At last a good day - for me!

shoughton

My pigeon shooting has been pretty rubbish - on my main shoot I hardly even see any pigeons. I've managed ones and twos and even totally blanked as the birds just aren't there to decoy.

I recently acquired some new shooting on some land only about 5 miles away from my main shoot. When I first walked it I put up hundreds and hundreds of pigeons feeding on wheat stubble and harvested peas (now shooting again). So this was where they were all hiding.

The farmer told me where all the flight lines were and had even set up a pallet hide for me in the pea field. I went along Sunday and had some great shooting - the birds were frequent and fully committing to my decoys - landing perfectly in the killing zone almost every time. In a couple of hours I managed 10 birds for 12 cartridges - which is the best day I've ever had.

Lots of people on here are lucky enough to regularly shoot large bags - but I genuinely haven't had the opportunity in the 2 years I've had my SGC. It was simply fantastic to experience some good pigeon shooting and confirmed my belief that it's probably my favourite shooting. I've paid for driven days last season and shot duck, pheasant and partridge - but this 2 hours on the pigeons was outstanding!

It was just a shame that my wife wasn't too well and I didn't want to leave her too long. But she's fine now and I can't wait to get back!

Steve

My pigeon shooting has been pretty rubbish - on my main shoot I hardly even see any pigeons. I've managed ones and twos and even totally blanked as the birds just aren't there to decoy.

I recently acquired some new shooting on some land only about 5 miles away from my main shoot. When I first walked it I put up hundreds and hundreds of pigeons feeding on wheat stubble and harvested peas (now shooting again). So this was where they were all hiding.

The farmer told me where all the flight lines were and had even set up a pallet hide for me in the pea field. I went along Sunday and had some great shooting - the birds were frequent and fully committing to my decoys - landing perfectly in the killing zone almost every time. In a couple of hours I managed 10 birds for 12 cartridges - which is the best day I've ever had.

Lots of people on here are lucky enough to regularly shoot large bags - but I genuinely haven't had the opportunity in the 2 years I've had my SGC. It was simply fantastic to experience some good pigeon shooting and confirmed my belief that it's probably my favourite shooting. I've paid for driven days last season and shot duck, pheasant and partridge - but this 2 hours on the pigeons was outstanding!

It was just a shame that my wife wasn't too well and I didn't want to leave her too long. But she's fine now and I can't wait to get back!

Steve

happy days

Steve

Steve

Not wrong there mate! :good::good::good:

I can completely relate to that! Big bags arent everything! Good prospects for future shooting there by the sounds of it! How did you have your decoys set up and did you use a spinner?

I was using just 8 real bird decoys (in cradles) from previous days - they had had their breasts removed but nobody seemed to notice! They were 25 yards away in a standard horseshoe shape enhanced with 4 or 5 flocked shell decoys. No magnets or spinners - still in construction - but I didn't need them anyway on that day!

Steve

every day i go out is a gr8 day and i dont do big bags i just enjoy the shoot and fresh air