Pigeon shooting

chunkyed

Are pigeons easy to decoy without a pigeon magnet. Im planning on going out decoy over the stubble and i was wondering if they will see the decoys and come in. I don't yet own a pigeon magnet and i would like to know how you guys have got on with or without one.

Thanks guys

Ed :look:

Edited by chunkyed

Are pigeons easy to decoy without a pigeon magnet. Im planning on going out decoy over the stubble and i was wondering if they will see the decoys and come in.

Thanks guys

Ed :look:

as long as you do your recconisance right and choose a field they are feeding heavy get near the flightline and as close to the place in the field where most of the birds are making it shouldn't really make too much difference :sneaky2:

So they should come in just as well. Thanks :look:

i would say yes as long as you do as suggested in my first post one thing though i tend to not start shooting untill 1.00-2.00 in the summer as starting too early can put them off sometimes especially if you start first thing they could move on, sometimes the best shooting seem to be between 6.00-7.00 this time of year it could be a good idea to use the time in the morning to watch the birds maybe even put them off the field with a shot and see how quick they come back then you will get a clearer idea of where to place your hide as well good luck :sneaky2:

As above; get the location, time and hide right and the pigeons will come. People have shot pigeons in great numbers before magnets were invented.

We have a farmer on our shoot who sees one pigeon and tells us there's a plague of them, and then expects us to drop everything and spend our time and money protecting his crops. Normally there's nothing to shoot so the lads don't bother. Then he says he's going to get another shooter in and; 'He's got a pigeon magnet' to which I replied; "So have I. But if there's as many pigeons on your crops as you say there are he won't need it will he?"

As above; get the location, time and hide right and the pigeons will come. People have shot pigeons in great numbers before magnets were invented.

We have a farmer on our shoot who sees one pigeon and tells us there's a plague of them, and then expects us to drop everything and spend our time and money protecting his crops. Normally there's nothing to shoot so the lads don't bother. Then he says he's going to get another shooter in and; 'He's got a pigeon magnet' to which I replied; "So have I. But if there's as many pigeons on your crops as you say there are he won't need it will he?"

spot on 'UKPoacher' can't agree more ive been shooting pigeons for well over 30 years most of that time without a magnet they may have there advantages in certain circumstances but if you get it right they aren't always needed that's for sure :look:

Magnet's are great early on but im finding at the moment they are a big no no as birds are flaring from them at 300 yards :sneaky2:

If the wind is up bouncers are working with a few decoys .

If all you have is decoys don't worry as said if your in the right place and there feeding they will come in even to lengths of grey gutter :look:

Are pigeons easy to decoy without a pigeon magnet. Im planning on going out decoy over the stubble and i was wondering if they will see the decoys and come in. I don't yet own a pigeon magnet and i would like to know how you guys have got on with or without one.

Thanks guys

Ed :welcomeani:

on a goodflight line you can shoot pigeons without decoys, by standing under a good high hedgerow with a decent canopy, magnets can attract and detract the birds, a properly laid out pattern can attract pigeons and this can be achieved with as few as 6 decoys, flock covered preferred.

Bakerboy, (yes the one that moaned about your employment situation I hope you are getting on well, and getting on top of things).cheers Terry

on a goodflight line you can shoot pigeons without decoys, by standing under a good high hedgerow with a decent canopy, magnets can attract and detract the birds, a properly laid out pattern can attract pigeons and this can be achieved with as few as 6 decoys, flock covered preferred.

Bakerboy, (yes the one that moaned about your employment situation I hope you are getting on well, and getting on top of things).cheers Terry

Thanks mate i'll give it ago.

Its alright we are all Friends here. :welcomeani:

Thanks guys

Ed :welcomeani:

depends on the day and situation;sometimes i wouldn;t be without one;others its best left in the car because no matter what you do with it it won;t work.also i and i;m sure countless others would say the same that we used to make good bags before rotarys came on the scene with statics and a flapper or floater;and take the plastic decoys in and replace them with dead birds as you shoot them;nothing beats a pattern of dead birds.

Thanks guys

Ed :good:

Hello Ed

Today I sat under tree on a flight line that the pigeons on the permission I have , have only recently been using, using the cover of the tree and back drop of the hedge sitting in a little dip with stealth netting in front and tall stinging nettles in front of the netting, a slope rising going away from me, I shot 30+ birds in 2 hours, should have had more, but was daydreaming and catching up after a hard weekend, by the way I did not use any decoys, so all in all feeling quite good in myself. :shoot:

Bakerboy

As has been said, some days they work some they dont.

I always use mine to start off with, if it doesnt seem to work then I add a flapper and/or a bouncer or 2, still no joy then I pack it away :blush:

The last time I used it I only had the magnet out and the birds came in all day without any hesitation at all :/

Good going mate :blink:

Me and SSS went out over the rape stubble the other day for about an hour and shot 5 pigeons. SSS got bored and wanted to go home so we left it. I have just got some more permission today so i have a lot of stubble to shoot over. So im planning on going out over the course of this week and doing some decoying. I shall let you know how i get on :)