Conspiracy theories - what's the best one

death from below

Like I said, they could tell the difference between a Moon rock and the local granite. Similarly, they could also tell the difference between lunar basalt and a carbonaceous condrite (a type of meteorite). My background was physics, not geochemistry, but even I could figure out the difference before too long.

Science is about understanding how things work, not just classifying things. A geochemist could tell a bit of moon rock, not just from the label stuck on it, but from its properties, and those properties will have been determined by the conditions under which the rock formed and will have been unique to the moon. Those bits of moon rock have been probed, studied,sliced, dissolved, heated, melted etc. by thousands of researchers over the last 40 years. That research has helped scientists to understand how the moon formed and it's 4.5 billion year history. If the moon rock was anything other than what it claims to be, the world's scientists would have figured it out in something more like 40 minutes than 40 years.

Unfortunately of course, I haven't got a bit of moonrock handy, that I can dissect with my home-made Electron Mega Neutron Blasterscope. :good:

I shot a rabbit the other day at 3000 yards with a home made wind powered elastic band Kryptonite catapult. I can't let you see the weapon, it's classified :good:

Edited by Chard

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, they could tell the difference between a Moon rock and the local granite. Similarly, they could also tell the difference between lunar basalt and a carbonaceous condrite (a type of meteorite). My background was physics, not geochemistry, but even I could figure out the difference before too long.

Science is about understanding how things work, not just classifying things. A geochemist could tell a bit of moon rock, not just from the label stuck on it, but from its properties, and those properties will have been determined by the conditions under which the rock formed and will have been unique to the moon. Those bits of moon rock have been probed, studied,sliced, dissolved, heated, melted etc. by thousands of researchers over the last 40 years. That research has helped scientists to understand how the moon formed and it's 4.5 billion year history. If the moon rock was anything other than what it claims to be, the world's scientists would have figured it out in something more like 40 minutes than 40 years.

I've got some Blackpool rock here. I know it's genuine because it has a little label with Blackpool Tower on it.

I've got some Blackpool rock here. I know it's genuine because it has a little label with Blackpool Tower on it.

That doesn't prove anything. It could be a fake from Mars, they're swamping the planet with it. :good:

It would take more than a photo of Blackpool Tower to fool me, I'm not behind the door.

Was the sun shining in the photograph? Yes? See - absurd. Everybody knows the sun doesn't shine at Blackpool :good:

Edited by Chard

I shot a rabbit the other day at 3000 yards with a home made wind powered elastic band Kryptonite catapult. I can't let you see the weapon, it's classified :good:

Sounds great. You should publish your results. Then there will be a copy in the British Library that we can all access freely, just like all scientific publications.

Are you seriously saying that the rock purporting to be from the moon :good: examined by the scientists is totally different from rocks found elsewhere? If so, how can they identify it as moon rock given no control sample :good:

OK, you don't need a control sample. Rock forms in a particular way because of the conditions present when they form. So, when you are looking at a planetary body, you have to look at the mass of the body, which determines gravity and pressure, distance from the sun, bulk composition (which you can get from Earth using spectroscopy and a telescope - even local composition), etc.

One thing that's very good at distinguishing rocks from different planetary bodies the the ratios of various isotopes of the elements, Oxygen being a favourite. An isotope is a different form of an element (say Oxygen) that has a different number of neutrons in the nucleus, and so it is heavier. Isotopes in the early solar system didn't mix evenly, and so different planets have different ratios of isotopes. This is pushing my geochemistry a bit, but I think you can tell the distance from the sun that a planet formed from isotope ratios, so, for example, I think you can tell a bit of rock from Mercury from a bit of Mars from basic physics and isotope ratios.

A lot of geology is like that. You find a bit of limestone and you know it formed in a marine environment, not a volcano. Likewise, you can get a bit of moon rock and after a lot of prodding you'll come up with saying it's from a planetary body, say, about 1737 km in radius, a mass of about 7x10^22 kg, about the same distance from the Sun as the Earth is. Hmmm. Let me see...

