Teeth cleaning

darren m

i,ve just noticed My springer bitch as quite a bit of tartar build up on her teeth , shes only 21 month old .

i feed her on skinners maintance and raw tripe , she as a hide chew or 2 every day.

so why are her teeth looking so bad at this young age :good: .

are there any good products or good cleaning regimes etc i could follow :) .

anyone got any good tips or is a vet visit the only way .

thanks

i cant beleave there so bad being so young ,

any ideas what a vet would charge , does the dog have to be put under to do them .

is there a diy sonic i could try

thanks

The dog would need a general anaesthetic. AFAIK there is no DIY method to get the same result. DO NOT buy a manual scaler - they just scratch the teeth, increase the surface area and make tartar formation more likely and faster!

The cost would vary by practice, by how much needed doing and other factors. You could ring around a few practices in your area?

The dog might have tartar or staining but not actually need a dental yet - <2 years would be very unusual.

Edited by apache

Get your dog on to raw bones not c_r@p hide chews.

My cockers get raw bones at least twice a week (this means they have a bone basically all the time) and their teeth are spotless.

They are on a similar diet to yours so go see your butcher :yes:

Edited by butcherboy

thanks lads -- what type of bones , in the past my other dogs have had the sterilised cow bones , but they just seem to wear the teeth down.

i fancy the raw feeding , but at what quantities per meal , just seems like a more expensive way , but i may be wrong :hmm:

can you still buy that doggy tooth paste :yes: remember seeing it a few years ago

I get a bag of raw bones from the local butcher for a 50p donation in the sooty

charity box so no cost at all and I freeze them up but only give a new one each

once a fortnight, Ive never had a dogs teeth cleaned as the bones do the job :good:

Apache whats your opinion on the raw bone solution?I used to notice a build up on my dogs teeth when i fed a tripe and biscuit diet,proper tripe from a knacker yard that deals mainly with greyhound kennels,i also used to get a big bag of raw bones and it deffinately seemed to keep there teeth clean

Apache whats your opinion on the raw bone solution?I used to notice a build up on my dogs teeth when i fed a tripe and biscuit diet,proper tripe from a knacker yard that deals mainly with greyhound kennels,i also used to get a big bag of raw bones and it deffinately seemed to keep there teeth clean

I'm sure it is good for the dogs teeth, I feed my own dog good quality commercial dog food because of the convenience.

my cocker was the same. at 20 mths he had yellow molars but after i started to give a cows rib every 5-6 days he is back to bright white.

just go to your butcher and ask for small cows bones. i will only let him have it for the day and then bin it.

raw bone from butcher :good:

Phil

would disagee seen dogs fed only tripe and saw a nice tartar build up unless its high in sugar?

BARF needs to include Raw Bones, these will clean the dogs teeth, tripe alone will not remove tartar.

If you want to feed the BARF Diet have a look here http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_faq.shtml

Cheers

Some dogs are more prone to tartar or ear wax and you just have to live with it. As Albert says; buy a tub of 'Plaque Off'. It seems expensive, but it last for ages and really does work. There are also special kibbles that help clean teeth. Having your dog knoocked out for regular teeth cleaning or the cost of operating on diseased gums costs far more than prevention.

BARF needs to include Raw Bones, these will clean the dogs teeth, tripe alone will not remove tartar.

If you want to feed the BARF Diet have a look here http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_faq.shtml

Cheers

My point was that with a mainly tripe diet you get tartar,not that it cleans teeth far from it in my experience

I think the build up from tripe is different to plaque its more like a scale build up we get something similar in the urinals at work and its scale from uric acid apparently,being as tripe is the stomache perhaps its acidic?I know a nice raw bone every so often keeps it at bay.

Do you rub the raw bone on the urinal?