pics wanted

topmantim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tim,

Top project for the lad to choose!

How about this beast, it is used for bench rest shooting at 1,000 yards in America (where else!) If he needs more info I will try and find the site again.

There was a thread in the picture section a little while ago about users guns there were loads of pics in that one.

Cheers,

Stuart.

1000_yard_heavy_gun.jpg

Stuart

Am I missing something or does no one miss with that set up? Surely a rifle screwed to a bench doesn't take much skill too hit a fixed point? :thumbs:

thats a extreme example of bench rest shooting, where putting the cross hairs in the right place is the easiest bit. its the pulling the trigger, allowing for windage, heat haze, working up an accurate load etc etc.. which the skill is required for.

hello tim here is a pic of my .223 sgc ssr ar15,its a straight pull.either left hand/right hand or t bar,standard 20 round mag,its had a muzzle brake fitted,they tell me its good for 600yds plus but i have not had the chance to test its full ability yet..hope it helps...

post-18-1136579680.jpg

Stuart

Am I missing something or does no one miss with that set up? Surely a rifle screwed to a bench doesn't take much skill too hit a fixed point? :thumbs:

Well they are afunny bunch, but the site I got that from says it prints 1 hole 3 shot groups at 1,000 yards so quite impressive even if it isn't your thing.

Bit like an F1 car really it's at the outer limits of what can be achieved.

small0ft.jpg

weihrauch hw60 j .22lr

CZ 452 varmint .22lr

Anschutz of some kind. .22mag

Brno (early model 4.... something or other, cant remember model number) .22 hornet

Sako 75 I .222

Mauser M66 .243

Sako 75 III 6.5x55

i can get better pics if any of these are any use to you (its a good excuse to get the guns out and play with them :thumbs: )

its lovely mate, we havent had it from new, probably about 3 years now, but it has been in storage for the last 20+ years.

when we got it it had fired a hand full of shots, and was in 99% condition. we paid a premium for it. but its a very nice example of an early brno.

double set triggers (the best sort in my opinion) wearing a meopta 7x50 ontop.

i use it for my sporting competitions, and when i do my part (happens every now and then) it wins competitions.

it has also won a few of the casual bench rest comps we have at our club.

1/4 of inch groups are normal. with a more powerful scope and someone who can shoot straight :*) it would probably do alot better.

unfortuantly we need to work up the load again, as we have no once fired brass left (2nd hand brass came with the gun), but i dont think this will be an issue.

Have you put many rounds threw it?

Someone told me the other day that Hornets can last for 10,000 rounds plus :rolleyes:

I wonder is this true, what do you think?

no doubt at all they are good for 10,000

we have probably shot 1250 through it over the 3 years.

i would expect most barrels in all but the hotest rifles to do at least 10,000.

our hornet isnt exactly blisteringly fast, but its still doing 3250fps with as much 'lil gun' as you can fit in the case (not a compressed load though) this is using the hornady Vmax 35grain. awful BCO so it tails off at 160.

ontop of this, my tame RFD says that Brno make some of the best factory barrels you can get. i dont know why, but he knows his stuff, so im not going to doubt him.

our Sako in .222 has probably had 6 or 7000 through it, and its still going very strong indeed. modern barrels dont burn out as quick i am lead to believe.