Mossburg Slugster

throdgrain

You can buy rifled barrels for slugs. Common in the USA. This then makes the shotgun FAC section 1, as it is now classed as a rifle and not a smoothbore 'shotgun' :thumbs:

And as BW says you also need an allocation on your FAC ticket to buy and hold solid slugs.

Edited by marlin.45

You could only have it as a smoothbore 3 shot on a sgc or a smoothbore 5 shot on fac

You're actually allowed more the 5 capacity on FAC shotguns, it's a pretty common misconception though as most semi's and pump's come from the factory with this capacity as it doesn't spoil the looks of the gun (i.e. the magazine tube doesn't protrude from the end of the forestock). You can buy mag extension tubes from quite a lot of gunshops though. :thumbs:

Know this is an o/u but some of the beretta ultralights have a rifled bottom barrel, no idea why, but the ultralight SR do, and thats fine on a SGC.

Probably built for the European shooting market, driven deer and boar shooting with shotguns is very common on the continent, a rifled and smooth barrel covers you for most situations.

we talking on the shoot today and supposedly you can get rifled chockes for shotguns

A quick google search proved you are right.

some of the beretta ultralights have a rifled bottom barrel, no idea why, but the ultralight SR do, and thats fine on a SGC

Actually, no its not OK. If it is a combination gun (as is so popular on the Continent) with one smooth bored barrel and one rifled, you need an FAC.

A shotgun is ;

A shotgun is a smooth bore gun (not being an air-weapon) which . . .

has a barrel not less than 60.96 cm (24 inches) in length and does not have any barrel with a bore that exceeds 5.08 cm (2 inches), in diameter AND

either has no magazine, or a non detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges AND

is not a revolver gun.

Other smooth bore guns may require a firearms certificate or even be prohibited weapons.

(see http://www.scotlandyard.police.uk/firearms...s/s_whatis.htm)

Now it is just possible that someone has something resembling a SG which the FEO has not checked properly (I don't remember them ever looking down the barrel of my guns for rifling) - but they are in for a nasty shock when they do. It's not worth it.

Hope this helps

B

>Not quite - Section 5 covers 'prohibited weapons' (SMGs, gas guns etc.). Section 1 covers FAC weapons.

It would be a self loading rifled barrel weapon which is prohibited, i.e. section 5

Rifled chokes are also illegal for this reason

>You're actually allowed more the 5 capacity on FAC shotguns

Pretty sure mossberg only do upto 5 on the 500 model because on the config of the barrel mount to mag tube

>So... is the Mossburg rifled?

If it is you can't own it sorry :thumbs:

>I can buy a Mossburg Slugster (NOT a 500, a pump action that fires single slugs) on a SGC.

No you couldn't own or buy slugs on an SGC, yes in theory you could own the gun and it 'could' fire slugs but you couldn't buy slugs.

Edited by rarms

• 5 months later...
It would be a self loading rifled barrel weapon which is prohibited, i.e. section 5

No - 'self loading' means a semi auto - not a pump actioned SG. You can have one (its not a prohibited weapon as defined under Section 5) - but you need a FAC.

And if it is a slugster it will be bored 'True Cylinder' - therefore absolutely no choke. Not very useful unless very close - or using slugs.

B

That would be an excellent weapon.

Pump action factor.

Versatile because you could also have a smoothbore barrel.

Could use it for foxes and would be inexpensive to use not to mention wild boar.

This cant be right, surely a rifled barrel pump action is illegal. :angry:

If it isnt then can you hold a restricted pump action on your SGC (3 shot) then have a rifled barrel for it and have a tube extention on your fac so you can convert it to a FAC shotty?

>its not a prohibited weapon as defined under Section 5

I think you'll find a rifled pump action rifle/shotgun (i.e. in this case a rifled barrel on a Mossberg pump action) is PROHIBITED under UK law and would fall into SECTION 5 of the firearms act. Only rifles allowed to be pump action are in .22rf format, they are in the same boat as semi-autos

<EDIT>

Firearms Guidance, Chapter 3, PROHIBITED WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION:

ii) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun

other than one which is chambered for

.22 rimfire cartridges (section 5(1)(ab)

</EDIT>