Pictures for Ziplex...................

Evil Elvis

They are all looking good, have to say my saviour with mine has been an e-collar and not really to shock her as she is too intelligent for it, stops her running in as lets face it if pointers do on munties or fox they rarely stop on their own! I found the beep facility is enough to re inforce the whistle and the other perk is it stops me having to go and get her back on walks when she is on point as she will not leave when she knows there is something there otherwise :good: We have a lot of hares about as well which she is fine on now but certainly wasn't, its also non confrontational and reprimanding them never quite seems to work face to face. I've met a fair few people with pointers and most seem to keep dogs on leads round us because there is a lot of game about whereas mine is steady on it reduced my stress levels no end on walks knowing she was in effect on a long lead. I sure am glad I got a smallish bitch though, bumped into a few really seriously big GWP dogs and owners wondering what the hell they were doing with them :hmm:

Baz, of course I know you are only joking - besides even if you weren't I'd be just about as offended as he would be :rolleyes:

It may sound like I'm overstating it, but I'm not, as unthinkable as it is I'm not sure we'd still have ours if it wasn't for the e-collar. It pretty much transformed him overnight. I've not used it for quite a few months now but the wife likes to have it on him when off lead as a back-up.

Probably going to use it at a very low setting (hopefully just the beeper) to try and get his off-lead in-field walking to heel sorted. He's got such a strong drive that when the lead comes off he wants to run around like a loon for a good while and has a tendency to go long (too long - esp. for shotgunning).

Steadiness on winged game is improving but he can't help himself running in initially on a flush before giving up pretty quickly. On fur he's improved more, points and tends to hold it very well and rarely runs in. Limited deer exposure but the tail on a bolting fallow is very hard for him to resist. Working on extended sit stays at present including me way out of sight. I'm going to use hares to steady him up further later in the year - I have permission on a patch that's alive with them (as Baz well knows).

In hindsight I wish we'd got a bitch as a first HPR - he would have been an ideal 2nd or 3rd. The HPR trainer has made it clear that he's wasted on me and could have been pretty special - at least she's stopped asking me to give him to her :good: actually thinking about it she may have stopped talking to me altogether. I wish I had the time to get everything sorted and show her how wrong she is. Some people give an impression they were born knowing everything there is to know about training gun-dogs and don't get why us mere mortals need as much (if not more) training as our dogs :good:

If I drew a picture of my perfect looking dog I can't think of any feature of appearance that I'd not take from a HPR :hmm:

If I drew a picture of my perfect looking dog I can't think of any feature of appearance that I'd not take from a HPR :good:

That was well put :rolleyes: ......just take out the headcase element of 'em and we'd have our ultimate mutt :hmm: I have to say that my Springer has been a doddle to train compared to Bree, in the early days she was such a pain I seriousy thought she had something wrong with her, she drove me absolutely nuts! An experienced owner of GSP's once told me 'shut it in a shed and lock the door, feed it but don't let it out for three years, then start training' :good: , all said tongue in cheek but you can get his drift.

that is one stunning looking dog :good: aswell as using her for hunting you should get her into a couple of shows you would do great, and would add greatly to her pedigree for pups in the future.

it's great to read a thread with real dogs and see the pics, good luck with the training she is a beauty :hmm:

p.s I dont use our dogs for hunting as 2 Dogue de bordeaux's tends to scare the brown stuff out of most quarry :rolleyes:

that is one stunning looking dog good.gif aswell as using her for hunting you should get her into a couple of shows you would do great, and would add greatly to her pedigree for pups in the future.

Thanks. The training lady said that too, the kids took her to a puppy show recently and won 4 rosettes!! If the girls want to do that with her i dont mind......harlie wants to do agility with her, im not sure about that( if the trainer thinks it will help her obedience and concentration then maybe......)...BUT the dancing dog classess AINT happenning!!! :good:

The viszla that won crufts is a full working dog, and up close he has pleanty of small scars....im amazed he won tbh!!!

Edited by Evil Elvis

Oer, our Bree is looking interested :unsure: , he's a fine looking lad........he's not from Birkenwald by any chance? looks very similar in the head to this 'un.
he does have that birken-noggin for sure.. my wee oaf`s birkenwald...beautiful head with errrr... hmmm... unusual workings in there.

post-20426-1280427574.jpg

post-20426-1280427772.jpg

oh n i must add that purdey is bloody gorgeous :hmm:

Edited by hookbones