Unlucky - Fox cub

Lez325

Went out on the Rape this morning hoping to shoot some Pigeons- it was wet, misty & no wind to speak of, we set up under a large Oak in the centre of a cut rape field- set out the sillosocks and waited- only had 1 bird in the first 2 hours- so decide to try elsewhere, and it had started to drizzle at this point :blush:

we moved across the M5 motorway onto a large permission, hoping to find some action, as we pulled into the side gate- my young apprentice (Charlie 16) spotted 5 Roe deer on a cut Wheat field to our right, as we watched them amble slowly towards a small copse, Charlie noticed something around 160 yards to our left, I pulled the 4x4 round to get a better view, it was a young dog fox half way up a sloping cut Barley field- I reached into ther back of my 4x4 and retrieved my Tikka 222- all the while the young fox was moving away from us at a slow walk - I loaded 3 rounds into the mag and chambered the 1st one ( Fedral V Shok 50 grain soft nose)

Ad I placed the fine duplex cross hairs on the body of the fox I shouted "Hey You" as loud as I could- this stopped the young one in his tracks- I squeezed of a shot and took him down- the round entered his back and exited through his chest - not pretty but very very effective :hmm:

So all in all worth going out me thinks :lol:

heres the obligatory Photos- Les & Tikka M590 with Burris Fullfield 2 scope and ASE Utra S5 mod- Oh and a dead Fox- (excuse the gold Chav Chain its usually out of sight lol )

10082010053.jpg

10082010054.jpg

Les :/

The cubs we have been getting are that size or smaller, I think that the snow put them well back and either the vixens aborted or re-absorbed the litters.

Like I posted on fox count, just starting to see the odd cub and are small, think the same as HD, winter weather has taken a good toll, plus most of my early ones were Vixens. Unlike another local shoot who have dug out 2 litters of 5! Weird?

Well done Les, mate. A small looking cub there, but they soon grow bigger and then the damage starts. Hoping to join you in the not too distant future, once I get my shifts sorted out in work.

Glad you are getting results with the rifle, after all the problems we had getting it zeroed!

Keep up the good work !

Steve.

Well done Les, mate. A small looking cub there, but they soon grow bigger and then the damage starts. Hoping to join you in the not too distant future, once I get my shifts sorted out in work.

Glad you are getting results with the rifle, after all the problems we had getting it zeroed!

Keep up the good work !

Steve.

The zeroing problem Ive put down to using Prvi ammo- Im using Fedral V Shok now and its spot on- 1" high at 100 yards- so I bought 200 rounds to see me through the Summer- well why not??

Yes get on down to Somerset Steve- we'll have a day on the woodies and some Charlie bashing in the evening- been looking at warrener dvds lol

Les :no::good:

Edited by Lez325

The cubs we have been getting are that size or smaller, I think that the snow put them well back and either the vixens aborted or re-absorbed the litters.

weird isn't it, ours actually you're generally hard pressed to tell the difference from adults this is one of the recent "cubs" a pretty good size

40390_478112482785_766677785_6803707_1622254_n.jpg