stick makeing

blackthorn

How about to start it off, one of our more experianced stick making members...rjimmer and Fisherman Mike come to mind.....give us a step by step thread on making a stick. Taking us through from the raw stick to the finished product.

I for one would find this very useful as I am a complete novice. Stick making is not a practiced art over here. I have ideas on how to put it all together, but it would be nice to see it all the way through.

Dont worry LB I promise to ship you stavs soon.

A stick making forum would also be a great place to exchange raw material amongst our selves....sticks, horn, spacers, etc.

Whats every body think?

NTTF

How about to start it off, one of our more experianced stick making members...rjimmer and Fisherman Mike come to mind.....give us a step by step thread on making a stick. Taking us through from the raw stick to the finished product.

I for one would find this very useful as I am a complete novice. Stick making is not a practiced art over here. I have ideas on how to put it all together, but it would be nice to see it all the way through.

Dont worry LB I promise to ship you stavs soon.

A stick making forum would also be a great place to exchange raw material amongst our selves....sticks, horn, spacers, etc.

Whats every body think?

NTTF

:lol: If only I had time NTTF.

I will see what can be done. !

FM.

Hey there new to flock remember I shot with you when you came to England I know how tall you are- you need stump making lessons not stick making! lol

Hi William

Are you stating that NTTF has ducks disease in other words his …… (**** is to close to the floor) :lol::D:/ :( :(

Right Mate Here goes.

You will need some Areldite or similar quick setting epoxy resin, a length of 6mm steel dowel or threaded bar, a good hacksaw, some masking tape, graded sand paper or similar, a flat wood rasp if you have one or better still a detail sander.

Decide on the length of the stick with the head handle attached and cut it off as square as you possibly can with the hack saw. It helps if you run a stanley knife blade around the cut first to stop the bark from chipping or splitting.

Drill the shank for the dowel carefully, I use an oversize bit say 7 or 8 to allow some play in the setting of the handle.

Cut yourself a piece of that Buffalo horn as a spacer between the handle and the shank about 1/2 ins thick, again be as accurate as you can with the saw. The spacer should be slightly larger diameter than the shank and Handle as it is going to be reduced with the rasp.

This should be drilled out also if its solid to match the hole in the shank.

Drill a similar diameter hole in the head.

Remember to cut your jointing dowel about 2 to 3mm less than the total depth of hole in the handle , spacer and shank.. By rule of thumb I use a dowel about 31/2

ins long 11/2 in the shank, 11/2 in the handle and 1/2 spacer.

Before attempting assembly tightly wrap one turn of Masking tape accurately around shank and Handle so that it is flush with the sides mating the spacer,this keeps them clean when the glue splurts out.

Dry assemble the components first and mark the best position on the shank and handle with a pencil, Mix up some epoxy and glue the lot together, wipe away any excess glue and leave to set hard for at least 3 or 4 hours, you can make some minor adjustments just before the epoxy goes off if necessary.

Once set remove the masking tape carefully and pair off any excess glue very carefully with a stanley knife, then wrap the shank and handle again at the joint with masking tape before getting to work on the spacer.

You can reduce the spacer diameter initially with the rasp or file and then various grades of sandpaper or you can be lazy like me and use a detail sander with the shank held in a vice or clamped to a table ( remember to wrap it in a Cloth ) Im lucky enough to have a bobbin sander which takes the hard work out of this part.

Take you time over this and be careful not to damage the shank, when finished the whole assembly should run smoothly together.

When youve done this and you are happy with it you can finish it.

This process is entirely up to you, some people wax some varnish some polish some just leave it alone.

I prefer with hazel shanks like yours to clean the whole lot off with very fine wire wool and some methylated spirit, give it one coat of matt water based polyurethane, rub down again with fine wire wool and then work some bees wax polish and buff up.

Remember to take your time, if you do and you make a good job of your first effort you will have a stick you will never want to part with.

Once you get more proficient and confident you can start on the rams horn crooks and the carving but dont rush it..

Finally make sure you Post up a piccy or two so we can see it.

Hope this helps.

FM.