I seem to recall that a few people die every year from licking 9v batterys cant remember where i heard it

I once went out with a girl who gave that same tingling feeling when I kissed her. I wont tell you where I was kissing her though, but she could have done with a good wash. I think she came from Norfolk, it was a long time ago.

I once went out with a girl who gave that same tingling feeling when I kissed her. I wont tell you where I was kissing her though, but she could have done with a good wash. I think she came from Norfolk, it was a long time ago.

Not mulbarton Mary was it ?. As young boys we used to form an orderly line .

Harnser .

OK, you don't need a control sample. Rock forms in a particular way because of the conditions present when they form. So, when you are looking at a planetary body, you have to look at the mass of the body, which determines gravity and pressure, distance from the sun, bulk composition (which you can get from Earth using spectroscopy and a telescope - even local composition), etc.

One thing that's very good at distinguishing rocks from different planetary bodies the the ratios of various isotopes of the elements, Oxygen being a favourite. An isotope is a different form of an element (say Oxygen) that has a different number of neutrons in the nucleus, and so it is heavier. Isotopes in the early solar system didn't mix evenly, and so different planets have different ratios of isotopes. This is pushing my geochemistry a bit, but I think you can tell the distance from the sun that a planet formed from isotope ratios, so, for example, I think you can tell a bit of rock from Mercury from a bit of Mars from basic physics and isotope ratios.

A lot of geology is like that. You find a bit of limestone and you know it formed in a marine environment, not a volcano. Likewise, you can get a bit of moon rock and after a lot of prodding you'll come up with saying it's from a planetary body, say, about 1737 km in radius, a mass of about 7x10^22 kg, about the same distance from the Sun as the Earth is. Hmmm. Let me see...

:good::good:

sorry mr hawkings you're wrong its made out of cheese :good:

Leading on from another recent thread (David Ike and the idea that Rauol Moat never existed and it was all a ploy to desensitise the general public to cops carrying guns 24/7 etc etc), what's the best conspiracy theory you've heard of - I still see regular ones claiming that 9/11 was set up by the CIA to continue getting funding for anti terrorism activities to cover their illegal drug smuggling operations that make billions for the American Govn.

Oh, and the biggest, most stupidest one of all that we as a world seem to be falling for - global warming, now that is a nonsense.

We can prove global warming, which is real!!..accelerating, sorry to tell you that, but it is real.

To me as a Christian the Bible isnt a conspiracy, I truly believe it, at the same time people cant prove there is not a God, you only hope so up until the day you die, because then you have nothing to move your life around :good:

For me I dont believe the really crazy ones, but its strange to think just how many might be real?..im not talking big cats or things like that. More like government agency stuff?..Or aliens.

Steve

We can prove global warming, which is real!!..accelerating, sorry to tell you that, but it is real.

To me as a Christian the Bible isnt a conspiracy, I truly believe it, at the same time people cant prove there is not a God, you only hope so up until the day you die, because then you have nothing to move your life around :good:

For me I dont believe the really crazy ones, but its strange to think just how many might be real?..im not talking big cats or things like that. More like government agency stuff?..Or aliens.

Steve

Please, show me one bit of real evidence that global warming exists - you will not be able to I am certain - even the fella from East Anglia University that was given a huge amount of dosh to prove global warming managed to leak the conclusion that it does not exist - we are being asked on a daily occurence to fork out more money to save the planet by scientist led evidence that is in line with natural evolution of the planet - earth is not heating up any quicker than a million years ago and the tech heads can prove it - they are just not encouraged because it means less of an argument to get more money out of us. Global warming is usuually proven to us Mongs by pictures of icebergs falling into the water and dolphins swimming in the english channel - well, that **** has also been going on for the last million years as well. Global warming, my aaaaarrrssseeee

So, every NASA scientist knows the above and so goes round looking for a rock to fit the spec'. Let's face it, if you don't have a control sample it's all guesswork and speculation.

I might not be a genius, but I know enough about photography to know that those photos weren't taken on the moon using a Hassleblad camera with a waist level viewfinder and slide film.