Deformed Rabbit

henry d

A Gamekeeper pal of mine has had this in his beaters bothy for a couple of years.

He caught it in a drop box and it was healthy enough.

I have shot similar one but the lower teeth were not as long and the top were ground flat against the lower set.

Anyone else seen anything similar and how often??

Cheers guys :rolleyes:

:lol::D;)

Never seen one like that before. :rolleyes:

I think its something to do with them not being able to keep the teeth worn on hard surfaces.

This is unheard of in the wild as its more of a domestic bunny problem, as in the wild they are well able to keep their teeth worn down.

I beleive it's a hormone imbalance, same thing happens to rats and mice and squirrels. Did see something on a vets programme once.

Frank you are correct with them gnawing thingd to keep there teeth in check, but when they have this hormone imbalance nothing can stop them growing.

I did shoot a squirrel a few years ago, had very long lower teeth but nothing that extreme.

As my other half say's "your full of useless information"

Ha i know different :rolleyes: Here go's

Proper wear of teeth depends on exact alignment of upper and lower jaws. If the upper and lower incisors (front teeth) are misaligned even one millimeter in immature bunnies, the problem will exacerbate as the animal matures because these teeth grow three to five inches a year! . Soon thee molar or cheek teeth become affected due to lack of grinding contact. It can take six months to over a year for you to notice a problem. The scientific name for this problem is malocclusion it’s also called “slobbers”, “wolf” “Scissor toothed” or “buck toothed”. It also mysteriously commonly occurs suddenly in older rabbits. The cause of this is unknown, but could include improper calcium/phosphorous diet ratio, broken molar teeth on the opposite side, or kidney disease.

Edited by kip270

Thanks for that 'useless info' :rolleyes::lol: Only kidding. ;)

All the same, its good to know these things if you ever get one in the wild.

Ill know now if i get one what has happened to it. ;)

By the way, like your cute little fox pic! :D;)

Edited by Frank

Thanks for that 'useless info' :D;) Only kidding. :P

All the same, its good to know these things if you ever get one in the wild.

Ill know now if i get one what has happened to it. :lol:

By the way, like your cute little fox pic! ;);)

watch it kip270

Frank will be haveing a pop at you he's certainly not a lady killer from what ive heard but he is a bloody good fox killer. :rolleyes::lol::lol::P:P:)