and stopping power compared to the lead ones.

Views anyone!!!!!

Guest topshot_2k

As i have said before steel shot will ricochet of stones/hard ground/wood, better off using a 30g #6 lead, if im lamping off the truck i tend to use 34g/36g #5 in the semi auto - better stopping power than any equivelent steel load :yp:

What with this and the topic 2 below this in this forum topic list, the words "fifth column" spring to mind.

Thanks wymberley for keeping a count on the amount of post regarding Steel vs Lead , all I asked was for a bit of simple advice regarding the matter.

Sorry if this bores you but some of us are not as experienced as others when it comes to some subjects in life, if it pleases you I will ask one of the moderators to remove this post immediately.

To those of you that did pay an interest and took the time of day to reply with the answers that I was seeking I thank you very very much.

Edited by ian163

Guest topshot_2k
Thanks for keeping a count on the amount of post regarding Steel vs Lead wymberley, all I asked was for a bit of simple advice regarding the matter.

Sorry if this bores you but some of us are not as experienced as others when it comes to some subjects in life, if it pleases you I will ask one of the moderators to remove this post immediately.

To those of you that did pay an interest and took the time of day to reply with the answers that I was seeking I thank you very very much.

dont worry about it. not like you asked .22lr or .17hmr :yp:

Thanks for keeping a count on the amount of post regarding Steel vs Lead wymberley, all I asked was for a bit of simple advice regarding the matter.

spot on, he only wanted some advice!!

To be fair, all shot will ricochet.

I have had to deal with insurance claims on the BASC policy for ricochets from lead shot bouncing of trees, paths, water and so on, none from steel or any other shot material yet, but that’s not too surprising as the vast majority of shot is lead.

Ricochets are most likely to occur at shallow angles of incidence normally less than 3 degrees. It follows from this that the likelihood of a ricochet happening increases along with increase in range.

However, as shotgun shooting is done at relatively close ranges which limit the chance of ricochets occurring. But if you are using 22, 17hmr or larger think on.

The harder the surface the more shallow the angle of ricochet. The more yielding the surface the greater the angle of ricochet.

The probability of any shotgun shot bouncing directly back and hitting you is very low indeed, never had a case yet where someone standing next to or in line with someone shooting has been hit by shot bouncing back.

Even if they did, I think the residual energy in the deflected pellet would be much lower than it was prior to impact on the rebounding surface.

I have had and have seen cases where someone standing in front of the shooter has been hit by ricochet, but frankly anyone who takes a shot when someone is in front of them is asking for trouble!

In a nut shell, take care regardless of what shot you use!

David

The Prime Minister, 1st April 2012:

"The government has now had time to study the findings of the group investigating the toxicity aspects of the ongoing use of lead shot. We have always said that any replacement must be non toxic, economic and effective. We find that the work of this group was well planned, of the highest scientific standard and that their final report concluded that the use of lead shot should continue.

However, the government are of the opinion that, as steel is patently non toxic, the cost is approximately that of lead and is expected to fall and that an increasing number of sportsmen are voluntarily using steel already albeit with the recognised small reduction in effective range, that the arguement is invalid.

Consequently and to allow for re-tooling and restocking by the manufacturers, the manufacture of lead shot in the UK will cease on 1st September of this year. To permit the stock currently held by retailers to be sold, it will remain legal to sell lead shot cartridges until 31st December of this year. Similarly to permit sportsmen to utilize their existing and future holdings the use will remain legal until 1st April 2013."

Ian, I'm sorry if my answer seemed to have kept you up most of the night. You are quite right in as much as I didn't answer your question. I will do so to the best of my ability. I have not used steel shot for rabbit but have used zinc. Steel has a slightly higher lethal density than zinc so from my experience with the zinc, I would estimate that using steel of an equivalent shot size to the now almost obsolete lead English No. 3 an effective range of some 30+ yards can be expected.

As regards costs, I'm afraid I haven't a clue, again, sorry.

Cheers

Edit: Spelling

Edited by wymberley

As i have said before steel shot will ricochet of stones/hard ground/wood, better off using a 30g #6 lead, if im lamping off the truck i tend to use 34g/36g #5 in the semi auto - better stopping power than any equivelent steel load :good:

Steel will probably kill it, but because its so much harder, there will be a bounce issue perhaps, so lead would be safer, altohugh saying that, lead bounces to, just speak to any .22LR shooter ;)

The other way is, shoot steel when the ground is damp/soft :hmm:

Steve

Have used both lead and steel whilst out lamping rabbits from the back of my 4x4 and can confirm that, yes steel richochets so does lead only difference is you can see the sparks fly with steel,this to me is an advantage as you can see exactly where you are shooting and as i am shooting safely in the middle of no where i am more than happy to continue using steel for rabbits as it does have good range and stopping powers plus i have mini tracers to show me where the shot is going so am constantly getting feed back on my shooting.

I have been using 28g 7 1/2 gamebore whilst my mates using lead beside me and there is no noticable difference in range or stopping power.

Having said all that can i just confirm that i do also use lead for pigeons and am not a convert of lead,until we have to i shall continue to buy lead shot for pigeons and steel for rabbits.

Guest topshot_2k
The Prime Minister, 1st April 2012:

"The government has now had time to study the findings of the group investigating the toxicity aspects of the ongoing use of lead shot. We have always said that any replacement must be non toxic, economic and effective. We find that the work of this group was well planned, of the highest scientific standard and that their final report concluded that the use of lead shot should continue.

However, the government are of the opinion that, as steel is patently non toxic, the cost is approximately that of lead and is expected to fall and that an increasing number of sportsmen are voluntarily using steel already albeit with the recognised small reduction in effective range, that the arguement is invalid.

Consequently and to allow for re-tooling and restocking by the manufacturers, the manufacture of lead shot in the UK will cease on 1st September of this year. To permit the stock currently held by retailers to be sold, it will remain legal to sell lead shot cartridges until 31st December of this year. Similarly to permit sportsmen to utilize their existing and future holdings the use will remain legal until 1st April 2013."

I think by then the government and EU will have more important matters to deal with such as the Economy, EU falling to bits and the middle east :good: