GOLF COURSE RESULTS.

Frank

calling foxes with your hands is a bit of an art i believe, i know two guys who can do it, one shoots 150+ a year the other is just a amazing source of any field craft related information, and at 70+ blinded in one eye and shooting off his left shoulder, he still shoots better than me.

i think with practice it will come. personally ive practed and all i can hear is the foxes laughing :*)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many foxes he shoots in a season? It would be intersting to know. Must be hundreds.

Calling foxes in from along way is not too diffucult, if the fox is willing to respond to the call, iv done it a few times.

Once i called a fox by just making churping noises, like you would call a dog from not too far away. The fox in question was around 200 yds away :sly: Unbeliaveble, it wasn't that loud aswell, he came like a bullet, had to stop him by shouting,'HEY. :devil:

A friend had one of his dvds and it said on the back, from memory, the numbers weren't all that astounding, 100-150 a year I think.

A friend had one of his dvds and it said on the back, from memory, the numbers weren't all that astounding, 100-150 a year I think.

So its about avarege then. Well it is in my neck of the woods anyhow. :devil:

Altough this year so far has been poor for me with one thing and another :sly: .

The weather has been a real pain this year, more fog then usual and extra rain. :devil:

Not that it does not rain much here, as it does, but this year has been extra.

Hopeing to get out this evening, if the rain keeps off, their is a couple of more lamb killers i have to deal with. :devil:

like i said, i have a mate who does the fox control and takes aprox 150 a year every year, this is done mainly on 1 very large phesant shoot, and one small one. he dosent spend every hour of darkness lamping, he lamps 2 or 3 times most weeks, he takes 2 - 6 almost every outing, sometimes more, it soon mounts up.

hopefully once i have a car i can get onto some of mine and my dads permission and start getting a decent number of foxes.

he takes 2 - 6 almost every outing, sometimes more, it soon mounts up.

It mounts up alright and its amazing how it does too when you get carried away.

I go out about twice a week when i get the chance. Avarege being 3 to 6 in one night, sometimes it can take a few hours, other times iv been out 1/2 hour and got 4, its different everytime i go out, thats what keeps it intersting. :devil: Plus its a job well done for the farmer aswell. :devil:

Cant beat it, cant think of anything better. :sly::devil:

Going tonight myself Frank weather permitting, looks a bit dull at the mo but I live in hope. We'll compare notes tomorrow, I'll hardly run into you unless you travel about 100miles north and me a hundred miles south. Best of luck tonight.

Thanks mate. :)

Did not get out tonight, forgot i had to take my young lad out to his gym class he has started. :sly:

But am definately going out tommorow night, plenty foxes about, they are all mating now and are silly, well some of them. :devil::devil:

Hope you have a good night and post any results, i want to see all shot, smelly or not. :devil::devil:

Raining most the evening up here so like yourself didn't get out, will try again tonight. As you said some foxes will be pairing up, would you use dog fox and vixen calls more this time of year or do you stick to what works 90% of the time.

Hi Gary,

It chucked it down here too so was glad i could not get out. But am going tonight come hail, wind or snow, rain whatever. :devil:

I use any call thats to hand, the old aro board is deadly at times.

I got one of them fox whistles, apparently its deadly, have been practicing, and been getting some sorta noise out od it and have actually got a couple of foxes with it. :sly::devil:

I got it from the link below:

http://www.foxshot.co.uk/FoxCall.html

When im after a lamp shy fox that is getting in trouble by lamb killing ect, i bait the area for a day or 2 with my dead fish bait and hunt it at dawn. Most times i get succsess, but not allways.

I tend to find that if roug foxes are in the area causing problems, they usually come to the bait fairly quickly. :devil:

The best of luck tonight, we must meat up some night for a session of lamping and have some crack? :devil:

I got one of those fox whistles last year and have practiced a lot with it, I am not confident enough with it yet to try it on a fox. Sometimes when I position it and blow all that comes out of it is a flurry of spit, not great at attracting charlie, will stick at it as a few lads on here speak very highly of it. I have a baby girl (3months this Friday) and some of her bits and bobs have some lovely squeakers in them, I robbed one from one of her bibs last night (not proud) and was going to try it, will give it a spin tonight, gives a nice high pitched squeak. Just don't tell mammy..........

we must meat up some night for a session of lamping and have some crack? :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol::D

What do you find is the best Fox call that you use Frank? Oh sorry bout the quite, but you see how it reads. :lol:

I think it is 'Craic' Axe, not the Coumbian Marching Powder that the boys with Range Rover Sports sell to teenagers :lol:

we must meat up some night for a session of lamping and have some crack? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::D

What do you find is the best Fox call that you use Frank? Oh sorry bout the quite, but you see how it reads. :P

I think it is 'Craic' Axe, not the Coumbian Marching Powder that the boys with Range Rover Sports sell to teenagers :lol:

Sorry, for those of you who dont know, Craic, is having a bit of fun and enjoying what you are doing. :lol:

Hi all

What do ye do with the foxes carcass after shooting them.I cut off the tails for the vermin count between the gun clubs and dispose of the body but it kills me to do this as i think they have such a amazing pelt that there has to be some other uses for them

Hi john, i see you are not too far from me. :lol:

I sell my fox carcasess as i have said before, to a fella up north Roscommon, who collacts them from me at a meating place.

It seems to have been slack this year though, as he has no need for any much this year :lol: and i thought the fur trade was going up. :lol:

I got one of those fox whistles last year and have practiced a lot with it, I am not confident enough with it yet to try it on a fox. Sometimes when I position it and blow all that comes out of it is a flurry of spit, not great at attracting charlie, will stick at it as a few lads on here speak very highly of it. I have a baby girl (3months this Friday) and some of her bits and bobs have some lovely squeakers in them, I robbed one from one of her bibs last night (not proud) and was going to try it, will give it a spin tonight, gives a nice high pitched squeak. Just don't tell mammy..........

Hi Gary, had a poor night last night, how did you get on?

We saw some foxes, but all were pretty spooked and ran off. :lol:

Got no shot, :lol: then the rain got havier, making visability bad, so we packed up.

Was only out for a couple of hours. :lol:

Hope you had better results?

Hi all

What do ye do with the foxes carcass after shooting them.I cut off the tails for the vermin count between the gun clubs and dispose of the body but it kills me to do this as i think they have such a amazing pelt that there has to be some other uses for them

Hi john, i see you are not too far from me. :lol:

I sell my fox carcasess as i have said before, to a fella up north Roscommon, who collacts them from me at a meating place.

It seems to have been slack this year though, as he has no need for any much this year :lol: and i thought the fur trade was going up. :lol:

Hi Frank

Heard there was someone buying the pelts but asked the so called experts who seem to know everything about everything in a few gun clubs but no one could give me any info on who it was.It is a pity that there is not much demand for the pelts this year as i have never seen foxes with such good coats as i have this winter and it breaks my heart to just cut the tail off them and bury the carcass.Had one in the freezer that was shot the start of september last that had a white stripe going from his nose to the tip of his tail and was meaning on getting him stuffed along with a ginger rabbit and a white magpie i had shot but the freezer packed up and i did not notice it for a while and the whole lot of them had to be dumped.

******* chucked it down last night Frank, getting very frustrated. Forcast is good for Friday night so we are gunning for that. I may have a number of a guy taking pelts, if i have I'll e-mail it onto you John.

Likewise Gary. Im out Friday night too, in a different area so hopefully will have some luck. :rolleyes:

i find the smell of intestines attracks the fox very quickly, lamp a few rabits and when u find one you dont want to eat, slash open the belly so u spill the intestines, it smells awful but the smell attracks a scavenger in no time, any1 use this method?

Yes sir i have, bur the fox usually grabs the bunny and pegs it to a safer place to eat it or bury it. :rolleyes: Though not allways. B)

i forgot to add, ill lie wait down wind with the rifle trained on the carcass as soon as it pops up to take a peak (**noise of a silenced rifle**) and there u have one for the photo albumn

Yes, this method can work quiet well if the fox stays for a while and is not lamp shy. :rolleyes: